Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 22nd October  (Read 711 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday 22nd October
« on: Thursday 22 October 20 23:45 BST (UK) »
Posting before sleep overtakes me.......

Woke late again, heaven knows how I'll be next week after the clocks go back, whichever way they change it plays havoc with my body clock. I hate the dark nights, I go into hibernation mode at this time of year and often feel depressed. I hope my daily walks will help me avoid that.

A friend phoned late morning, we spent quite a while chatting and had a laugh about a few things, it was really enjoyable.

I did remember to change the bed today, no fingernails were hurt in the process. Had an email to say my order from Matalan is on the way, tracking says it will be delivered tomorrow between 8am and 8pm. That precise huh? I'll put money on it that it arrives during my Zoom art class.

Weather was bright, there had been a heavy shower at one point but I was pleased to see that it soon disappeared. Went for a walk after lunch, not quite as cold out as I thought. Usual area.

Did some more work to my painting as per my art teacher's advice, sent it off to her. Tidied away my art materials properly, at some point I'll have to take everything out of the cupboards and put it in a proper order.

Texted my friend who recently moved house to ask how she is, haven't heard from her for a while but I knew she has had workmen in doing allsorts. She phoned me, she is overrun with workmen now, is living in her bedroom while they work in the rest of the house. Another long chat, great to catch up. She sent me some before and after photos of the house.

After that I couldn't be bothered messing about with anything for tea so got a portion of chilli out of the freezer, it's unheard of for me to have red meat twice in one week.

Not a very busy day but great to chat to friends. Don't know why I feel so tired.....
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 22nd October
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 October 20 00:24 BST (UK) »
Glad to hear you were able to get out for a walk, continue with your painting, change your bed and chat with friends.... it’s just typical when you get those kind of delivery times it’ll come when you’re in the middle of something! That’s quite a time span 8am-8pm! I like the delivery slots that give an hour and they’re very reliable...

I couldn’t believe it when I got up to see fine rain falling... what! It said sunshine which is why I’d set the washing machine last night...
OH had gone off to play golf.... using his new golf clubs!
Daughter must be telepathic as she’d sent a message round to thank all who’d contributed to OH’s video... I’d been thinking I must do that to our friends I’d contacted... so I sent out an email...
By the time I’d finished breakfast it had stopped raining so put out the washing... it was very mild .. I was quite surprised...
As it’s been a good few weeks since I’ve done any yogalates I found a couple of my teachers videos, put on my exercise clothing, moved the coffee table in the lounge and spent just over an hour doing her routines... it felt good and I must get back into it more regularly....
Made a coffee and phoned to chat with a friend... it’s always good to swap notes, have a few laughs and generally brighten up the day...
Showered, hair wash and then dashed off to meet S to give her the 🌈 tops, Face coverings, bunting and elephants... she was delighted with with them...now got more fabric for face coverings...
Popped to the shop over the road  from our meeting place for milk, fruit... I needed a new can opener as ours fell to bits and although most tins have ring  pulls some don’t and it’s always those you need.... no luck..
On way home called into local small town and got can opener, yeast from bakery and paid our paper bill... as it was lunch time all establishments were quiet so no worries about crowded places!
Once home just made some lunch when OH returned... asked about new clubs if they were ok....  bit to early to tell yet needs to get used to them apparently!
Sat and had a chat for a while....
went to cut out some face coverings...
Had a cuppa and we watched Boris’s daily missive... don’t some of these reporters ask the dumbest questions and they use such emotive language...makes my blood boil!
Decided to cook dinner... just spaghetti sauce... large batch so can freeze several lots...
After dinner we watched tv... rest of the Story of the B.ball player Michael Jordan  very interesting...
That’s the sum of my day..... hope others have had a better one!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 October 20 03:11 BST (UK) »
Sun was shining brightly when I woke which was a good omen for the day - it was my birthday after all!

