Author Topic: Is it worth getting autosomal DNA test for myself in addition to my parents?  (Read 395 times)

Offline hllawson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi I'm fairly new to Geneology etc.

Have been using Ancestry.co.uk and my mum previously had an account which she used to link her and my fathers DNA to. I now have access to this and have linked it to my own account and tree and have started using her matches to help check my hypthoses based on paper records, with some good results.

What I have been trying to work out from reading about the DNA testing, but can't find a clear answer is: Would there be any benefit to me also paying for one of the ancestry tests for myself, or is this likely to yield the same, and even less matches than those I already have from my parent tests?

Many thanks,
Hannah

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is it worth getting autosomal DNA test for myself in addition to my parents?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 October 20 14:29 BST (UK) »
I don't think there'd be any advantage - you've already got all the links through your parents.

Offline hllawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Is it worth getting autosomal DNA test for myself in addition to my parents?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 October 20 15:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks, this is what I thought based on my limited understanding of them. Good to have a second opinion.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 October 20 16:24 BST (UK) »
It depends how far you want to go back occasionally I have a match which does not show for my mother or paternal aunt also level of matches may show that someone you thought was her 4tb cousin is actually your fourth cousin and her third cousin .

If you are looking to identify unknown matches
It might be more useful for a cousin to be tested to eliminate close matches which are not from one of your parents ..if that makes sense .

It is expensive so only do it if you see the obvious benefits .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline midlandslass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 October 20 14:48 BST (UK) »
If you want to find more matches you’ll be better off testing a paternal or maternal sibling, or better still any grandparents if they are still alive.
Hollingsworth - Lincs, Notts       Webster - Notts
Wakefield - Oxfordshire             Moor - Lincs
Green - Lincs                              Thorpe - Lincs
Duckmanton - Derbys, Notts      Clutterbuck - Gloucs 
Willetts - Worcestershire
Shaw - Warwickshire                  Dyer - Gloucs
Priest - Worcs                            Haden - Worcs
Hewitt - Worcs                           Bissell - Worcs
Scarfe - Lincs                            Tooley - Lincs
Turnell/Turnill Notts, Nhants, Camb

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 October 20 14:56 BST (UK) »

Based on my experience, I would say definitely take a test yourself.

My Mother tested just before she died last year, and she and I match to many different people. The same applies to my sister and maternal and paternal 1st Cousins.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.