Author Topic: Thomas Purves Johnston  (Read 850 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Purves Johnston
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 June 21 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Indiana.59

My input to this thread was purely to help out the poster by looking and offering possible avenues for them to explore, I have no connection to the family.

Oddly the original post 'appears' to have been addressed to your user name.

Perhaps BorderReiver58 saw a related post by you, signed up and rather than reply in the relevant thread started a new one - often it can take a while for new folk to suss out how the boards work.
They haven't responded and this is their one and only post in RC.

Boo

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 June 21 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

That what you get for finding a link off google in the early hours of the morning, he he he, but, you gave me some wonderful info on Thomas there, I will check out BorderReiver58's orginal link and find what gives there, I can see quite clearly now in the light of day I have mixed both the messages up, but, I hope BorderReiver58 got to see you messages as you put some effort in there to which I am very grateful, so nothing has be been wasted, Many thanks Indiana.59 (Dianne)

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 June 21 12:01 BST (UK) »
Indiana.59

Thomas Purves Johnston, was my Great Uncle. My Grandmother was his Sister.

I have recently started Family Tree research.

I have been told by my late Father and another family member that Uncle Tom was married certainly twice. During WW1 he had a leg blown off and he was disabled out of the services and lived with his parents before marrying in 1916.

I have also been told that during WW2, Tom was employed as a Crane Driver at Leith Docks Edinburgh. There he was highly respected due to the fact everyday he would climb up the cranes so he could predominantly women how to use them.

I am told he subsequently returned to Berwick where he died. (Still researching)

My enquiries suggest Toms 1st Wife was Charlotte 'Lottie' Manson and they married in Jan 1916 in Berwick.
They had three daughters:
Eleanor Manson Johnston b. 1919
Jane 'Connie' Cockburn Johnston b. 1920 &
Christina Margaret Johnston b. 1922
I have been told that Charlotte passed away. My enquiries indicate that she died in 1924 as did Christina, but i have no information as to their passing.

Tom re-married on 16 Jan 1926 in Edinburgh. Marrying a widow by the name of Elizabeth Grant Shearer also known as Durnan b. 1886

I am trying to establish the full family of James Johnston (b 27/07/1839) & Margaret Murray (b 1840) who are the parents of my Great Grandfather Alexander Johnston (b 21/07/1868).

I have identified that a Thomas Purves Johnston aged 21 died in 1943 as a POW during WW2. Records indicate his parents as being Thomas Purves Johnston and Helen Smith Johnston of an address in Berwick. Clearly this could not be the Tom we are interested in but possibly a Cousin?

Hope this is of some assistance, please feel free to respond.

Hi BorderReiver58

Can I ask where your "James Johnston (b 27/07/1839) & Margaret Murray (b 1840) who are the parents of my Great Grandfather Alexander Johnston (b 21/07/1868)" is coming from, knowing which one of Thomas's sisters may help me to understand which line from Aexander you are . . .  there is a marriage found below:

INFO ON A JAMES JOHNSTON – MARGARET MURRAY MARRIAGE AS FOLLOWS:

Name:          James Johnston
Marriage Date:       24 Jul 1863
Marriage Place:    Dalmeny, West Lothian, Scotland
Spouse:       Margaret Murray

Which is a near as I can get . . .

Kind regards Indiana.59 (Dianne)