Author Topic: Mysterious gathering in 1851  (Read 2998 times)

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mysterious gathering in 1851
« on: Tuesday 15 September 20 12:33 BST (UK) »
some detective work needed , or mere speculation, anything at all.  Why were these 15 people resident in Wakeman's Household for the 1851 Census at Ranelagh Place, Liverpool ( March 30th.)
It may or may not have been the original Adelphi Hotel.  The Grand National was on February 24th.   So why would 15 people come together, comprising 3 Solicitors, 1 Shipbuilder, 1 Annuitant, 2 Ladies and the rest Merchants ?  The launch of a ship ?  The forming of a Trading Company or an AGM of an existing company.   The remainder of the Wilson ( Solicitors) family are at home in Broughton , Preston, Lancashire even though WR Wilson is stated as being Unmarried ( he was at least twice married)  Help! , cheers Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious gathering in 1851
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 12:39 BST (UK) »
Did you look at the original image?
They are guests at the Adelphi Hotel.
They aren't in Wakeman's household. The first name at the top of the page is James Radley, hotel keeper.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 12:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jen.  I got the info from familysearch.org.  I tried the British History site and Wikipedia to find out more about the Adelphi and Ranelagh Place but was stumped.
I read that the later Adelphi when owned by a Railway Company had 402 bedrooms, so was wondering why a Census would only show 15 residents.
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 12:45 BST (UK) »
There's a fair chance there are more hotel guests on the next pages of the census....
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 12:46 BST (UK) »
was wondering why a Census would only show 15 residents.

Going back to the original image I make it 28 'visitors'.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 12:59 BST (UK) »
The first name at the top of the page is James Radley, hotel keeper.

It seems he was the original owner, opening it in 1826.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 13:01 BST (UK) »
How can I access the Census for that occasion to find the other residents?   The Wilson solicitors are at the centre of my researches and it appears that WR Wilson's father accepted a double-barrelled surname after being named as an heir in a married relative's Uncle's will due to lack of offspring.  That of Wilson-Ffrance.   I'm chasing up the possibility of either Edward or his father as being the real father of Jane Dickinson's son James prior to her marrying John Cathcart ( the Patsy)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 13:07 BST (UK) »
was wondering why a Census would only show 15 residents.

Going back to the original image I make it 28 'visitors'.

There are 39 visitors in total, including The Earl of Selkirk, about 56 people in total including servants.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 13:29 BST (UK) »
How can I access the Census for that occasion to find the other residents?   

The entry for the Adelphi starts at HO107/2182/129/54.