Author Topic: Mysterious gathering in 1851  (Read 3003 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious gathering in 1851
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 13:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jen.  I got the info from familysearch.org.  I tried the British History site and Wikipedia to find out more about the Adelphi and Ranelagh Place but was stumped.
I read that the later Adelphi when owned by a Railway Company had 402 bedrooms, so was wondering why a Census would only show 15 residents.

The first Adelphi Hotel, which opened in 1826, was demolished in 1876, and the new hotel had over 300 rooms. That was again demolished and the present building opened in 1914. The first Hotel would not have had 402 rooms or anything like that, that is the number of rooms in the present hotel.

See https://www.britanniahotels.com/hotels/the-adelphi-hotel-liverpool/history

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 14:00 BST (UK) »
I read that Radley had opened the first Adelphi by combining 2 existing townhouses but the next one was built on Ranelagh Gardens open green space.
So the original had at least 28 residents.  Were they all there for a common purpose.  The first list from familysearch.org seems to suggest that they may have been gathering for an event.  The Wilsons only lived up the Railtrack at Preston so it must have been an 'occasion'.
What method do you use for accessing the Census in full ... I'm about to be persuaded to splash some cash for my birthday but I don't really want findmypast or ancestry. 
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 14:08 BST (UK) »

So the original had at least 28 residents.

In 1851 there were 39 visitors plus 17 hotel staff, who were resident on the census night, making 56 in total.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 14:11 BST (UK) »
Could you perhaps explain what it is about the guests at the hotel that makes you believe they were gathering for a specific event?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 14:33 BST (UK) »
Could you perhaps explain what it is about the guests at the hotel that makes you believe they were gathering for a specific event?

Not really, an inkling, I feel it in my water, I'm a naturally suspicious person and I love conspiracy theories.   Was there a JFK type incident in Liverpool at that time, did Jenny Lind appear onstage, was there a Royal Visit, a ship launch or a new rail station opened, or a Festival of some kind.   I don't think people would go to Liverpool unless they had a specific purpose, it's hardly a tourist attraction in the 1850s.
There may be no good reason at all ... but if there was ....
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 14:34 BST (UK) »

So the original had at least 28 residents.

In 1851 there were 39 visitors plus 17 hotel staff, who were resident on the census night, making 56 in total.

Stan

Thanks, what method do you use to get the Census info?

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 14:38 BST (UK) »
was wondering why a Census would only show 15 residents.

Going back to the original image I make it 28 'visitors'.

There are 39 visitors in total, including The Earl of Selkirk, about 56 people in total including servants.

Stan

Maths has never been my strong point, but try as I might I can't see more than 29 people categorized as 'visitors'.

15 on p. 54, 6 on p. 55 and 8 on p. 56

Please tell me where I'm going wrong  :-\

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 14:39 BST (UK) »
Not really, an inkling, I feel it in my water, I'm a naturally suspicious person and I love conspiracy theories.   

I'm the opposite: I see people staying at a hotel. The end  ;D

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 14:53 BST (UK) »
JenB, there's a lockdown and it's raining in my garden and I've done the shopping and bought and used a battery-op handheld bag-free vacuum spider sucker-upper and I've no books left and I can't face re-re-reading my favourites ... I can't even give them away.
So, why was Wilson & Wilson & Trinder staying at a hotel when they lived nearby.
The Great Exhibition at Crystal Palace was on in London from May to October, but what was happening in Liverpool.   When did the Mersey Tunnel open?  I'll look that one up

PS not the tunnel