Author Topic: Grandma Burgess  (Read 741 times)

Offline 7Y

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grandma Burgess
« on: Saturday 10 October 20 18:28 BST (UK) »
Could anyone please give an estimate as to when this photo may have been taken.  Sorry for the state of it, it's a photocopy, the only one I have.

Many thanks
Sally

Offline Shaky120

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Grandma Burgess
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 October 20 21:06 BST (UK) »
Lovely picture, thought i would try and improve it while i was bored. Afraid i can't help with date.
Drozdowski, Anderson, McMurray, Callaghan

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 October 20 21:13 BST (UK) »
I think it's possibly WW1 era or just after.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 October 20 22:33 BST (UK) »

I'd guess 1910/20 ???

But a very quick tweak to compensate :D :D :D

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 October 20 22:41 BST (UK) »
Further to my previous post #2 and tomkin's estimate,  here are a couple with similar clothing

http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~victorianphotographs/history/date/a1917.htm

http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~victorianphotographs/history/date/a1919.htm

No father present which does suggest 1914-1918

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 October 20 23:13 BST (UK) »
The war years would have been my guess too.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline 7Y

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 October 20 12:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all your suggestions and enhanced photo’s, they really are lovely. 

Whilst it may look like the photo was taken in a ‘barn’, the striped background came from the photocopier rollers.  Photocopiers were fairly new when this was taken, so I’m not surprised it’s of poor quality compared with modern times.

I have to admit, I feel a little embarrassed now at asking questions I could have easily answered with a bit of effort.  Since posting, I have done a bit of research on this family branch, and have discovered the following.  The youngest child, sat on the girl’s knee, was born in January 1915, the little girl was born in January 1914, and the boy standing was born in May1912. 

As suggested, the Father would have been away (at war) when this was taken, as he never actually got to see his youngest son.  The Father was killed at the beginning of June 1915, making his youngest son five months old.  Now looking at the photo, I would say that the youngest is probably nearer one year old, but have to say, I’m not very good at guessing ages.  so I would say that the photo was taken after the Father’s death  - my next question is, who are the two older girls - they must have been included for a reason.

The Father of this group had four younger sisters, and I am wondering if the two girls were related to him, hence why they were included.  They are as follows. 

Ada  1891              -     24 at time of photo
Alice  1894           -     21 at time of photo
Gertrude  1897           -     18 at time of photo
Ann aka Annie  1906   -      9 at time of photo

Whilst the oldest girl seems to fit with Gertrude, aged 18, the one stood at the back looks to be a bit older than 9/10 say.

There are no females on Grandma Burgess’ side, so that rules that out. 

Any suggestions would be gratefully received, and many thanks again for your input and enhanced photo.

Sally

Offline 7Y

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 October 20 18:00 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if I could call on your enhancement generosity one more time.  It's the same family, with a young version of Grandma Burgess, and the three children again.

With dates and certain facts now in place, I am wondering if the one of the children was taken when Grandma Burgess remarried in 1919 - I say this, as the children appear to be very dressed up, with the little girl carrying a flower basket.

Thank you in advance if you are able to help me.
Sally

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 October 20 11:08 BST (UK) »

I'm doing a restore for you. You should always put a new request for a restore on to a new

topic. I nearly didn't see this because I'd done a previous restore on this topic and only

revisited by accident.   Other restorers may have also missed your new request.