Author Topic: Missing Gallagher Marriage  (Read 1228 times)

Offline macpark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing Gallagher Marriage
« on: Thursday 08 October 20 22:07 BST (UK) »
I am trying to track down the first marriage of my grandfather James Gallagher.  He was born in Tweedmouth on 20th Mar 1887.  By the 1901 census he, and all of his family were living in Glasgow.  When he married my grandmother Elizabeth Martin Paxton on 31st May 1918 back in Berwick, he was described as a widower.  In the 1911 census, he was still single.  SO sometime between 1911 and 1918, he married and his wife died.  They lived in the East End of Glasgow in Camlachie and Dalmarnock in 1901 & 1911 respectively.  His father was Frederick Gallagher and his mother was Margaret Smith.  I am tearing my hair out but cannot find this marriage anywhere.  Any help appreciated.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 October 20 23:08 BST (UK) »
You cannot confine your search to the areas in which James lived as he may have married in his first wifes parish or even in a different county

SP has no marriage in 1918 in Berwick - can you clarify?

EDIT
Freebmd has James mis-spelt as Gallaghar

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 October 20 23:13 BST (UK) »
SP has no marriage in 1918 in Berwick

Berwick upon Tweed is in England
June 1918 Berwick 10b 857
Gallagher, James - spouse Paxton
Paxton, Elizabeth M. - spouse  Gallagher

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 October 20 23:21 BST (UK) »
Had just edited above Jon.  Freebmd has the surname mis-spelt
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 October 20 23:28 BST (UK) »
On the x ref to Elizabeth it's spelt Gallahgher - will notify a mistranscription

Offline macpark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 October 20 23:29 BST (UK) »
I do realise that he could have married elsewhere but I have to start somewhere!  Berwick is in England and as I describe in my original post, the marriage you mention was his 2nd, to my grandmother.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 October 20 09:51 BST (UK) »
Looks like a needle in a haystack, at least until the Scotland's People centre reopens, when it would be easy enough to look at all the original certificates there.

There are 73 marriages of James Gal*hers in the SP index, and 135 deaths of female Gal*hers aged 20 to 40, between 1911 and 1918.

Depending on how determined you are, you could make a note of the names of all the 73 brides, and then search for each of their deaths using both their maiden and married surnames in the search.

For example James Gallagher amd Mary McMenemy were married in Glasgow in 1911, but there is no record or the death of Mary McM*n*m* or Gal*her between then and 1918. If you do this for all 73 there will be only a very short list left, and you can then check the marriages.

If course this does not work if the wife died in England, where as far as I know the certificate doesn't even name the spouse of the deceased, let alone her parents. But I had a look at FreeBMD for deaths of Gal*hers aged 20 to 40 in Northumberland between 1911 and 1918, and there are no obvious candidates.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline macpark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 October 20 12:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian. You’re advice is very useful and constructive. This has now become a challenge and I’m determined to see I through if I can.  The Berwick side of things will be easy as I’m only 20 miles from the Berwick records office, once they reopen.  I’ve searched Ancestry fairly comprehensively though to no avail.  I will embark upon the 73 brides and see what I come up with. No rush, as they’re not going anywhere! I thought the SP hub in Edinburgh was open again, by appointment? Maybe I’m wrong. I’m ideally situated almost equidistant between Edinburgh and Berwick!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 October 20 12:59 BST (UK) »
I’ve searched Ancestry fairly comprehensively though to no avail.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

I thought the SP hub in Edinburgh was open again, by appointment?
https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/about-us/service-status suggests not.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.