Author Topic: Margaret Barr and Ellen Barr from Donegal  (Read 2695 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Barr and Ellen Barr from Donegal
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 January 21 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, Teech1954  :)

Have you found Eileen in the 1901 census? She doesn't show with siblings and father from the earlier 1901 info that was posted by Aghadowey:

Household of William Barr with daughters Enna & Maggie-
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Buncranna/Banville_Keelogs_and_Clonglash/1181199/
Ellen- http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Buncranna/Gransha/1181225/

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Teech1954

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 15:20 GMT (UK) »
There are no results for Eileen Barr anywhere in the 1901 Irish census. Nor can I find any record of her birth in Ireland. I know she was born in County Donegal and I am certain I have the correct family as we traced them to Springburn. My mother confirmed she had relatives in Springburn Glasgow. The 1851 census is too early to record her as she was born in 1890. I suspect she might have left Ireland for Scotland prior to 1901 along with a brother Joseph who would be around the same age. She would have been 11 years old in 1901. Her father is shown on the census as a widower. Perhaps, she was sent to Scotland along with her brother to be looked after by relatives. She appears in the Scotland census 1911. She was working as a laundry maid in Torryburn Fifeshire in 1911 at the age of 21. Her country of origin is recorded as Ireland. On her marriage certificated dated 25/12/1913 the same address is listed. She was married in Market Drayton, Shropshire to my grandfather John MacDiarmid and the lived in Dun Dhu, Aberfoyle Perthshire until her death on 7/6/1929. Prior to the age of 21 I have no information on her whatsoever. Any information would be much appreciated.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Would really help to find her and brother Joseph in the 1901 census. What do you have on her brother Joseph? How do you know about him?

One thing that worries me about trying to connect Eileen to the family of William Barr and Mary McGlynn, are the number of children showing on the 1911 census http://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002083215/

This states that there had been 8 children born and six living. From what we have seen here on this post, we have for the family:

Enna b. 1880
John b. 1881 https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1881/02828/2037150.pdf
Margaret b. 1883...link to cert above
Ellen b. 1885...link to cert above
Hannagh b. 1886...link to cert above

Missing one living child from this list to make up six...but not two to account for a Joseph and your Eileen  :-\ You have a specific date of birth for Eileen, 29/3/1890. Is this from her death reg or 1939 register?

Monica

Offline Teech1954

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 16:43 GMT (UK) »
I worked as a census officer in Scotland twice. As I recall you only record those individuals present in the house on the day of the census. I think by living they mean living in the house at the time of census. My mother is the source of most of the info I have and she was her daughter. Unfortunately, Eileen Barr died when my mother was only 4 years old. The names of those present in the census tally with my mother's recollections and the rest of the family. I have little doubt the family in Ireland and in Springburn are one and the same. I only know Joseph was born justshortly before or after Eileen. She may have attended school in Scotland so I am going to try and access the school admission register. It is a long shot but worth a try.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 16:46 GMT (UK) »
The name Eileen can be a variant of Helen etc, see www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=eileen

From Aghowdowey's earlier details, the Ellen we have as daughter of William and Mary was born on:

Ellen (born 2 Mar.1885)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1885/02658/1979921.pdf
Can't see marriage for Ellen in Inishowen district.

But no clues on Joseph so far. Did he move down to England for work with Eileen?

Monica

Offline Teech1954

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 16:50 GMT (UK) »
As he was not on the census I can only assume he went with Eileen as they both would have been very young at the time.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 16:51 GMT (UK) »
I think by living they mean living in the house at the time of census.

This question in 1911 was specifically asking the following questions:
- how many many years a couple had been married
- how many children born alive to them
- how many were still living

See also below from the actual form.

Offline Teech1954

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 16:56 GMT (UK) »
See what you mean. I would be inclined to forget about Joseph therefore and concentrate my efforts on Eileen. Couldn't see anything for Helen that fits in the cencus but will research births to see if that yields any info. Thanks

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 17:06 GMT (UK) »
The 1890 year for a birth is not possible. Just found Mary McGlynn's death and that of a baby son William on the same day https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1888/06168/4762871.pdf Father William reported both deaths  :-\

Just for info, if you don't have it, father William died in 1922. Death reported by brother John https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1922/05069/4389568.pdf

Monica