Author Topic: Look up Request Auckland Archives Staff Appt Registers 1908-1965 Carrington Hosp  (Read 857 times)

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi Everyone

As I am in the UK I don't know if your archives are open or not. If someone is going to be visiting Auckland archives anytime in the furture I would appreciate a lookup.
The records are the Staff Appointment Registers for Carrington Hospital 1908-1965
Apparently they contain quite a lot of information such as date of appointment, position,salary, DOB, signature and date of leaving. I checked and it appears there are no issues with access.
I am looking for details on three people
Frederick Howard Stevenson - appointed sometime 1909/1910
Elizabeth Cameron Stewart - appointed 1910/1911
Amy Grace Broadbent - Appointed 1935/1936

Here is the link https://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewEntity.do?code=15444

I hope these records are relatively easy to access. If it is a problem please don't worry. If and when I get home next it will be on my list.

Many thanks in advance.
Always happy to help if any one has queries here in North West Kent, England

Regards
KK

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Request Auckland Archives Staff Appt Registers 1908-1965 Carrington Hosp
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry, I am losing the plot. Need to correct a name.
Amy Grace Broadbent is her maiden name and the search needs to be against her married name which is Amy Grace Marshall.

Thanks
KK

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Request Auckland Archives Staff Appt Registers 1908-1965 Carrington Hosp
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hello there.

Just had a look and they have not updated their home page re the Auckland branch access. Auckland has just moved down to level one for COVID, our lowest level which allows for mass gatherings, so expect to soon be able to walk in unannounced, during public opening hours. ADDED: Hours now updated, full access from Thursday.]

Prior to that one had to book a visit time, with restrictions re distancing and therefore also of staff assistance. This limited the numbers of researchers, and the available tables for research, within the reading room.

Either way I plan on being back as soon as able. Hopefully within the month. As it is Auckland Heritage Month, I have been making weekend 100km day trips to events which I support. I visit the archive when I am free stay in Auckland for some nights.

Will add your request to those in hand, and will come back to you when I have something to report.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 23:01 BST (UK) »
Interesting.

Threw Carrington into the mix and could not find the registers you speak of.

Found them by using the SERIES number 15444 only. [Staff appointment Registers]

Call up numbers to be requested R2508388 & R2508389

Alan.

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

Thank you so much for replying with your offer to do these lookups. I was told about these records but could only find them through the SERIES number. I must take another look to see how you got these other numbers. I am amazed how much is in the archives but sometimes it is a learning curve trying to find them.

I look forward to hearing from you at some stage. Glad to hear Auckland is down to level one.

Many thanks
KK

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 10:38 BST (UK) »
11.59 pm NZ time tonight - so NEARLY THERE.

The two R numbers I posted are the request numbers I will need when I order the two volumes to read at the viewing room. Now only open to the public Wednesday / Friday inclusive.

[Can only order up out of storage, 5 items at any one time, so as soon as you are finnished with one item you return it, and hop online and request replacements, to see you through the day. Can take half an hour before available. I start by ordering 5 online before I arrive. You can not order up a series, as a series may contain more than 5 items.]

The names therein can not have been indexed, or else they would have produced a result in a search. That is quite common. In that photo I posted are two requested bound volumes. Ones like those have from 400 to 600 pages in each, so contain thousands of lines of written data.

The number in red that you found is the SERIES number, and if you put that in the search box labeled SERIES, using the ADVANCED SEARCH function it takes you to the numbers I listed. I posted then on line, as a reminder, for me, that I can access from my phone. Try also putting only the numbers I posted in the top box as a separate advanced search.  Should produce the same info page.

Initially I just used Carrington for my search, but it produced far too many hits, and I struggled to find mention of the listings you wanted.

Alan.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 December 20 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Update.

Hoped for long weekend away, to include archive research, is just not eventuating, so have just now booked 5 items, for the reading room, in 10 hours time.

Wish me luck. If farm is OK fist thing, I will try for a dash up to Auckland, and back, to see what my camera can find.

Hope to be in touch soon.

Alan.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 December 20 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Evening.

Unfortunately luck was not on my side today, when it came to your request. I was unsuccessful with each, of the three full names supplied.

I will NOT say that they are not there, but though I spotted a few with the surnames of STEVENSON, STEWART, & MARSHALL, that I recited in my head, as I paged through approximately 296 pages with up to 33 or 34 employees per double page, none that caught my attention had the required given names.

Nor did I specifically try to seek out alternate spellings. As the entries are in date order, a short date range would permit a more in-depth reading, of the data recorded.

The first register [1908 – 1960] was probably of 300 pages. There was a large section at the front with thumb indexed A to Z index, unfortunately unused, then pages numbered 1 to 217 with each entry running across two pages.

The second had only been partly used, [58 pages] and there was a lot of cello tape which would not have photographed well. Both had been well thumbed through, so showing their age.

By my reckoning over 4,500 surnames, are recorded within the two registers.

The well thumbed registers are not in the best of shape with tears, and rather a lot of cello taped repairs in the 2nd book of the 1960’s.

While I was unsuccessful, I do not regret the opportunity to see the records. Unlike some I’ve looked up, these in my mind are worth pursuing, because they contain the full name of the employee, their date of birth, and THEIR PERSONAL SIGNATURE, then there are other details that a researcher can use as a cross reference.

Also as it was a big hospital, there was a scattering of farm hands, maintenance, and clerical, personal, in addition to nursing positions, employed.

Attachments show the column headings used in the two books.

Alan.

PS, If you PM me an email I can send photos to, I will forward a couple of historic records, where the surname may indicate a connection to your research.

PPS. Upon re- reading your request I NOW note that you did provide a quite defined date range so will re-order the books on my next visit, and have a more detailed look in those ranges. Unfortunately I only recorded your names of interest, and not the date range, in my little black note book. Regards - Alan.

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 December 20 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan

Thanks so much for your efforts. I will PM my email address.
The registers sound amazing. I had been told about them.  It would be great if you ever have the chance to look again but it is not the end of the world if you don't have time. We had hoped to come home to NZ in February but now off the cards for probably at least a year. These records were on my list to look at. Frederick and Elizabeth were my grandparents and met at Carrington.

KK