Author Topic: Marriage Borserio to Fiorina - Italian Translation help  (Read 722 times)

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Borserio to Fiorina - Italian Translation help
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 October 20 07:30 BST (UK) »
Mary50, I have another huge request for you. This is a snip of my husband's grandmother's birth record in 1889 in Villa di Tirano, Sondrio, Italy. It states that her father was Giovanni and I am not sure whether the woman mentioned (Maria Scaletti) was his mother or his wife and it is strange as it has fu after her name I think which is deceased? Alan's family had believed that Maria Scaletti was the mother (and that the father was Domenico but they got this wrong). Help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Deb
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline Mary50

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 October 20 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb.

Year 1879 (not 1889), 3rd March (it looks like the clerk started writing Feb --- then changed to March) appeared Romeo Giovanni, age 36, farmer, who declared that on the 2nd of the current month at the house on Via Beltramelli at no. 215, from Scarletti Maria, his wife, farmer, living with him ........ What you see as "fu' " is actually "sua"=his.

Here is a view of Via Beltramelli.  The numbers today only seem to go into the 30's.  Perhaps either the 2 or the 5 represent an apt. no.  Beautiful scenery.

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.2048959,10.135653,3a,75y,303.39h,87.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s87bRCHr2Kc5L6WHNP5KB_g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Mary

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 31 October 20 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Oh wow, Mary, thank you so much for this! It does look very pretty! Their surname was Ronco not Romeo, but thank you for that. The s's were written as f's which is interesting to know. I had noticed that before in a name (Bassi) but had forgotten that fact. Thank you for the extra information on the address. You have gone above and beyond. You are also right about the year being 1879. My husband's grandmother was in her 30's when she came to Australia. It was an arranged marriage and it took some time for her future husband to become established in Australia after many setbacks, such as diseases in cattle, rust on a coffee plantation, an accident etc. They eventually married and had one son. I suspect she was a bit old to have any more children (for those days). Thank you again. Deb

McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline Mary50

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 November 20 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb.  Glad to be of help.  Sorry, should have looked more closely at the name, definitely, Ronco.  Will be glad to help out with any other documents you may find.

Mary

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Mary!  :) :) :)