Author Topic: Help with Family Tree Maker  (Read 478 times)

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Family Tree Maker
« on: Monday 19 October 20 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have a 2008 version of Family Tree Maker on a very old PC. I can still access my tree but the PC is
taking a long time to open and I know it is likely to “die” any day soon. I now have a new PC and am trying to work out how I can view my tree on this PC.  I have copied the data from the tree onto a memory stick, hoping that I can upload this onto my new computer. I realise that I will probably need to install a new version of the FTM application to copy the data onto but I’m unsure whether this will work. Before I purchase a new copy of FTM, can anyone please confirm that this should work and would I have to remove all my photos and media first. If so, how do I remove the photos? I’ve tried doing this but although I can edit photos there doesn’t seem to be a way of deleting them.
Thanks for reading.
James

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Family Tree Maker
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 October 20 17:29 BST (UK) »
When I changed versions of Family Tree Maker, to a laptop without a DVD drive, I uploaded my previous version to Dropbox and then downloaded it onto the new machine.

It worked fine and everything I had had on my old machine appeared without problem on my new one so I would think you could do this.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 October 20 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
Before anything else is initiated, BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP.     
You can never have enough.     

Run FTM on your old m/c and export the tree(s) as Gedcom (v 5.5) [ It will not export media ]     

Should you want to view the gedcom file . . . . .
Import to a free package ( legacy v8 ) or one of the others mentioned on "here".     
Import to a free Zoompast.com account.     
Or one of quite a few others which are recommended "here"

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 October 20 19:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for both your advice. I'll check them both out - hopefully one or the other will sort it for me.