Author Topic: Quintin Stewart - Tailor of Maybole- Searching for birth info+  (Read 3182 times)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Quintin Stewart - Tailor of Maybole- Searching for birth info+
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 23 February 23 18:17 GMT (UK) »
You were looking for Coories Miln. The link below is to the hearth tax roll for the parish of Maybole in the 1690s. The fifth entry down in the page in the attached link is for Robert Miller in "Corramilne".

As the roll starts with the town of Maybole, then goes through different areas in the parish, you might be able to locate the mill by identifying places nearby on the list.

https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/historical-tax-rolls/hearth-tax-records-1691-1695/hearth-tax-records-ayrshire-volume-2-carrick/8

This mid 18th century map shows Maybole (Miniboll) and, to the east, Neilston and Chapelton, both places close to Corramilne in the tax roll.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15.0&lat=55.35092&lon=-4.68396&layers=4&b=1

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 23 February 23 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Re answer 11
Could the child born 5th November actually be named something beginning with D or even Q  rather than being baptised in December ? There is no date given !

I mean
* Baptised + name
Rather than baptised + date

Could have been baptised same day as birth

Try posting that clip on handwriting forum see what others think !

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 24 February 23 07:37 GMT (UK) »
GR2 thanks for that. I'm delving in.

Brigid I looked again and 1740 birth doc definitely says baptized in December, born in November. I still don't know if this is Quintin's birth...it could be a sibling. Many records of the time in Ayrshire are missing/lost.
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 16 November 23 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Well I'm still looking for the origins of Quintin Stewart.

I finally found Corra on the map that GR2 shared (Roy's military). It's right beside another Corr__ name. That place is close to but under 10 miles from Maybole. Not sure if Corra Miln is something other closer to Maybole though.

Anyhow, i've had to do a complete rethink on Quintin Stewart... and his wife Agnes Crawford. Quite a long time ago when I first started at this I added Agnes Crawford's parents as:

CRAWFUIRD AGNESS

ARCHIBALD CRAWFUIRD/JANET MCLEWNAN FR157 (FR157)
F
09/09/1749
10 / 285
Maybole

At the time I think my reasoning was ... she was in the right place at the right time. The only Agnes Crawford I could find born in Maybole parish. Then I think I reaffirmed it by checking peoples trees on ancestry. The clincher (I thought) was a census from from 1841 that has the Quintin Stewart jr , tailor and his wife Janet Girvan.

Household
Name   Birth
Janet Stewart   Circa 1771
Quintin Stewart   Circa 1781
Sarah Stewart   Circa 1811
James Turnbull   Circa 1816
Ann McLeonnan   Circa 1832
Agnes McKenzie   Circa 1834

When I saw Ann McLeonnan/McClounan/McClewnan I assumed that she came from the line of what I had as Agnes Crawford's mother Janet McClewnan, using it as a confirmation.

Then I started researching the various kids of the original Quintin Stewart...

John 1770
Sarah 1773
Janet 1777 (my Grandmother)
Quintin 1781 (no baptism found)

John married Jane smith and had the following kids:

Agness 1793
Elisabeth  1795
John  1796
Jane Chalmers  1797
Isbel  1799
Elisabeth  1800
Sarah  1802
Quintin  1806
Jannet  1807
Helen  1812
Alexander Kennedy  1816
Sarah 

Quintin Stewart 1781  married Janet Girvan and had these kids:

Agnes  1802
Sarah  1806
Isbel  1808
Quintin  1810

I realize there are some gaps so it's hard to see if the couple is going by the Scottish naming pattern. One thing that stands out is there is always a Sarah in the mix... unless there is a missing girl between 1770-1773 then it seems that Agnes Crawford's mother could be named Sarah. Or the name could go back on the Stewart side. I've been searching lots but not really coming up with many tasty clues.

John Stewart , son of the original Quintin ... his daughter Isabella marries James McClynmont and they have these kids:

Sarah  1824
James  1826
Quintin  1828
Ann  1831

Again, another Sarah. Not sure what it means though.

I believe Sarah Stewart that is the daughter of Quintin jr and Janet Girvan is the same one that married Robert McLeownan and had Ann in 1832:

MCLEOWNAN ANNE
ROBERT MCLEOWNAN/SARAH STEWART FR785 (FR785)
F
22/07/1832
40 / 161
Maybole

This would be the Ann from the census in 1841. It seems that Sarah Stewart was with daughter Ann Mcleownan ... living with her father Quintin jr and mother Janet but not with Robert. I don't see any wedding for them and they may never have married. Later that year Sarah marries James Turnbull who was in the same household in the census.

TURNBULL JAMES
SARAH STEWART/FR1080 (FR1080)
03/12/1841
50 / 171
Maybole

So now I'm unsure ... I may never know for sure but it's fun researching family history. I know the name Sarah factors in quite strongly but can't yet deduce why. Also Quintin himself ... There are very few examples of Stewart's called that but 1754 Quintin from Dailly by David Stewart . That David is too young to be Quintin Stewart tailor's father.