Had a fairly relaxing day after opening the cards and presents I had been given plus the usual pottering around that you do.   Just after 4pm I headed over to my sisters for dinner.   We had lasagne - homemade by b-in-law - with salad and garlic bread followed by a raspberry roulade.  Yummy!   Plus a glass of rose wine.   More presents and some beautiful flowers - currently 3 vases full in the lounge.   Left around 8pm as sister had a Zoom meeting then (church) which would last at least an hour.

Evening spent knitting and on PC (to which I've just returned before bed after a lovely day).

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 October 20 07:54 BST (UK) »
Made an early bread raid on town, and I really enjoyed the walk as it was a bright sunny morning with clear blue sky and hardly any breeze.
Town was quiet so I walked through the centre, but left my mask on until I was away from the shops area.  I realise I am becoming increasingly spooked by other people wandering around coughing near me!
The little park was devoid of interesting things, but as I crossed the road towards the sea front, a group of 6 swans came off from the sea and flew directly above me, then over the park and back in the direction of the Goodrington pond I think.
What a majestic sight.
Walked over to Oldway Mansion with H to check out progress on the tea rooms which are being revamped after some successful crowd funding. Thank goodness we have some local people with drive and vision.
If trippers bring revenue, work can begin to rescue the mansion.
Returned along the seafront road, dodging a surprising number of people milling around, and realised we now have 5 cruise ships anchored in Torbay.  Evidently the Emerald Princess has joined the 4 Dutch cruisers, and still Queen Mary with 3 others "around the corner" close in-shore in Lyme Bay.
After lunch drove over to Totnes for a garden Morris get together. We continue to alter our dances so that we remain suitably distanced at all times, and it is good for the spirit to have a skip around and a giggle.
Nothing much else to report.
Hope everyone has a reasonable day.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 October 20 07:56 BST (UK) »
A Happy belated Birthday wishes to you Annette.....glad to hear you had a lovely day.... flowers are always such a pleasure to receive to brighten up a room...

Mowsehowse - what a wonderful sight those swans must have looked, they’re such majestic birds.... my all those cruise ships must look a bit of a blot on the sea.... so many.. good to hear you enjoyed your dancing..... I like Totnes a pretty place... we bought a painting from the gallery there White Space Art....

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 October 20 08:12 BST (UK) »
Glad to know you had a lovely birthday Annette, and have so many beautiful flowers to keep your spirits up for days to come.
Caroline, another busy day for you, and so much achieved again, but I suspect that written down you feel, as I do, that it all seems a bit banal. I guess if I had diaries to look back over they would have looked that way for years.
Well done on another productive day Roobarb, a chat with a friend and and all fingernails intact. :)
I imagine your art cupboard needs to be very orderly so that you can find what you need easily, but you say you need to rake it all out and put it in proper order sometime, which might turn out to be an absorbing and rewarding project for you perhaps? And who knows what treasures you might re-discover?

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 October 20 14:23 BST (UK) »
Caroline, well done on getting back to the Yogalates, hope you're not feeling any ill effects today.

Annette, happy belated birthday from me too, very pleased to hear you had such a good day.

MH, always makes me laugh when you talk of your bread raid, I have a mental picture of loaves flying into the air! Lovely for you to see the swans and then get together for your dancing. You're right, my cupboard does need to be orderly, unfortunately it isn't at the moment which is why I end up turfing allsorts out every time I start something new. I'll put it on my to do list.  : :)

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 October 20 21:19 BST (UK) »
Happy birthday Annette,  are you a scorpio ? you are on the cusp aren't you

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 October 20 21:27 BST (UK) »
MH, Totnes , another one of the nice places on my list

Collected my wedding ring today, enlarged at what I thought was an extortionate  cost but at least I have it back  now, I am a tad worried, as the winter draws on my fingers always get slimmer, hope I don't lose it

Rain this morning, then  sunshine  and warmth like a summer day,  well I was fooled, another deluge after lunch and not a happy day, hope for better tomorrow

Stay safe

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London