Author Topic: Best Way to Colour Code Ancestry DNA Groups  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: Best Way to Colour Code Ancestry DNA Groups
« Reply #27 on: Friday 24 May 24 11:15 BST (UK) »
They are rolling out changes to the match lists, pages of matches rather than scrolling down a list (just select how are displayed per page)

Coloured dots replaced with squares. Still just 24 colours but each can be used multiple times to create more groups. Group names can now include letters, numbers and emojis,  they appear with the first letter or number of the group name so you could have multiple red groups but identify them by the first letter/number. Also  edit groups, relationships & notes from the match list page

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 24 May 24 11:37 BST (UK) »
Don't need colour codes for paternal + maternal on ancestry anymore ...matches are automatically assigned to parents 1 & 2 and you only need to assign which is which
This no longer applies to your DNA matches unless you have an Ancestry subscription (one of many features that I recently lost as I currently don't have an account with them). Even if you do have an account and are able to see paternal and maternal matches they are not always accurate. When I was able to see them I often had to correct them manually then wait for an update. Also, some of my matches were unassigned at that time.

The system that I use and works for me is that the families of each great-grandparents has a colour assigned. Beyond that is a bit trickier. One great-grandfather doesn't have any further subdivisions to show relatives for his father and mother as both families came from a small geographical area and intermarried with other related families. Another great-grandfather has his mother's family, his grandmother's family, his great-grandmother's family and great-great-grandmother's family with their own colours since I have large groups of matches for these families.
One thing that I'm glad I did, just before I lost some features was assigning unknown matches as unknown paternal and unknown maternal whenever possible. At least now I have a better idea of my paternal & maternal matches.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 24 May 24 16:46 BST (UK) »
Don't need colour codes for paternal + maternal on ancestry anymore ...matches are automatically assigned to parents 1 & 2 and you only need to assign which is which
This no longer applies to your DNA matches unless you have an Ancestry subscription (one of many features that I recently lost as I currently don't have an account with them). Even if you do have an account and are able to see paternal and maternal matches they are not always accurate. When I was able to see them I often had to correct them manually then wait for an update. Also, some of my matches were unassigned at that time.

The system that I use and works for me is that the families of each great-grandparents has a colour assigned. Beyond that is a bit trickier. One great-grandfather doesn't have any further subdivisions to show relatives for his father and mother as both families came from a small geographical area and intermarried with other related families. Another great-grandfather has his mother's family, his grandmother's family, his great-grandmother's family and great-great-grandmother's family with their own colours since I have large groups of matches for these families.
One thing that I'm glad I did, just before I lost some features was assigning unknown matches as unknown paternal and unknown maternal whenever possible. At least now I have a better idea of my paternal & maternal matches.

Mine runs out today but as I've been busy with a lot of sources recently took the keep my tree option or whatever it's called so at least I can still see the records I attached. Roll on Pro Tools arriving, that looks like it could be useful rather than the useless AI stuff they have  just thrown up  for the one click copy brigade.