Author Topic: Are results trustworthy?  (Read 738 times)

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Are results trustworthy?
« on: Sunday 11 October 20 22:51 BST (UK) »
I ha ve just had my DNA test results returned and although I am really glad to have engaged in the process one thing is giving me doubt.

I'm listed as being
51% English
31% Irish
14% Scotish
04% Norwegian

I'm fine with all this but, and I've checked to be certain, it states that I have no Welsh DNA. This seems strange because several lines of my tree seem to go back to Wales, both in my own research and in the matches I have with other trees. Does anyone else struggle to accept the results they have been given or doubt the system at all?

Thanks, Luke

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Are results trustworthy?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 October 20 23:17 BST (UK) »
Ethnicity results vary between companies, so depending on who you tested with the results could be different, the way they define regions can vary, and some can define results more precisely than others. It’s best not to take much notice of these percentages.

It is a moving feast and your results are likely to change as more people take tests.

There are many many threads questioning unexpected ethnicity results - you might like to have a browse to get some idea of other’s questions and advice given.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 October 20 00:48 BST (UK) »
Also I think it depends what part of wales your ancestors were from originally as where the ethnicity line is drawn
How far back do you go ?

Have any family members tested ...do their results coincide ?

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 October 20 07:12 BST (UK) »
I ha vie just had my DNA test results returned and although I am really glad to have engaged in the process one thing is giving me doubt.

I'm listed as being
51% English
31% Irish
14% Scotish
04% Norwegian

I'm fine with all this but, and I've checked to be certain, it states that I have no Welsh DNA. This seems strange because several lines of my tree seem to go back to Wales, both in my own research and in the matches I have with other trees. Does anyone else struggle to accept the results they have been given or doubt the system at all?

Thanks, Luke

What do you class as Welsh DNA?
Most countries of the world are populated by people whose ancestors come from many different countries. Countries were invaded, people immigrated and emigrated, married, interbred, and raped, inhabitants were killed in the process. As a result very few of the original inhabitants of a country have left a traceable DNA trail, even when there is an ancient DNA trail it is highly probable it stems not from an original inhabitant but from an immigrant.

The people in North Wales are different genetically from the People of South Wales, for instance those in North Wales may be more genetically similar to people in Ireland and those in South Wales more genetically similar to those in France.

Look on ethnicity as a bit of fun rather than a scientific fact.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 October 20 09:28 BST (UK) »
 ;D As Guy says - look on it as a bit of fun but please - never take it seriously!

Over the years the tests I manage have changed dramatically as the various sites update their ethnicity estimates. The most ridiculous being that Mum went from 100% Swedish to (currently) only 10%. The latter is more what we would expect - the former did make us laugh though!

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

guest189040

« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 October 20 12:16 BST (UK) »
I am
59% England and NW Europe, no real surprise
20% Irish, my 2xGGM was Irish and on another line my 4xGGP was also Irish
7% Wales, surprising as my Grandmothers maiden name was Evans and we go back hundreds of years
5% Southern Italy, yep well that is an anomoly or a visiting sailor
3% Scotland, zero Scottish Ancestors for the last three hundred years but being from the northern belt of England those damn Scottish raiders may well have played their part and it probably accounts for my love of the amber nectar

This is very, very different from what it was four years ago when we did the test.

As Liz states it will vary as the Ancestry database grows.

Take the ethnicity results not with a pinch of salt but a whole bag of Saxa.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 October 20 13:45 BST (UK) »
On the othet hand I have been impressed.with some of the accuracy I'm 12 percent jewish from a great grandfather and have over 50 percent scottish from 2 grandparents and a great great grandmother on other side its the welsh Irish North European + English amounts that keep changing
But the definition changes too .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 October 20 14:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you all, i feel a little more reassured now