So basically I haven't really got too far  ;D

I still poke away at it and look for clues. Any help with this is always appreciated!
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 16 November 23 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Maybole Kirk Session minutes:

30-9-1832:

Also, compeared Sarah Stewart, Maybole, and
acknowledged that she had lately brought forth
a Child in Fornication, and delated Robert
McLeownan, Surgeon, Chesterly Street, County
of Durham, England, as the Father of her
Child. The Session directed their Clerk to
write to him, informing him of the said accu=
=sation and requesting an immediate answer
from him.

4-11-1832:

On the same day, compeared Sarah Stewart
who was rebuked for the sin of fornication with
Robert McLeownan, and absolved from the scandal.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 16 November 23 23:09 GMT (UK) »
If John Stewart is the father of Quintin sr ... and he is the same John that is the only one listed at the time in Maybole then he would be at Corra Miln having kids first with Agnes McKrenkin in early 1740's. I believe all three of these are births of the same couple:

STEUART AGNESS

JOHN STEUART/AGNESS MCCONNELL FR124 (FR124)
F
11/02/1738
10 / 216
Maybole

STEWART ----- 1740 JOHN STEWART/AGNES MCRINKIN FR135 (FR135)
U
07/12/1740
STEWART AGNESS
JOHN STEWART/AGNES MCKRINLE FR142 (FR142)
F
01/05/1743

The first birth in 1738 is in Carslow/n and might be a different John Stewart but McConnell and McKrinle sound pretty close. The next ones are at what I had thought was Corra Miln ... but upon looking again it seems like the name is fluid. The 1738 McConnel one looks like Carslon Miln or Carslow. The next birth in 1740 it's Crories Mill ,same document has it Coories Miln. 1743 it's Carlson/w Miln.

1747 comes along and now John Stewart of Corra/Carslon/Corries has two children with Agnes Paton. In 1747 it's Currie Miln and in 1749 it's Cories Miln.

When you search John Stewart in Maybole the first one listed is from Hugh Stewart and Mary Eggilshome born 05/08/1722. I go through 5 kids and finally get the document that says where they are from. Low and behold ...

Corra Miln   8)

-Hugh Stewart of Corra Miln has a son John 1722
-John Stewart has a son Hugh in Corra Miln 1747 with Agnes Paton. (also John 1749)

I'm kind of assuming Agnes McCrinkin/Mckrinle/McConnell might have died mid 1740's and then John had children with Agnes Paton. I'm guessing Corra Miln was not a very big hamlet ...

I digress though ... I still have no proof that Quintin Stewart sr's parent is John Stewart of Corra Miln.

Any help appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Attached: Birth or William Stewart at Corra miln to Hugh Stewart and Mary Egillshome.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 16 November 23 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot GR2!

Great info. Appreciated. Helps fill in the picture.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 17 November 23 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Chester-le-Street census:

1841:

Robert McLeownan, 35, Surgeon, b. S(cotland)
Agnes McLeownan, 25, b. S(cotland)
Jane Welsh, 15, F(emale)S(ervant), b. Co. Durham

1851:

Robert McLeownan, head, 48, Surgeon, b. Scotland
Agnes McLeownan, sister, 32, Housekeeper, b. Scotland

This is from the Edinburgh Evening News of 4-12-1875:

At the home of her niece, Cherry Bank, Trinity, on the
3d inst., Mary McLeownan, eldest daughter of the late
John McLeownan, Maybole, aged 84 years.

John McLeownan and Janet White had a son, Robert, in 1802 and a daughter, Agnes, in 1809, both born in Maybole.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 17 November 23 02:34 GMT (UK) »
Not sure he is any kind of relative of mine. Hope not , as he and Sarah Stewart would be kissing-distant-cousins if that was the case.

Was typing as you posted:

MCLEOWNAN ROBERT
 JOHN MCLEOWNAN/JANET WHITE FR546 (FR546)M
20/09/1802
30 / 94
Maybole

Like I mentioned ... the only Quintin Stewart born on record was in 1754. As was so nicely pointed out here that makes him about 14 for the birth of Quintin Stewart jr's first son John in 1770. Too young for a trademan to be having kids. There are a great many Quintins around Ayrshire and beyond.

Thinking out loud ...

If the 2 possible mothers for Quintin jr are Agnes McKrinle or Agnes Paton (both of Corra Miln)...

There is a QUINTIN MCCRINDLE born Dailly 10/01/1725  father WILLIAM MCCRINDLE
Also a QUINTINE PATTONE born Ayr 04/07/1667 to a father of the same name.

Quintin Stewart 1754 from Dailly ...which is only some 8 miles from Maybole... It would seem two men within proximity of Maybole had a son named Quintin Stewart between 1740 and 1760. It could be that the 2 are brothers. John in Corra Miln and David in Cookiestoun Dailly.

David Stewart's kids were:

Andrew
John
Mary
Quintin
David

Seems like his father is indeed Andrew Stewart. The third son was usually named after his father but in this case it was the 4th.

STEWART DAVID

ANDREW STEWART/
M
07/02/1714
10 / 16
Dailly

I checked and David Stewart was also born at the infamous Cookiestoun.