Author Topic: Edmunds in Cardiff and possibly Gloucester  (Read 507 times)

Offline mulberryhouse40

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edmunds in Cardiff and possibly Gloucester
« on: Wednesday 09 September 20 20:41 BST (UK) »
I have a couple of problems all to do with same family. I have mentioned it in past but now have some definate information. I am looking for Henry Edmunds ancestors.
Henry married Beatrice Callow in Cardiff in 1922. His father was Henry Edmunds and a bricklayer. Henry Jnr died on 9/4/1926 age 24 in Cardiff. There is no apparent birth certificate. He definitely had a sister Violet who married Arthur Brown in Cardiff and says she was born acc to 1939 register on 21/1/1902. That possibly is not true as her family had a troubled time and she needed a job so apparently started work at age 12. Her mother possibly is called Lilian or Lily. There is a family in Gloucester but not sure so starting from scratch.  Henry’s mother died apparently when the children were young and they were looked after by Bill and Susan Williams. Susan is the informant on Henry’s death certificate and named as an aunt. On 1939 register John William Williams and Susan Williams were living with Violet and her husband Arthur.
According to Henry’s death certificate he was a railwayman carriage cleaner
A member of the family has said he believes that Henry snr May have been in the First World War Gloucester regiment and won a medal.
I have looked everywhere I can think.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edmunds in Cardiff and possibly Gloucester
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi -there is a tree on a******y which gives Henry Edmunds senior 's wife as Lily Harford -however on Henry Edmunds Snr military records wife is named as LilyHarper and children of Henry and Lily are named as Lily, Henry, Violet and Lizzie
1908 when Henry signed up his next of kin wa given as Lilly Edmunds 2 Turks Yard Swan Lane Gloucester
Henry was age 30 on admission to Armed forces and gives place of birth as St Owens Hereford
His army record is no 8343 and he served from 11/03/1908 - 14/09/14 6 years service his occupation is given as labourer

Will see what else I can find

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 21:17 BST (UK) »
It seems there were more children -all b St Nicholas Gloucester
Lily the eldest then Henry(Harry),Violet and what seems to be her twin Elizabeth( but she wasnt her birth had been entered wrongly on 1911 census) and then Thomas
I will look for birth reg's and marriage reg for Henry senior

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 21:43 BST (UK) »
although on armed forces records Henry gives p.o.b. as Hereford on census he gives it as Birmingham-will investigate that more later
Edmunds is transcribed and entered as Edmonds sometimes
Lower West Gate St Nicholas Gloucestershire
Harry Edmonds Head MGeneral Hawker own a/c Birmingham Warwicks
Lilley wife 20 Bath Somerset
Lilley daughter 2Bristol Gloucester
RG132425 14 19

Baptism St Philip & St Jacob Bristol
Lily Edmunds
born 8 Apr 1899
christened 30 Apr 1899
father henry occ labourer
mother Lily
address Albion Place Dings

more to follow

Suz

Offline mulberryhouse40

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz
Thanks for looking at this. I have the information above and I think it is one of my trees on ancestry . On GRO it has a surname Harford, one certificate says Haford. Service records say Hasper. However I can’t find ancestors. Of either of them. I did find the births of children. However applied to GRO an they don’t have a birth certificate for Henry. I can’t find an actual connection but keep coming back to this. I am hoping that if Susan Williams is an aunt it may be that is a connection to his past.
Gill

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 23:24 BST (UK) »
I have found baptisms of the other children Thomas James died age 1 death reg Jun qtr 1911

there is a birth reg for Harry Edmunds but baptism shows All Saints Gloucester 18 Dec 1901 son of Henry and Louisa Ann of 134 Millbrook St fathers occ Labourer

I cannot find a marriage for Henry and Lily

but could this be Lily?
all are lodgers at
Licensed Lodging House 14- 15 King St New Swindon Wilts
Elizabeth Harford Lodger M 39 Cirencester
Annie Harford 4 Bath Somerset
Lily 7 Bath Somerset
RG12 1584 46 38

Suz

Offline mulberryhouse40

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 September 20 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz
yes I have this and was wondering the same. I keep coming across other names with this family but I can find no definate link. It is my husband s tree. He has done his dna but we can’t find any matches that we know connect to any of these people.
Thanks for your perseverance
Gill

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 September 20 00:24 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the John Williams b.c.1882 Mountain Ash with wife Susan b.c.1884 with 5 children by 1911??

Suz

Offline mulberryhouse40

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 September 20 10:16 BST (UK) »
No not seen that ..will have a look. Thanks