Author Topic: Dhu surname  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dhu surname
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 14:23 BST (UK) »
A little bit of information here:
http://www.maritimetas.org/collection-displays/displays/over-seas-stories-tasmanian-migrants/assisted-migrants-and-bounty-schem

It could be that "Jock" arrived elsewhere and headed to Tasmania at a later date. Have you looked for him in other States?

If you have Jock's marriage certificate or death certificate do either of those give parent's names?

If you haven't already done so you could ask for help on the Australia board (provide a link to this thread as it contains additional background).

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 15:35 BST (UK) »
I think Corle is a mistranscription of Corb

Forfarian , from the 1841 Census transcription at FreeCEN , there is a John Dow(age 20) with a FRAZER family at Corb Alyth Perth

Marriage , John Doe(1855)-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q279-3BMR

ev

Added-
If it's the correct death for John Dhu 1900 New South Wales the index has his parents as Jock and Mary.
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 16:06 BST (UK) »
Death.
DHU - On 16th May, 1900, at his daugh-
ter's (Mrs Captain Lyon) residence,
Redfern, Sydney, John Dhu, native of
Perth, Scotland (father of James and
Roderick Dhu, of Zeehan), and a resi-
dent of Tasmania since 1840, aged 80
years. Hobart papers please copy.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/83740789?searchTerm=john%20dhu

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Mionaonthehill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 17:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for all your help. You have been very kind and I appreciate it.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 18:42 BST (UK) »
Oh, well, if he was resident in Tasmania in 1840, he can't be the one who was at Corb in the parish of Alyth in 1841 and 1851.

If he was 30 when he married in 1855, he was only 15 when he arrived in Tasmania in 1840, so perhaps he travelled with his parents?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Sandra Kelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 05:36 BST (UK) »
Hi there, my name is Sandra Kelly (Dhu)i am researching my ancestors surname i seen there is someone else on this forum researching the same ancestors if allowed i would like to talk with them it seems we are related both looking for John Dhu, i have done some research and maybe we can help each other.Thanks.

Offline Sandra Kelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 05:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for all your help. You have been very kind and I appreciate it.
Hello. I have recently started to research my family tree. My second paternal grandfather was born in Scotland and called Jock Dhu. I am wondering where this name came from or could it have been a mistranslation/misspelling because when I search for this surname to find his birth and family details I can’t find much.
Hi i am trying to contact you re John Dhu! I'm sure we're related, as my name is Sandra Kelly (Dhu) I have recently started researching my GG/G Grandfather is Roderick Dhu,he's a son of John Dhu and Bridget Corbet from Tasmania, I can fill you in from GF Roderick Dhu till now My father was Mervyn Neil Dhu, t j ey came from Scotland to Tasmania then ended up in Sydney, I am in Perth Australia, hopefully if you will contact me we can help each other.Sandra.