Author Topic: Quaker Newenhams Cork  (Read 571 times)

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Quaker Newenhams Cork
« on: Thursday 24 September 20 05:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am trying to work back from my ancestor John Newenham of Cork, a clothier and Quaker, who married Elizabeth Wight in 1704 and died in 1735. He first appears in the Quaker records shortly before his marriage when goods were taken from him in lieu of tithes. He is described there as John Newenham Jnr, so his father might also have been John. His Quaker marriage certificate was signed by John, Thomas and Elizabeth Newenham, none of whom appears elsewhere in the Quaker records.

A Betham's abstract of his will dated 25 July 1734 and proved 6 Feb 1735 is a little odd. It mentions his wife and children as per the Quaker records, also sisters Ann Newell, Margaret Claushy (?) and Jane Hill, cousin Newenham [no 1st name] and his son John, brother John Newenham [how can John Newenham have a brother John Newenham?], John son of same, brother Thomas N, Betty daughter of same, sister Sarah Massey [actually a sister-in-law], cousins Sarah Moore and Joanna Bridges.

There are also Betham’s abstracts of the wills of his sons Richard dated 30 April 1750 proved 29 June 1759 and George dated 26 Jan 1792 proved February 1793. The people in them are easily identified except for Richard’s aunt Ann Newell (as in his father’s will) and cousin John Smyth and George’s cousin Mary Sproule. (I have a Quaker Mary Sproule 1768-1851 in my tree, but they weren’t related as far as I know.) Richard has an (inaccurate) entry in the Dictionary of Irish Biography which states (without the author knowing his parents) that ‘he was a direct descendant of John Newenham, who settled in Cork during the Cromwellian period and was sheriff (1665) and mayor (1671) of the city’.

I think that this last claim is unlikely, although the two families may be related. I hoped to use the relatives mentioned in John’s wedding certificate and the wills to link them up, but have not managed to do so. The mayor’s family is described in Burke’s Irish Family Records, starting with Edmund Newenham m Jane Desmyniers. It mentions a son Robert (dspm) and a second son John mayor of Cork who m 1672 Jane Hodder and left a will dated 29 Jan 1695 proved 21 August 1706. It then expands on the mayor’s family with no space for my Quakers. A Betham’s abstract of the mayor’s will also exists. It clearly mentions ‘Brother Thomas Newenham – John – Richard and Jane sons & daurs of said brother Thomas – Ann Porter another daur of said brother Thomas’.

I wonder whether my John’s father might have been the son John mentioned here, although the dates are difficult. Thomas was presumably the mayor’s younger brother, and yet my John married in 1704 whereas the mayor’s grandson (hypothetically the same generation) married in 1726.

One document that appears to link the two families together, although tenuously, is a deed of lease and re-lease dated 3 December 1712 (memorial #3813). Party 2 was Thomas Newenham Esq son and heir of the late John Newenham Esq [the mayor]. This deed was witnessed by Thomas Newenham Clothier of Cork, possibly the mayor’s brother mentioned above, in which case the profession of clothier might have been passed down from him to my Quaker John. Another witness was Thomas Clanchy, of Ballyshadine, Limerick, possibly the family into which my John’s sister Margaret married.

I would be very grateful to anyone who could shed any light on this, identify any of the relatives mentioned in the wills or indeed suggest avenues for further investigation.

Many thanks,

Alan

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Quaker Newenhams Cork
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 September 20 14:26 BST (UK) »

Detailed abstracts of wills of Newenham of Marybore' in Co. Cork and of Cork City, 1695 -- 1784.
Dublin: National Library of Ireland, Genealogical Office: Ms.139, pp.182-7

Just saw the above post in another current Cork thread. Maryborough was the seat of the descendants of my Quaker John's eldest son Richard Newenham, so in principle these wills would be extremely relevant to me. (Contrary to what is written in his Dictionary of Irish Biography entry, Richard had only one child, another John Newenham. Newenham's Bank was started by Richard's brother George Newenham and continued by George Newenham's son George, described in DIB as Richard's son. The George Newenhams lived at Summerhill.)

My problem is that I am based in Taiwan and can't easily pop in to the library. On first glance, this MS does not seem to be available digitally, although I will keep looking.

Thanks to Hallmark.

Alan

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 September 20 05:19 BST (UK) »
The will abstracts that Hallmark found are the 'Fisher abstracts'. They are different from and complementary to the Betham abstracts available on FindmyPast which I had already checked.

It's not obvious from the National Library of Ireland web site, but they are available to browse on line free. You can see them in the catalogue here http://catalogue.nli.ie/Search/Results?lookfor=genealogical+Fisher&type=AllFields&submit=FIND&filter%5B%5D=digitised%3A%22Digitised%22&filter%5B%5D=topic_facet%3A%22Heraldry%22&sort=title

The particular volume containing the Newenhams is this one http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000531511#page/186/mode/1up

The entry for the will of my John Newenham (on page 189 according to the viewer, 185 handwritten on the MS) clarifies one point from the Betham's abstract. The cousin was Thomas Newenham. However, it still mentions 'my brother John Newenham'. It also adds a cousin Hannah whose surname I can't read.

The entry for the will of his son Richard (half way down viewer p 190) is much as Betham.

The following entry (on the next page) for John's son George Newenham adds a bequest to Anthony Pim to that to Mary Sproule. The Mary Sproule in my tree married Anthony Pim in 1794, two years after the will was written, so this must be the pair. I wouldn't have described them as cousins from the information that I have; George Newenham's wife Elizabeth Pim was Mary Sproule's great aunt.

The following entry is for John Newenham, only child of Richard (the last but one) and is also much as in Betham.

Looking back to the earlier entries, viewer p 186 has Elizabeth Newenham, probably Elizabeth Blackall the widow of Thomas, the mayor's son. [Edit - she can't be Elizabeth Blackall as she describes herself as a widow before her husband's will was written. I am not sure who she was.] p 187 is John the mayor, which is also much as Betham. In particular, you can clearly see his brother Thomas who does not appear in Burke. The following page is the mayor's son Thomas (husband of Elizabeth Blackall).

In summary, these are parallel abstracts to the same wills summarised by Betham with essentially the same information. They add a few details, but I don't see anything to crack the case for me.

Alan

Offline AlanWatson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 September 20 05:31 BST (UK) »
One document that appears to link the two families together, although tenuously, is a deed of lease and re-lease dated 3 December 1712 (memorial #3813). Party 2 was Thomas Newenham Esq son and heir of the late John Newenham Esq [the mayor]. This deed was witnessed by Thomas Newenham Clothier of Cork, possibly the mayor’s brother mentioned above, in which case the profession of clothier might have been passed down from him to my Quaker John. Another witness was Thomas Clanchy, of Ballyshadine, Limerick, possibly the family into which my John’s sister Margaret married.

I see that I mis-typed the memorial number of this deed which should be #32813

Alan