Author Topic: G.R.O delivery times  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: G.R.O delivery times
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 September 20 15:20 BST (UK) »
That's great to hear Boo.  ;D   Sounds like the GRO are catching up with the orders.  Perhaps more staff are now working at their offices so they can get through them faster.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 September 20 15:32 BST (UK) »
I've yet to hear about the incorrect certificate which I received. I sent the email form last Thursday and , apart from the automated response , I've heard nothing. I feel a bit miffed as it was a complete error on their part .
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ugo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 September 20 15:45 BST (UK) »
Wow it a bit  hit and miss

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 September 20 15:58 BST (UK) »
I've yet to hear about the incorrect certificate which I received. I sent the email form last Thursday and , apart from the automated response , I've heard nothing. I feel a bit miffed as it was a complete error on their part .

Even back in 'precedented times' (remember those?) the GRO reponse time to queries/ complaints was long. The usual standard within official depts was 10 working days - lord alone knows what that has stretched to at the mo.
(I have had a query lodged with DWP for 3 months now, despite being told when I lodged it that I would get a reply within 10 working days)
Boo

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: G.R.O delivery times :-)
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 September 20 08:48 BST (UK) »
Just to add to the recent impressive delivery times I ordered two pdf deaths at half past eight on the evening of the 23rd.

Expected delivery when I places the order was Wednesday 30th.

They were ready for me to download at twenty past three on the afternoon of the 25th :-)

What is annoying - but my fault as I should have thought this through before deciding to get the cert - is that one of them shows his place of death, which I already knew as documents relating to the 1890 inquest have survived and I've had a copy for many years, but doesn't tell me where he was living when he died.

He died in Birmingham General Hospital after an accident on New Street Station.

Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 September 20 11:43 BST (UK) »
PDF's in roughly 24 hours is an amazing level of service.
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: G.R.O delivery times :-)
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 26 September 20 11:53 BST (UK) »
Just to add to the recent impressive delivery times I ordered two pdf deaths at half past eight on the evening of the 23rd.

Expected delivery when I places the order was Wednesday 30th.

They were ready for me to download at twenty past three on the afternoon of the 25th :-)

What is annoying - but my fault as I should have thought this through before deciding to get the cert - is that one of them shows his place of death, which I already knew as documents relating to the 1890 inquest have survived and I've had a copy for many years, but doesn't tell me where he was living when he died.

He died in Birmingham General Hospital after an accident on New Street Station.

IF his name was George Simpson and he died in Sept 1890 at New St, there are reports of the inquest in the Birmingham papers - but, as you probably already know, they don't mention where he lived.
However there is also a small report of the accident in the Leamington Spa Courier on 13 Sep 1890 which describes him as a Leamington Man, though he had been 'recently removed to Birmingham' to work on the Stour Valley line, he was aged 47 and a widower. Again doesn't mention an address for him, but that may help to put him into context (if I have read the right inquest report)

Boo

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 26 September 20 13:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks no, it's Benjamin Bissell, death 21st January 1890.

He was a railway carriage cleaner and like I expect many workers took a shortcut when sent to clean carriages on a distant platform. He was "hard of hearing" according to the inquest and was crossing a track when a train he obviously hadn't heard coming came into view. He appears to have tried to squash himself up in the space between the train and the platform edge but his ribs were crushed and he died of his injuries in hospital
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 26 September 20 13:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks no, it's Benjamin Bissell, death 21st January 1890.

This looks like the right one ?

25 Jan 1890 Birmingham Daily Post, page 7

[within the reports of inquests, previous one ruled as accidental death]

A similar verdict was recorded in the enquiry into the death of Benjamin Bissell (40), carriage cleaner, of 10 Belvedere Place, Great Francis Street.
The deceased who was in the employment of the London and North Western Railway Company, was knocked down by an engine at New Street Station while crossing one of the lines on Monday last. He was slightly deaf, and apparently did not see or hear the engine approaching, He was fatally injured, and died at the General Hospital, where he had been removed to.

Boo