Author Topic: When did Agnes Alexander/Ireland arrive in Australia from Scotland?  (Read 1088 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Arrival of Scots women Agnes IRELAND and Elizabeth Low IRELAND in Sydney
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Please consider asking for this thread to be merged with the current thread on this board, as there is a great deal of info there, including for example the suggestion for info from NSW death cert.

From their death certificates, list all the information given.
Elizabeth Toyer died in 1929,Burwood.

I’m looking for arrival information for two Scots women who came to Sydney in the late 19th century. They travelled separately. I would appreciate anyone who has in-depth knowledge of shipping lists or other arrivals information who may be able to help. Thanks so much.

1. Agnes Dick Alice ALEXANDER
- born 1839, Dundee, Scotland
- married name IRELAND (Thomas Ireland b 1836)
- children – James Playfair IRELAND (1861-1892), Alexander IRELAND (1863-1871), Elizabeth Low IRELAND (1866-1929), Janet Duff (Jessie) IRELAND (1868-1943)

It seems Agnes left Thomas in 1869, but we don’t know when she came to Australia – possibly in 1970. We believe she came with her youngest daughter, but the other children remained in Scotland.  She had an illegitimate daughter (Agnes Alexander) born in Sydney, April 1871, and lived (in Paddington) with her husband’s great-great uncle who died by suicide in 1874. Judging by other documents, it’s possible she may have used Alexander as her surname.

2. Elizabeth Low IRELAND
- daughter of the above
- born St Andrews and St Leonards, Fife, Scotland
- left with aunt (Ann Ireland/Wallace) when mother moved to Australia
- possibly working as a general servant in 1881 census

Elizabeth may have arrived with her grandmother, Elizabeth Low (Donald) and other family members by the name of LOW or DONALD. She married Frederick Toyer in Sydney in 1892.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: When did Agnes Alexander/Ireland arrive in Australia from Scotland?
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 07:39 GMT (UK) »

"... I was mostly curious about when she came to Australia."

The death certificate for Agnes ANDERSON, died 1925 Sydney, will ask for ...years in the colony.

Please consider merging the new thread on this board with this still current thread

JM

Threads merged.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arrival of Scots women Agnes IRELAND and Elizabeth Low IRELAND in Sydney
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 07:48 GMT (UK) »
NSW State Archives has the incoming passenger and crew manifests for the colonial era.  Many are fully digitised and freely available from their website and/or the reliable mariners website.  The live links are found in RChats excellent Australia Resources Board and the sub boards ....

JM

Offline Westby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: When did Agnes Alexander/Ireland arrive in Australia from Scotland?
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks majm and others.  I completely forgot I'd already posted some of this info. I should have checked. 
Bayley family of Westmorland (Casterton/Kirkby Lonsdale) and Lancashire (Barton, Birkdale) during the period 1750 - 1911.
Willan family of Westmorland and Lancashire.
Easthope family - mostly Gloucestershire/London
Jeffords