Author Topic: George Proctor and Mary Smith  (Read 889 times)

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Proctor and Mary Smith
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 14:20 GMT (UK) »
There was a George Proctor baptised at Kelstern in 1745.

The entry reads:

'Aug. 19th George, son of George Proctor of Calthorpe, Baptized'

Entry in parish records, Find My Past

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBPRS%2FLINCS%2FKELSTERN_PAR_1_1%2F0351&parentid=GBPRS%2FLINCS%2FBAP%2F00976356

I had trouble finding that. It's Calcethorpe, I think. Kelstern is a village in the civil parish of Calcethorpe with Kelstern. Kelstern is about 25 miles North East of Tattershall, heading towards Grimsby. Thanks AllanUK for helping me find my way around Lincolnshire. It's where my ancestors come from, but I haven't a Scooby!
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 14:37 GMT (UK) »
I have ancestors from Lincolnshire too and have found I am still learning place names etc (even after 20 odd years)

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 15:34 GMT (UK) »
AllanUK

The entry you shared has a long s or ſ in it so reads Calsthorpe. I'm waiting for the COVID restrictions to end so that I can order some old Lincolnshire maps from the Lincolnshire Family History Society to help find my way around the county. Having trouble getting my head around secretary hand used in the 16th century registers - I can see why they haven't been indexed! That's something to keep me busy during lockdown. I'm up in the very north of Scotland but would love to get down to Lincolnshire to visit graveyards in East Kirkby and area to search for family names...
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks