Author Topic: Seeking RONSON (Dalston) family history  (Read 2380 times)

Offline ABC1876

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking RONSON (Dalston) family history
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 03 September 20 22:03 BST (UK) »
LM we’ve still got a long way to go to catch up with KB’s stars  :D

I’m still trying to find a marriage for a John Hodgson to Henrietta Ronson
to check if she’s the correct person but I’ve drawn a blank  ???

I have found widowed John on 1911 census with his four children, if John & Henrietta married it should be around 1871  :-\ number of children 8 (2 died)

Thankyou, yes, Henrietta died in 1910 so she'd be about 55.   What hard lives they all had.  At least my Grandma's life after she married and had her own children, was slightly better.   Goodnight and thankyou.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 03 September 20 22:21 BST (UK) »
Possible  Anthony on 1841 ,transcribed as Transon

Possible parents
Anthony and Mary

He is also on1851 and 1861 and he has been found on 1871, because he was born before 1837 he won't have been registered as such, but with a Christian name of Anthony he shouldn't be to difficult to find a baptism for

Hope you warmed  up your cuppa, we have all been there

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 03 September 20 22:28 BST (UK) »
If you can access Ancestry family  trees there's a comprehensive tree including Anthony and his father Anthony,
  makes interesting reading

Louisa Maud

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 04 September 20 20:09 BST (UK) »

My interest began with a quest to find out about Henrietta who I believe must be my Great Grandma, in order to find out more about Emily's early life.   

I've sent off for Henrietta's death certificate and I will investigate her baptism records

Please come back and let us know if the d/c was helpful

Could I just set out what I'm understanding so far - which could so easily be way off the mark.

I'll refer to RONSON every time rather than the other variations of the spelling.

WILLIAM RONSON (b1812) marries MARY PICKERBY RONSON (nee Moor?) (b1820)

1851 census there's :

HANNAH PICKERBY RONSON  (2)
MARY ELISA (4)
SARAH ANN (10)    which confirms Keyboard 86 findings in the 1841 Census where she was 0.
JOHN (11)

Henrietta hasn't been born yet, she comes along in 1855.

1861 Census.
Henrietta is 6.

1871 Census
She's living with her unmarried Uncle ANTHONY RONSON and his sister ..   Who is he then?

1881 Census
Henrietta is "with" JOHN HODGSON and has
ELIZABETH (4)
ROBERT (1)
[Meanwhile My Grandma Emily is living with her grandparents]

1891 Census
[Emily aged 16 is now a lodger with the Thompson family]
Henrietta still with HODGSON but listed as HANNAH (just coincidence that her sister was Hannah, but she died in 1864) and she now has the following children:

*ELIZABETH (14)
William ROBERT (12) (this is presumably the ROBERT mentioned in 1881)
*MARY ELIZABETH (is she the same one as above ie.(14)
SARAH (4)
JOHN (2)

[Meanwhile My Grandma EMILY has got married to my Grandad in December quarter 1894]

1901 Census
Henrietta still with John Hodgson and has
ELIZH (20)  (can't work out if this age could be right...shouldn't she be 24?)
SARAH (14)
JOHN T (12)

OK, if that is basically right.....then I'm not sure I am going to follow up on the Moor (Moore) side and this Francis chap.  I think I'd get too distracted from my objective if I start to follow "that lot" (for want of a more respectful way of putting it)!

I'd be grateful for any comments as to whether I've understood and linked everything properly and if so, this puts me in a really good position now to move on to my next bit of the family !!!   

I think you’ve summerized very well all the info. given .

I would be happier if we could find a marriage for John Hodgson to Henrietta Ronson to be 100% certain.......we know Henrietta was on 1871 census and noted as single (census night 2nd April).
It might be worth looking for John Hodgson on earlier censuses to see where he was living and with whom.

