Author Topic: David Ross esq from where?  (Read 546 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Ross esq from where?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 October 20 16:03 GMT (UK) »
There's a Crum in that list Rena!  ;D

Skoosh.

Thanks Skoosh, Did you notice Mr Crum-Ewing was the son of Mr Ewing-Crum?

That family lost me when they emerged as
Ewing-Crum-Ewing - and other triple hyphanated names. ;D

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Scottish toffs traditionally don't hyphenate their names, so a double faux pas! If he was out in Demerara it was surely for the sugar!  ;D
 OVD Rum a fav' of mine.  ;D

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Scottish toffs traditionally don't hyphenate their names, so a double faux pas! If he was out in Demerara it was surely for the sugar!  ;D
 OVD Rum a fav' of mine.  ;D

Bests,
Skoosh.

Neither of them might have had any control over what was published.  Having said that, it wouldn't do to miss either of the surnames off because it showed their pecking order, a bit like the "Crum Brown"s.   When you have one of your "Crum"'s as an MP in Parliament you need everyone to know you might have a bit of clout due to your name.

Mine's a Jamaican navy rum and pep thanks.  ;D
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke