Author Topic: 2nd Cousin with 364 cM across 13 Segments  (Read 3962 times)

guest189040

Re: 2nd Cousin with 364 cM across 13 Segments
« Reply #36 on: Friday 23 October 20 22:24 BST (UK) »
Quick resume

A couple of weeks later and I am still none the wiser.

I have the Floating Branch with five DNA matches who are now linked to each other, they originate in Bradford and my Grandfather was my only Grandparent from here.  Another DNA Match has the same Ancestral Surname but the link to the other five is still unknown. There is still no link from this Floating Tree to my Main Tree and hence to me.

Update

I have two more DNA matches who also have the same Ancestral Surname in their trees but as yet I have not followed up on this.

Then I considered that maybe one of my ancestors was the product of an illicit liaison but that does not pan out in my mind.

My Maternal Great Grandmother had a Brother and his Great Granddaughter is a DNA Match to me but not to those I write about above.  I also have three DNA Matches who link to her Grandparents

On my Maternal Great Grandfather’s side of the family I have two DNA Matches, one each in his Father’s and Mother’s lines.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 24 October 20 00:48 BST (UK) »
Thst was going to be my next suggestion to look at great grandparents ;
 do they all originate from same area as their respective chdildren and did any of their children go to Canada .

Many people dont put grandmothers maiden names on their trees .because they dont know it Or because they prefer to put under married names .

At least your floating branches are out there for new testees to find .

Have you blue tagged them as dna connection ? I think that can be a motivator for the closedtree ers to contact
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 24 October 20 00:53 BST (UK) »
Ps dont forget to check for first marriages
Just had a case of a man with wife Ann on every census but turned out two different Anns so cousins were only half cousins etc down the generations .

guest189040

« Reply #39 on: Saturday 24 October 20 12:35 BST (UK) »
Brigitmac

My Grandparents were from North Lancashire, Cheshire, Monmouthshire and West Yorkshire.

Great Grandparents were from the same areas which is why I am sure it is the Yorkshire in origin as it was only through WW1 that my Lancashire and Monmouthshire Grandparents met in Monmouth and my Yorkshire and Cheshire Grandparents met in Cheshire.  Hence no interaction between Great Grandparents could have taken place.

It was my Yorkshire/Cheshire Grandparents that went to Canada and my Mother and her Sister were born there hence no doubt whatsoever as to my own Maternal Grandparents being blood relatives, I even look like my Yorkshire born Grandfather hence I have no doubt that my Great Grandparents are my blood relatives.

As I said prior my Great Grandmother had a Brother and my 3rd Cousin once removed is descended from him, we are in regular contact and she and I share 91cM DNA none of my DNA matches that follows show up in her DNA Matches

The five tree linked DNA matches I have share the name Belcher (originally from Ireland) and all are Yorkshire born and their cM is 68, 104,  121, 148, & 364.  There is a sixth who has the surname but is not yet linked to the other five & has 46cM, additionally there are two others with lower cM who also have Belcher’s in their trees.

To say that I am Belchered Out is an understatement ;-)

Thanks for the marriages tip I will hunt that out later.

PS
I have even written out the tree on paper of the five matches to try to make sense of it, ...... and failed

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 24 October 20 12:57 BST (UK) »
I think you've done amazingly well and am about to attempt the same procedures for my cousin to work out his paternal matches .his results just in
Also this morning finally had reply from a match who I wrote to last year she's an adoptee but who knows shared matches may unravel something

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 24 October 20 16:48 BST (UK) »
I must be really boring, half of me would like a DNA test and the other half doesn't,  if I found  out my gt grandfather wasn't the Swedish man I have been led to believe I would be very upset, but on the other hand I have been told my grandfather was Welsh, well he or his  forbears weren't , I have searched them way back in London, so I'm a bit mixed really.
Haven't much of a clue about the gargon either and I can't be the only one

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

guest189040

« Reply #42 on: Saturday 24 October 20 17:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for talking the time to read my posts and to comment so supportively on them.

We are glad that we did take the DNA test and I am now at 41 Matches that are now linked in to my own tree and this has certainly helped in confirming that various branches of my tree now have a higher probability of being correct.

This afternoon I have been writing out on an A4 pad my tree from my Mother’s Paternal Grandparents backwards in time.

On this written tree I have been annotating each xGGP pairing that I share with a DNA Match with the name of the DNA match, the predicted relationship to me and the actual relationship.

I have also included my 3rd Cousin once removed and labelled each of her branch members with my relationship to them.  So now I have a good visual aid that I can use to compare it with the Floating Branch (Belcher) Tree to then try to narrow down where the trees are likely to join.

I did wonder yesterday if one of my GGM’s Sisters was the actual Mother of my Grandfather, but the mapped out tree shows Seven DNA Matches from my Great Grandfather and his ancestors with there being at least one DNA Match per generation.

On my Great Grandmothers side if my family I have seven DNA matches to various ancestors but as I have said  my 3C1R does not link to any match on the Floating (Belcher) Tree so I can discount this side at least for now.

If you are concerned about what a DNA test will reveal I can only suggest that if you do take the test it can open up your tree considerably.

Both my Wife and I have found Gateway Ancestors and our DNA test results have given us links to other people who share the Gateway Ancestor and this has removed the doubts that we had about the validity of our Trees, as we have at least two DNA matches to or past our Gateway Ancestors.

So yes having a DNA Test has worked out well for us but as this thread shows it can be incredibly frustrating.

More ramblings to follow when I have something worthwhile to write.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 24 October 20 18:11 BST (UK) »
Biggles now youve proved your greatgrandparents are all yours
You have to question whether one of them was a parent of a floating branch where names dont match

My cousins dna matches are very exotic from all over ...first Ive got to work out his official paper lineage
Two single mothers in one line
Hes got a whole bunch of 4th cousin matches in Texas

But as far back as ive gone its all Yorkshire or Newcastle on his fathers side

Its  long slow detective work

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 26 October 20 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Louise Maud I was prepared for my father not to be his father s son and  I was half expectimg to have half uncles and aunts as my stepmum told me my grandparents had "an open marriage" but so far nothing like that .+ My father IS my father too .

I recommend it too