Author Topic: Uniform identification request - Moroney  (Read 478 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform identification request - Moroney
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 22:59 BST (UK) »

Merchant Navy, Union Castle  cap badge.

This has got a flag pole Carol  :P :P :P     ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nice one TK....you have just won a coconut  ;D ;D

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 23:46 BST (UK) »
Nice one TK....you have just won a coconut  ;D ;D

Carol

That's a lot better than what I usually get ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline 3Chant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 09:40 BST (UK) »
TOMKIN: Yes, that is him in the link to the Institute of Mechanical Engineers. I dont think that he was ever a merchant seaman in the general sense of merchant ship crew. However the Board of Trade was responsible for overseeing merchant shipping and he worked for them  just about all his working life. Board of Trade was also responsible in some way for lighthouses so the cap with the flag and the lighthouse might be an indication  that the badge was adopted for Board of Trade employees involved in overseeing the merchant fleet. Thanks for your help.
Miller Millar Moroney Burke Masterson Munro Phemister Wall Brophy Curtin Magan Thomson Galvin Price Foster Reid

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 11:20 BST (UK) »

That's exactly what I thought 3Chant ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D I was thinking along the lines

of Light Ships etc. I also saw somewhere that he had a Patent pending for something to

do with ship welding.   Must have been an intelligent man.  I tried to make out detail

on the buttons but failed :D :D :D