Author Topic: Jensen family in Grahamstown, Cape, South Africa  (Read 1116 times)

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jensen family in Grahamstown, Cape, South Africa
« Reply #18 on: Monday 16 November 20 20:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry but I seem to have missed your previous post. I'll take a look at that too.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 23 November 20 10:17 GMT (UK) »

Joanne Marie Jensen leaving Denmark do not know destination

Hi Hazel
I don't have an Ancestry sub unfortunately so I cannot look at your links.
You can have a look at these Johanne Marie Jensens leaving Denmark (all years):
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01q2b/

Ian

Offline HazelWH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 06 December 20 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian,

Thank you for the list of Johanne Marie JENSEN’s leaving Denmark. I checked but none are correct. I have copied the one I found and attached it to the bottom. Thank you for all your help.

I have done a lot of research for JANE JANSEN (JENSEN) born 1839-1874 in Grahamstown, Cape, South Africa. I also found the one and only record of JANE JANSEN (that is with her surname) on her one daughter’s (Frances Boxold Morris nee Benn) death record which was signed by her nephew (Gately) as both her husband and only child (son-unmarried) had already passed away.  She was only 11/12 when Jane Jensen (her mother) died.  I have done updated timelines for both the JENSEN and the BENN families. And it all ties up. I am really battling with this brickwall.

Another thing is the distance between Oudtshoorn (Flactis Place, where most of their children were born), George (Georgetown) and Grahamstown are very far from each other. Today it would take you about 5 hours to get from one place to the other so in the early 1800’s with ox wagon it would have taken a few days. A long way to travel for a baptism or wedding if you are not related.

What I would like to know is - Would a DNA prove the ancestry connection between myself, Jane JENSEN (Jansen) and Jens Mogens Julius JENSEN born in Denmark and married in Grahamstown, Cape, South Africa with Jane being born in Denmark as well.

How does the DNA work without any physical test (like I would have to do as I have not done the DNA) on somebody who lived in the early 1800’s? There seems to be only ONE other person doing this family tree and he/she has only got as far as connecting Jens Mogens Julius and Jane Jensen.

Kind Regards
Hazel

Below is a copy of the entry of Johanne Marie JENSEN’s departure in 1853 No 9

https://search.ancestry.se/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=61607&h=7513823&tid=30277883&pid=432227036594&queryId=b08ed2674c863e4d2892fac31ce3565c&usePUB=true&_phsrc=tFM21983&_phstart=successSource

Name:   Johanne Marie Jensen
Age on departure:   14
Type of event:   Afgang
Birth date:   circa 1839
Departure date:   1 1853
Place of departure:   Horbelev Sogn, Denmark
Save  Cancel

Johanne Marie baptism on 7 April 1829

https://search.ancestry.se/cgi-bin/sse.dll?dbid=61607&h=7813719&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=9825

Namn:   Johanne Marie Jensen
Kön:   Kvinde (Kvinna)
Ålder vid dop:   0
Typ av händelse:   dåb (Dop)
Födelsedatum:   2 mar 1839
Dopdatum:   7 apr 1839
Doport:   Danmark
Bostadsort:   Helligånd Sogn, København
Fader:   Lars Jensen

:)

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I don't think looking for a Johanna is the way to go. Her name is most probably Jane. There are a number of Janes in Denmark.
Your best bet is to look here:
https://www.danishfamilysearch.com/search/

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 12:09 GMT (UK) »

What I would like to know is - Would a DNA prove the ancestry connection between myself, Jane JENSEN (Jansen) and Jens Mogens Julius JENSEN born in Denmark and married in Grahamstown, Cape, South Africa with Jane being born in Denmark as well.

How does the DNA work without any physical test (like I would have to do as I have not done the DNA) on somebody who lived in the early 1800’s? There seems to be only ONE other person doing this family tree and he/she has only got as far as connecting Jens Mogens Julius and Jane Jensen.

I can't help you with DNA unfortunately. You could start a new thread on another board asking for help.

Ian

Offline scott family

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 14 April 22 01:38 BST (UK) »
My Aunt Mabel Scott b 1930's married a Julius. Only DNA test can prove this link. My test is coming up 20% Scndinavian which is quite high for one haplogroup.