Author Topic: Luke Broady  (Read 398 times)

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Luke Broady
« on: Wednesday 14 October 20 22:23 BST (UK) »
Could somebody please verify if I'm going down the right path.
I have an ancestor called Luke Broadie (love his name), born in Ashton in Makerfield, who married a Mary Booth from Almondbury, in 1815 at All Hallows Almondbury.
When I initially found the information, there were two Mary Booths, born in the mid 1790's, but only one born in All Hallows.
Her parents were John Booth and Lydia Beamont.
I seem to be on a bit of a roll with Lydia's ancestors, tracing back to her Great Grandparents, (into the 17th century) all from Almondbury and I could probably go further back.
So, my issue is, I don't want to carry on, if I've chosen the wrong Mary Booth who married Luke Broadie.
Luke and Mary moved to Manchester some time after 1825, when my GGG Grandmother Mary was born and before the 1841 census.
Thanks in advance
Richard
McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Luke Broady
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 October 20 03:00 BST (UK) »
Going back to the beginning.
Have you found Luke Broadie and Mary on the Census?
What place of birth do they give? (they may have died before 1841/1851 of course).
Do you KNOW Mary came from Almondsbury? or have you just assumed this because they got married there?
Ashton in Makerfield is some 45 miles to Almonsbury. I assume you mean Almonsbury in Yorkshire as you've posted this on the Yorshire Board - there are other places called Almonsbury in the uk, most notably the one in Bristol.
Ashton in Makerfield came under the historic county of Lancashire, now part of Greater Manchester.

Some ideas to help with verification of Mary Booth.
Have you looked at all the names of the children of Luke Broadie and Mary Booth?
You're lucky in that 'Lydia' is a relatively uncommon name.
I'd say if there was a Lydia amongst them, there's a very good possibility you have the correct parents.
If no Lydia it doesn't necessarily mean the wrong family though.
Look at all the other names you have. Do any of them match up? What about grandchildren even. Maybe they called a girl Lydia after her grandmother.

Is there a marriage for another Mary Booth around the same place around the same time? Does SHE have a daughter called Lydia? There may be more than one Mary Booth you'll need to eliminate, possibly tracking them through the censuses.

Have you looked for any wills for the family?
Did Luke leave a will? If so he may mention other members of his wife's family - nephews nieces etc, who may be called Booth. Or his executor may be a Booth; or one of the witnesses.
What about Luke's father? Have you found him and checked if he left a will? Same looking for clues apply.
Same thing for Mary's father John Booth. Did he leave a will? Also look for a will for the father of the other Mary Booth. You may be lucky and find one of them mentions his daughter 'Mary Broadie'  :)

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 October 20 07:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for all the advice.
I haven't found any wills for Luke or Mary, but they did have a daughter called Lydia, b. 1827 in Almondbury, Yorkshire. (Sorry, I should've put that).
I have a Luke Broadie born 1790 in Ashton in Makerfield, with a father Joseph. I can't find a Luke Broadie born in Manchester...
(There is a record for anothe Luke born to Joseph in the same place in 1787, but he died.)
I have 1841, 1851 and 1861 censuses with the family living in Manchester.
On one of the censuses Luke is down as born in Manchester and Mary born in Huddersfield!! But the others say Almondbury.

McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 October 20 09:43 BST (UK) »
Back to looking to see if there are any wills from the previous generation then.

Good news they did have a daughter named Lydia. Stacks up a little bit more evidence in your favour.

good luck! :)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 October 20 15:06 BST (UK) »
Is this one of their children

Baptism: 2 Jul 1837 Collegiate, Manchester, Lancashire, England
William Broady - Son of Luke Broady & Mary
    Abode: Manchr

1851?

Name   Age
Luke Brodie   61 b - Ashton in Willows (Makerfield)
Mary Brodie   56 b Almondbury
Thomas Brodie   56
Elizabeth Brodie   29
Lydia Brodie   27
Jane Brodie   20 b Manchester

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 October 20 15:38 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's them, Iancscan
But I had Thomas his son as 36 not 56?
Thanks
Richard

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 October 20 16:19 BST (UK) »
sorry yes - I copied the transcription without checking the image

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 October 20 21:54 BST (UK) »
Ahh no worries