Author Topic: Hit a dead end with my Johnsons - Corton, Suffolk  (Read 409 times)

Offline Daffern2020

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hit a dead end with my Johnsons - Corton, Suffolk
« on: Wednesday 30 September 20 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

As the title states, I think I've finally hit a dead end with the Johnson side of my family. Not too sure what the average is but I think I've got pretty far with them. Just wanted to ask around first before I call it quits for that line. Warning: It's quite a long post.

Here's what I've got: (I also apologise in advance for the messy dates)

Isaac Johnson 1720? - 1774? or 1794? Both Corton, Suffolk.
 (his birth and first death date is what I've found on other tress but I couldn't find sources to back them) (1794 is something I've found which could be right)

Had children with a woman named Martha. Unfortunately I can't find a last name for her or a marriage between them. 1720 - 1774 (Again, found on other trees but no sources)

Their children:

Martha Johnson 1740 - 1741
Isaac Johnson 1742 - 1818 married Ann Prittyman and had two daughters.
John Johnson 1750 - 1825 married Ann Manclarke and had six kids.

I've got sources for all of them having Isaac and Martha as their parents. Now, other trees also list a Tobias 1745 as their child as well. (Again no source for this)

So the burial date I found for Isaac, 1794 lists his parents as John Johnson & Ann Weeks. Other trees have Samuel Johnson & Rachel Yooning as his parents. (Again, no sources) I question Samuel and Rachel because it doesn't fit the naming patterns in this line. Isaac, John, Tobias & Ann recur a lot. Whereas I don't have Samuel or Rachel for any of their descendants. So I think John Johnson & Ann Weeks is the more likely bet. Maybe both sets are wrong?

And that is pretty much where I am at with this. I don't really know if John Johnson & Ann Weeks is correct. I can't find a marriage between them. Any more kids. Or any of their parents.

I have found a lot of other Johnsons in the Corton, Suffolk area but I can't link them in. For example I have found a Tobias Johnson & Sarah (Smith or Croucher). Who together have had: (Maybe this is the missing Tobias from earlier but I can't link him.

James 1769
Robert 1771
Susanna 1775
Jacob 1775
Sarah, died 1775
Isaac 1778

Thank you for reading, especially since it's long and messy. If anyone can help me go back further or untangle this that would be amazing.

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hit a dead end with my Johnsons - Corton, Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 October 20 13:33 BST (UK) »
You may not have seen the Lothingland Deanery marriages published by the Suffolk Family History Society, such as these:

1757 Tobias JOHNSON of Somerleyton m. Sarah SMITH at Lowestoft St Margaret
1759 widower Tobias JOHNSON m. Sarah CROUCHING of Aldeby, Norfolk, at Lound
1768 Isaac JOHNSON m. Ann PRITTYMAN at Corton
1784 John JOHNSON m. Ann MANCLARKE at Corton

(Sarah JOHNSON, buried at Lound in 1758, is transcribed as a daughter of Tobias.)

Burials at Corton include:

1697 Mary JOHNSON, wife of Samuel
1724 Samuel JOHNSON
1741 Martha JOHNSON, daughter of Isaac & Martha
1771 Ann JOHNSON, daughter of Isaac & Ann
1774 Isaac JOHNSON of Corton, son of John
1786 Isaac JOHNSON, aged 8, son of Tobias & Sarah née CROUCHER
1794 Isaac JOHNSON, aged 1 week, son of John & Ann
1801 Tobias JOHNSON of Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, aged 48, married man, son of Tobias & Sarah
1808 Tobias JOHNSON, aged 41, married man
1814 Sarah JOHNSON of Great Yarmouth, aged 81
(and several other JOHNSONs between 1741 and 1801)

The gravestone of Tobias JOHNSON (c.1753-1801) has been photographed for Find A Grave. His will is held by the Norfolk Record Office (NRO), having been proved in the Archdeaconry Court of Norwich (ANW) in 1803. It mentions his wife and their infant daughter, both named Elizabeth, and a farmer, John JOHNSON of Corton. Copies can be accessed (as explained here) at FamilySearch.org (images 211-213).

Another ANW will was made by Isaac JOHNSON of Great Yarmouth (a watchmaker) in 1727 and proved in 1728 (FS images 49 & 50). He had at least seven children (all under 21 in 1727): sons William, Thomas, Isaac, Joseph & Jacob; and daughters Rachel & Mary.

Isaac's widow Mary didn't survive him for long. Her will (PROB 11/628/277) was proved in the PCC in 1728/29. Downloads from TNA are currently free of charge.

There may well be more useful wills at the NRO or TNA. The Suffolk Record Office doesn't appear to have catalogued any written by the JOHNSONs of Corton but many from elsewhere in the county can be found by searching for JOHNSON IC/AA1* at Suffolk Archives.

David

Offline Daffern2020

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hit a dead end with my Johnsons - Corton, Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 October 20 01:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks David. Yes, I have seen these on Ancestry. It is looking like the Tobias married to Sarah is thier sibiling, I just don't have a birth record to confirm it.

But I'm more interested in going up. Confirming the parents of Isaac Johnson 1720? - 1774? or 1794? Not too sure where this Mary and Samuel fit into this. The names don't really fit the naming pattern I have so far?

Thanks again. I'll look into the Suffolk Archives.