Author Topic: What happened to Joseph Johnston, after 1913, in Shankhill  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Joseph Johnston, after 1913, in Shankhill
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 November 20 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to Sam Barry and John, and others, I have the dates of death of Joseph Johnston and his wife Annie nee Moore, but I don't know what became of their children with the exception of Sarah Anne who married William Hawe in 1919, and one of the witnesses was her sister Emma, who was unmarried in 1919. Joseph's son William died in 1910. But what became of Elizabeth, John, Emma, Maggie and Sophia? I thought Sophia should be easy to trace because of unusual first name but that doesn't seem to be the case. Joseph's sister Annie moved to Salford, Lancashire before 1891 and apparently died there although I have yet to find her date of death, supposedly between 1932-1944.
Peggy

Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 November 20 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Belfast Telegraph, 7 May 1934:
JOHNSTON - May 7, 1934, at her father's residence, 46 Wyndham Street, Sophia, the youngest and dearly-loved daughter of Joseph and the late Annie Johnston.  Funeral from above address on Wednesday, 9th, at 2 p.m. (by motor) for Magherafelt Old Churchyard. "At Home with the Lord." JOSEPH JOHNSTON.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 November 20 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Belfast Telegraph, 7 August 1952:
JOHNSTON - August 5, 1952 (suddenly), at Hopefield Hospital, Portrush, Emma, dearly-loved daughter of the late Joseph and Annie Johnston (late of Wyndham St., Belfast). Funeral from her sister's residence, 35 Lever Road, Portstewart, to Carnmoney, tomorrow (Friday), 8th, at 2 p.m., arriving Glengormley approx. 4 p.m. - Deeply regretted by her loving Brother and sisters, Nephew and Nieces. At Home with the Lord.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 November 20 01:36 GMT (UK) »

Belfast Telegraph, 7 August 1952:
JOHNSTON - August 5, 1952 (suddenly), at Hopefield Hospital, Portrush, Emma, dearly-loved daughter of the late Joseph and Annie Johnston (late of Wyndham St., Belfast). Funeral from her sister's residence, 35 Lever Road, Portstewart, to Carnmoney, tomorrow (Friday), 8th, at 2 p.m., arriving Glengormley approx. 4 p.m. - Deeply regretted by her loving Brother and sisters, Nephew and Nieces. At Home with the Lord.

Belfast Newsletter, 11 July 1951: HAWE - July 10, 1951, at 35, Lever Road, Portstewart, William, beloved husband of Sarah Hawe. Funeral to Agherton Cemetery to-morrow (Thursday), July 12, at 2-30 p.m. House private. Deeply regretted by his sorrowing Wife and Family. At Home with the Lord.

Belfast Telegraph, 27 April 1964: HAWE - April 25, 1964 (suddenly), at her son-in-law's residence, 57 Lever Road, Portstewart, SARA, beloved wife of the late William Hawe,  Interred in Agherton Cemetery. - Deeply regretted by the Family Circle, Portstewart and Belfast.  At home with the Lord.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 November 20 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Gaffy, you are incredible. Thanks so much for finding these children of Joseph and Annie. Here I was wondering if they had all emigrated or something as they had all evaporated. I couldn't find any marriages. Looks like Emma and Sophia did not marry. Since I only had one brother John for Emma (after Willie died in 1910), John must have died after Emma's death in 1952. There is mention of one nephew to Emma in 1952.
That leaves Maggie and Elizabeth for the girls.
Thanks again
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 November 20 06:22 GMT (UK) »
By luck, I found the death of Margaret Johnston, Aug 2, 1920, her residence 46 Wyndham so she is the daughter of Joseph and Annie. Her brother J. Johnston in attendance.  That leaves only Elizabeth for the girls and brother John to find.
Peggy

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 November 20 10:15 GMT (UK) »
John's death notice appeared in the Belfast Telegraph of 12 February 1960: JOHNSTON - February 12, 1960, at his residence, 13 Cliftondene Park, JOHN, dearly-loved husband of ELLEN (NELLIE) JOHNSTON. - Deeply regretted by his loving sisters, E. McDowell and S. Hawe, Nephew and Nieces, Belfast and Portstewart. Phil i, 19.

He was buried at Carnmoney Cemetery. GRONI shows reported age at death as 70.

Johnston, John of 13 Cliftondene Park Belfast retired joiner died 12 February 1960 Probate Belfast 23 March to [full name withheld - could be alive] shop manager. Effects £1780. (PRONI Will Calendars - check the entry yourself to see the full name withheld... it is a Hawe)

The street directories on the Lennon Wylie website show him at that address in the 1943, 1951 and 1960 issues (occupation = joiner).  John Johnston married Ellen Meneely in 1913:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1913/09887/5592019.pdf

So it looks like you're now only left with Elizabeth Johnston, GRONI has a Belfast registered marriage in that name to a Samuel McDowell (9 May 1936), in addition there are a couple of Belfast Telegraph death notices for an Elizabeth McDowell, wife of the late Samuel McDowell, formerly of 22 Eia Street, who died on 3 August 1975 and was buried at Carnmoney Cemetery, a niece and nephew with the surname Hawe are referenced, hence my mentioning it here... you'll probably need to view the above 1936 marriage to rule this one in or out. Samuel McDowell died just 6 years later in 1942, but there are no clues in the death notice for him.

McDowell Samuel of 22 Eia Street Belfast blacksmith died 23 August 1942 at The Mater Infirmorum Hospital Belfast Administration Belfast 29 October to Elizabeth McDowell the widow. Effects £822 16s. 3d. (PRONI  Will Calendars)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 November 20 16:22 GMT (UK) »
You've done it, Gaffy. I paid for the marriage of Elizabeth Johnston to Samuel McDowell, and her father was Joseph, joiner, and her address was 46 Wyndham.
I checked the will of John Johnston in 1960 and probate was to John Johnston Hawe.
Joseph had all those children and so few grandchildren. 2 or more Hawes, only one male Hawe and perhaps some girls to John Johnston.
Thanks ever so much for your marvellous help.
Peggy

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 November 20 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Good stuff, I thought that names like John Johnston and Elizabeth Johnston would be a needle in a haystack (compared to forenames like Emma and Sophia), but the Hawe surname cropping up in various references was a game changer.