Author Topic: Fewell aka Fowell family.  (Read 926 times)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Fewell aka Fowell family.
« on: Tuesday 13 October 20 02:37 BST (UK) »
Is anyone researching the family of Robartt Fewell and his wife Marie Boughtell whom he married 20 April 1581 at Withersfield, Suffolk?

Their son Giles was baptised 12 Mar 1581 at Withersfield, Giles is my ancestor.

I have tried to find additional children for this family but failed dismally, I'm hoping someone has already researched this family and could help me, I'm living in Australia so access to the Suffolk Records Office is out of consideration.

Giles moved to Thaxted Essex where he married Elizabetha Trueman aka Trewman.

I have found in Cambridge University Alumni a Rev Robartt Fewell of Withersfield who studied at Cambridge University in the early 1500s, I believe he could be the father of Robartt Fewell who married Marie Boughtell but I have no proof.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fewell aka Fowell family.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 October 20 09:28 BST (UK) »
Have you looked in 'Surname Interests' under 'Your Tools' below, to see if anyone else is researching your family?

Do you have evidence that it is the same Giles moving from Suffolk to Essex.

Have you also looked on Ancestry trees, or other published family tree sites to see who has the family?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 October 20 10:43 BST (UK) »
https://british-history.ac.uk

Pop "robert fewell" in Keywords (include "   " as part of key) - returns 3 hits. The first relates to a Robert Fewell at Cambridge with a date.

Else, pretty slim pickings re. your "rellie".

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 October 20 10:55 BST (UK) »
FreeREG has some Thaxted records including;

The 1603 Marriage of Giles/Elizabetha   29 Jun 1603

Burial of a ROBERTUS Fewell 5 Aug 1589 ***

Now are the Children of Giles Baptised there with Father as Egidii/Aegidi?
(1604/1623)
Thomas 24 Feb 1615/6 has Parents as Aegidii/Elizabethe

Elizabeth Wife of Gyles buried 8 Nov 1652
Gyles buried 18 Dec 1655

Sorry thats all I can come up with.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 03:13 BST (UK) »
FreeREG has some Thaxted records including;

The 1603 Marriage of Giles/Elizabetha   29 Jun 1603

Now are the Children of Giles Baptised there with Father as Egidii/Aegidi?
(1604/1623)
Thomas 24 Feb 1615/6 has Parents as Aegidii/Elizabethe

Elizabeth Wife of Gyles buried 8 Nov 1652
Gyles buried 18 Dec 1655

Sorry thats all I can come up with.

"Now are the Children of Giles Baptised there with Father as Egidii/Aegidi?", yes Trish that Egidii etc is Giles the father, I found 11 children of Giles and his wife baptised at Thaxted 1604 to 1623, plus one, Helena, buried 12 Sep 1621 at Thaxted which so far I haven't found a birth or baptism for.

It's the Suffolk mob I'm having trouble with but thanks for taking the time for me, much appreciated.

Giles Latin name in the PRs had me fooled for a while until I consulted a Simple Latin booklet I have.

Have you looked in 'Surname Interests' under 'Your Tools' below, to see if anyone else is researching your family?

Do you have evidence that it is the same Giles moving from Suffolk to Essex.

Have you also looked on Ancestry trees, or other published family tree sites to see who has the family?

I have searched extensively on Ancestry's Essex Parish Register Index (EPRI), FreeReg, Family Search, FindMyPast and the Genealogist and I could not find a Giles Fewell, Fowell or other variants born or baptised in Essex in an appropriate time frame.

I have also seen an article which mentions Robert's son Gilles moving to Thaxted and the family later moved To Takeley, Essex, I have just tried to locate that article and failed, I must backtrack and find it.

Additionally I and other Fewell researchers were tipped off by the son of  Reverend Mills who had researched this family and concluded they originated in Suffolk,  I will stress at this point I have also carried out my own checking on the family with help from people on this site and another for which I'm very grateful.

Yes I have searched Ancestry's Public Trees and not found anything I didn't already know  unfortunately.

I feel sure there are other children besides Giles but they are eluding me, if only Suffolk's PRs were online like those of Essex.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 09:58 BST (UK) »
From my earlier post is it possible this is Giles Father?

EDIT did a bit of googling and can see this has been explored!

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 03:05 BST (UK) »
From my earlier post is it possible this is Giles Father?

EDIT did a bit of googling and can see this has been explored!

Sorry I missed that Trish, I had to do everything in a hurry that day.

I do think the 1589 burial of Robert at Thaxted is Giles father, there is no cast iron proof of course because recording was annoyingly brief in Thaxted in that period.  Robert gave up the priesthood in 1584 and then it is thought for whatever reason moved to Thaxted, possibly because of ill health and so to be with family but of course that's just conjecture.

I have searched for another Robert Fewell/Fowell, or any likely variation of the name but found none.

On 4 Nov 2015 diddymiller on RootsChat checked the Suffolk Burial Index and found that there are only two Fewell burials on the Index: Judith Fewell widow buried 7 Oct1681 at Bury St Edmunds, St Mary's and the other, Thomas Fewell buried 13 Nov 1727 at Sudbury.

Just for the record.
Other snippets I came across were a Roberti Fowell married Maria Willet 26 Oct 1605 at Ingatestone, that was from Family Search, whether he is a brother of Giles or a relation I think will be next to impossible to prove. 

I also found the baptisms of the following Fowell children:-
Jeremy 16 Mar 1588 at Shenfield, no parent names.
Thomas 27 Mar 1590 at Shenfield, no parent names.
Henricus 16 Apr 1604 at Ingatestone, son of Robert, buried 1 Jun 1606. this child had two entries on Ancestry's Essex Parish Register Index, the name given as Eric and Ericus, the name Henricus is from Family search.

A Ricardi Fowel baptised a son, Ludovicus, 12 Apr 1607 at Ingatestone.

That's just about is the sum of my knowledge of the family of Robert Fewell, whether the above Robert and Richard Fowell are brothers of Giles is anyone's guess, currently, as I've stated before, I suspect there are other children of Robert and Marie Fewell born somewhere in Suffolk but with what is currently online I can't find them.

Regards.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 12:21 BST (UK) »
Its very frustrating I am sure for you but on the upside others would be very pleased to get back as far as your have with your Family. :)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 October 20 01:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,

I'm very, very pleased to get back this far with this Fewell line, I was lucky to have help along the way and a Tip Off where I should be heading, I am a little disappointed that I couldn't flesh out the family of Robert and Marie Fewell because as I stated, I think there would be other children born and baptised somewhere in Suffolk.  At a later date I might have another crack at finding additional children, some more info could find it's way online or perhaps someone who may have found the children, fingers crossed.

I appreciate very much you and others who have responded to this topic, so a big thank you.