I had a look to see if I could find a marriage for William Ronson to Mary Rickerby Moore but have not found anything.....1851 census gives Mary’s pob as Liverpool this appears to be her baptism

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html
1817 Baptism St Peter Liverpool  Mary Rickerby Moore parents John Moore & Mary

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 04 September 20 20:18 BST (UK) »
ABC, I like  your enthusiasm  and the way you have gone about it, please let us know what info you glean on the cert(s) you have ordered , unfortunately so many names are spelt differently  which really makes it more difficult

Happy Hunting

Louisa Maud

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline ABC1876

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 04 September 20 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi again,  I was dreaming about all this last night - I never knew I had this investigative streak.  It's quite funny because I'm hogging the laptop for a change and instead of nattering about miscellaneous stuff during the evening I'm finding myself suddenly saying  " You see,  listen to this,  this is interesting.... well fancy that..... etc etc"..

I considered joining Ancestry, I believe its about £70 but it seems that certificates cost more than GRO ones.  I've paid £11 but they seem to be £25.  It would be beneficial I guess to have information available in one place,  but I'm getting on OK with BMD and the sites you have all kindly mentioned.   FreeUKGenealogy gives me access to the Census forms too.

I'm really not sure whether to join it or not - because the website is rather  vague about just what you get for your money - the emphasis is on doing the free 14 day trial.

I'm intrigued to find out what the interesting reading is on the Ancestry tree for Anthony and his father.  I don't feel any connection as such though because I don't really understand who he is, but maybe I'll turn my attention his way when I've written out everything else you've helped with. 

I've got my lining paper ready and, having printed all the replies I've had from this helpful and friendly site, I'll be starting tomorrow to get at least my Mum's side of the family documented. 

I'm a bit further on with my Dad's but I have the inevitable question marks on his Tree too - so you'll see ABC again for sure !   

I really appreciate your comments.  I feel sure that this is the right Henrietta, but I understand how easy it must be to latch on to the wrong one, so I'll carry on looking for any evidence that they were married. 

Having never joined a site before, I must say that I'm so impressed with the responses I've had, from people prepared to give advice and help to novices like me and, unusually these days, for no personal gain - except the satisfaction of sharing enthusiam for this fascination with family history.  Thank you.

Offline ABC1876

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 04 September 20 22:04 BST (UK) »
As soon as I get Henrietta's death certificate I'll let you know. 

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 05 September 20 19:58 BST (UK) »
Same as everyone else not finding a birth entry for Henrietta - there is this baptism but it’s only a transcription

Henrietta Baptism 27 Feb 1859 Place   Dalston Cumberland
parents    William Ronson and Mary

ABC - there’s also a baptism on family search for a Martha Ronson same date, place and parents names as Henrietta https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J3XW-NRG

Does anyone know if Cumberland Baptisms are available to view online?

GRO indexes has this birth entry

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

RONSON, MARTHA    mmn   MOOR 
1858  D Quarter in CARLISLE  Volume 10B  Page 373

Possible death entry from GRO indexes

RONSON, MARTHA   age    1 
1859  D Quarter in CARLISLE  Volume 10B  Page 281
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ABC1876

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 07 September 20 15:58 BST (UK) »
Thankyou once more.  I'm still waiting for Henrietta's death certificate but it's due this week.   I'm tempted to open a new topic for my Grandad's family but that might be too adventurous yet!   

Does anyone have any recommendations for Family Tree Templates please, there's so many online,  but I've fancied including bits of interesting information and/or pictures next to some of the people - and most  templates I've seen are limited to just a name and birth, marriage or death dates. I think in the future, when I've popped my clogs, it'd be nice to have bits of notes "my grandma had beautiful long auburn hair so long that she could sit on it" - with photo evidence etc. 

Speaking of clogs - one of my relatives was a clogger and had a shop on Penny Meadow, in Ashton-Under-Lyne.  Crikey I need to rein myself in, because that's yet another road to travel.  I can see I'll be making myself a packed lunch and a flask before long !!