Author Topic: Quintin Stewart - Tailor of Maybole- Searching for birth info+  (Read 282 times)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Quintin Stewart - Tailor of Maybole- Searching for birth info+
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 01:47 BST (UK) »
Here is a very typical post from someone with Quintin Stewart in their tree. They are basically looking for the same info I am. They have the unfounded 1747 possible birth as I am sure they gleaned off of other's trees. It's interesting how they say they think Quintin Jr was born in 1781 (which would work age-wise to have Agness in 1802)...but again , no date of birth etc 

Date: March 2010
My second times great grand father, Quintin Stewart was born at Maybole in 1810. his father was Quintin Stewart, born at Maybole in 1781 and died their in 1850, his mother was Janet Graven, born in 1771. Quintin “ 1781” his father was also Quintin born at Maybole in 1747 and died their in 1823. he married Agnes Crawford. I have Quintin “1747” father as John Stewart and his mother as Agnes Mclinteen, but have never found a baptism for Quintin “1747”. All the Quintin Stewart’s were Taylor’s and had a shop in Main Street. If anyone has more information on this Stewart family I would be very pleased to hear from you.

Anyhow, I'm related through Janet Stewart ...not any potential son named Quintin. As interesting as those generations of tailors of that name may be.

Janet married a master weaver named John Orr.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 04:23 BST (UK) »
Getting back on track. Here is a list of all the St***rts born in Maybole from 1740-1755:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X1aLTKpneLj77TPSSX7XlLOIJbw5_98D/view?usp=sharing

Right away you see the interesting one which does not give the child's first name (I will grab the document momentarily to check. It has all the elements for the birth of Quintin Stewart...although it's not 1747. The father is a John and the mother an Agness and the last name while not Mclinteen ...MCRINKIN and MCKRINLE are somewhat similar. Same couple had a daughter named Agness as well as you can see.

Will report back with what the document says.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 05:41 BST (UK) »
The birth doc only names the parents and the mill they resided at and gives birth and baptism dates but oddly they did not record the name as they did with all the other entries. I paid for and checked the next page and it does not continue. Kind of intriguing....

Anyhow ,I can see how  the name Agnes MCRINKIN could be taken for McLinteen ...

Document here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TxGan7XlwiqRxmY7ZICmsCwifDVqt4AZ/view?usp=sharing

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Never trust anything you find online .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 08:13 BST (UK) »
It's also possible that his age was wrongly recorded in the 1841 census.
Researching

AITKENHEAD, Lanarkshire; BINNY, Forfar; BLACK, New Monkland; BRYSON, Cumbernauld; BURGESS, North-East Scotland; CRUICKSHANK, Rothes; DALLAS, Botriphnie; DAVIDSON, Oyne; GUTHRIE, Angus; HOGG, Larbert; LESLIE, Rothes/Mortlach; MENDUM, England; MOLLISON, Lethnot; PATERSON, Larbert; RHIND, Forfar; SANG, Scotland; SCOTT, East Kilbride; STOR(R)I/E/Y, Shotts; THORNTON, Shotts; WADDELL, New Monkland; WILKIE, New Monkland; WILKIE, Tannadice; WYLLIE, Angus; YOUNG, Keith

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 14:51 BST (UK) »
I was disappointed that the name did not continue on the next page...but as I scanned it over i noticed 2 other grandparents randomly on that next one! In fact the birth is the brother-in-law of Quintin. William Crawford , sister of his wife Agness.

Page 2:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N3s0elFLpDEfW0liZJ5S181JLlAT0L0z/view?usp=sharing

I did not know Archibald was a barber! Or that his son
was born at 5pm....

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 September 20 18:51 BST (UK) »
Also looking for any info on Archbald Crawford.... I see a birth 06/11/1715 Ayr with parents Hugh Crawford and Elizabeth but I can't tell if its my Archbald. Also there is one that is one 17/09/1709 Irvine with parents Moses Crawford and Janet Allasone...

Any help appreciated