Author Topic: Dating photos of my Nana Doris with a car  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Dating photos of my Nana Doris with a car
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 20:30 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure that dating the cars will help to date the photos - my memory is that in the late 1940's/early 1950's not only was there a shortage of steel for car production, but most car production was reserved for export to earn foreign currency to help pay the costs of WW2.

There were hardly any vehicles on the roads in those days so we could cycle anywhere without much concern.

A better guide may be the dates of her clothes.

Added: I'm trying to say that most of the few cars available were second-hand and mostly pre-war models. When car production restarted after WW2 it was also mostly with pre-war designs.

Offline LenaGarner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 22:21 BST (UK) »
For the smaller car I am going for an Austin 10. Could they belong to a boyfriend or in the garage trade or?

Hi,
Well this is why I was wondering if they were likely to belong to her - she was married to my grandad and he was in the army but then they owned a fruit and veg shop together in Bedale - will have to do some research to see when they opened it though and not sure how lucrative that sort of thing was in those days - either way i think they did alright for themselves  :D
Garner
England
Banks
Coleman
Sharlotte
Hunter

Offline LenaGarner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 22:24 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure that dating the cars will help to date the photos - my memory is that in the late 1940's/early 1950's not only was there a shortage of steel for car production, but most car production was reserved for export to earn foreign currency to help pay the costs of WW2.

There were hardly any vehicles on the roads in those days so we could cycle anywhere without much concern.

A better guide may be the dates of her clothes.

Added: I'm trying to say that most of the few cars available were second-hand and mostly pre-war models. When car production restarted after WW2 it was also mostly with pre-war designs.

Hi Michael,
I completely understand what you are saying.  I simply wanted a rough date of the photos so I could add them in to my Nana's timeline so I'm not too worried if it isn't an exact date.  I do have  few other photos of her which I could then piece together with a point of reference if that makes sense :) I really appreciate everyone's effort in naming the other car and agree it looks like it could be a Ford due to the side radiator vent but. I'll have a little scout around :D
Lena
Garner
England
Banks
Coleman
Sharlotte
Hunter

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 11:31 BST (UK) »
If it's of any help, the first photo seems to be of a Wolseley 9 saloon.

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 11:42 BST (UK) »
The Wolseley 9 was built for just two years, 1934 to 1936. Nan's car does look new, so this may date the photo to those years.

Michael.

Online japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 11:44 BST (UK) »
That looks spot on. A good find Michael :-)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 13:26 BST (UK) »
Nice find, Michael - certainly matches the features I'd picked out.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LenaGarner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 20:32 BST (UK) »
The Wolseley 9 was built for just two years, 1934 to 1936. Nan's car does look new, so this may date the photo to those years.

Michael.

Hi Michael,

My nana was born 1920 and she looks much older than 16 in these photos (I have a photo of her when she was 17) but I agree that’s defo what the car is. Must be that she’s bought it later on?
Thanks again for all your detective work everyone. What a lovely little community this is :)
Lena
Garner
England
Banks
Coleman
Sharlotte
Hunter

Offline LenaGarner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile