Author Topic: Locating an address in the late 19th century - Bristol  (Read 8341 times)

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Locating an address in the late 19th century - Bristol
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 October 20 02:25 BST (UK) »
Great information and resources. Thanks to you all! :)
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY

Offline gothick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 October 22 11:50 BST (UK) »
I realise this is an ancient thread, but I was just looking through papers in the Bristol Archives (I live on Albermarle Row, around the corner from Granby Hill) and found a sale notice for Albemarle Cottage from 1865 (https://archives.bristol.gov.uk/records/40539/24 -- but the sale notice hasn't been digitised so you can't see it in the online record.)

Sadly it doesn't show the location of the cottage, but it does mention the name of the sitting tenant in 1865, if that's of interest? The particulars from the notice say:

FREEHOLD DWELLING-HOUSE

With small Garden in the read, called "Albemarle Cottage," situate on Granby-Hill, Clifton, now in the occupation of Mr. James Carver, as yearly tenant, at £19 per annum. This lot is subject to a Ground Rent of 30s. per annum, and Land Tax of 1s per annum.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 October 22 19:24 BST (UK) »
I realise this is an ancient thread
2 years is very recent :D Brenda was online earlier  ;)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 October 22 01:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you! That was very kind of you. Unfortunately the date fell before my family lived there BUT it does narrow down the time period for me and that helps. I very much appreciate your time! Looking online the home prices appear to gone up a bit  :D So would the cottage be gone now or just hard to identify at this point?

Thank you so much,
Brenda
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 October 22 05:17 BST (UK) »
I realise this is an ancient thread
Such a coincidence, 2 days short of being 2 years to the very day, however, I've seen replies on here being 15+ years later.

It was very kind of you to go the extra mile to help Brenda!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 October 22 16:02 BST (UK) »
There are a number on ‘hits’ British Newspapers on Line.  This one from Western Daily Press, Friday 6 July 1923.   

PROFFESSOR MICHAEL, Astrologer; Ayesha (nee Miss Conibeare) Clairvoyant, Medium.
Post 1s 3d..  birth-date, Scriptorium, Albermarle Cottage, Granby Hill, Clifton, Bristol.

Offline gothick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 October 22 19:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you! That was very kind of you. Unfortunately the date fell before my family lived there BUT it does narrow down the time period for me and that helps. I very much appreciate your time! Looking online the home prices appear to gone up a bit  :D So would the cottage be gone now or just hard to identify at this point?

You're very welcome, Brenda! I'm pretty sure that the cottage would be gone now—there's certainly nothing on Granby Hill resembling a cottage these days (I've lived here since 1999 and have recently gone through the exercise of walking every single street within a mile radius, so I'd definitely have spotted one!)

The nearest extant graveyard nearby would be Hope Chapel, as I think someone else mentioned, which is opposite the end of my street—there are a few legible gravestones still visible in the front yard (e.g. https://omm.gothick.org.uk/image/758 )—but there are many other possibilities, too, from Holy Trinity towards the city centre to the heights of Clifton including the parish church of St Andrew's. (St Andrew's was destroyed by the Luftwaffe, but the graveyard is beautiful and still there: https://flic.kr/p/DR12V ).

I'll keep a lookout in my historical meanderings; there's always a chance I'll hear something about Albemarle Cottage!