Author Topic: All Saints, Birmingham  (Read 422 times)

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
All Saints, Birmingham
« on: Thursday 24 September 20 12:41 BST (UK) »
I have relatives who, in the 1881 and 1891 censuses, are in "All Saints, Birmingham".

Addresses are "1 H - 45 Ct Summer Lane"  and "1 Bk 350 Park Road"

I assume these are the infamous Courts of Birmingham - what area of Birmingham are they?

Can anyone give me any more info on these places - I assume they are now demolished as slums.

Pam

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: All Saints, Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 September 20 12:54 BST (UK) »
I would agree that these were probably back-to-back houses.  If you have used Ancestry for your search, then you can also find the Enumerator's route which will give you a better idea of the area concerned.

RG12/2399 = Park Road
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 September 20 13:16 BST (UK) »
Summer Lane and Park Lane /Road are in Aston/Newtown area of Birmingham. If you Google Back to backs Summer Lane it will give you an idea of the the housing. My fathers family lived in a back to back in nearby Heneage Street for generations. They came down in the 50's and 60's. I vaguely remember visiting and the living conditions were dire. Google maps will show you what it's like now.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 September 20 13:20 BST (UK) »
Went to FindMyPast and asked for All Saints, Birmingham, Warwickshire area 1911 census and got a hospital then I got someone living in Devonshire Ave so looked on Google maps - it's right by Park Rd where there's still Victorian terraces. It's between Hockley and Winson Green areas of B'ham.

Nearby is a hospital Mary Seacole House

EDIT - Now found Summer Lane the other side of what looks like a flyover from Park Rd   - it's not far from the jewellery quarter.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 September 20 13:49 BST (UK) »
Summer Lane runs top to bottom in the middle, not all the name is shown, need to zoom out:
1902/1905 map
https://maps.nls.uk/view/115633269#zoom=5&lat=5681&lon=5392&layers=BT

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 September 20 14:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you all, just trying to review all this info!!

I have found Summer Lane, using https://maps.nls.uk/view/115633269#zoom=5&lat=5681&lon=5392&layers=BT 
but how would I determine 45 Court's location?

Have found Park Road, and using the enumerator's route confirmed it is near Factory Road which places it in Gibheath area.  But looking at the map it doesn't look too congested an area, so perhaps not Courts. 
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/swipe/#zoom=16&lat=52.49622&lon=-1.91980&layers=6&right=BingHyb

Have looked at the Birmingham Mail and the photos of Summer Lane and other similar.  We visited the National Trust Back-to backs so this all is familiar and chilling.  And for anyone interested the programme "Britain's Biggest Dig" also shows what life was like around there in Victorian times. 

iPlayer BBC2 - Episode 2 (Episode 1 was mostly exploring Georgian London near Euston Station).  
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000mtz7/britains-biggest-dig-series-1-episode-2

Thanks everyone.