Author Topic: Diary > Monday 26th October  (Read 798 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Monday 26th October
« on: Tuesday 27 October 20 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Me first again, today has been so dull.

I was intending to send my parcel back today via the local petrol station, I reckoned it would be quieter on a Monday. Had been thinking of walking round there but there was a heavy rain shower during an otherwise bright morning and although I wouldn't have minded getting a little bit wet I didn't want a soaking so decided to drive. It would also give the car a run out albeit a short one. Was going to go after my walk but I knew I wouldn't enjoy my walk the same so went there first.

It was quiet there, had taken my card and some cash as I could do with some eggs before my next delivery, thought I'd see how things were inside before deciding whether to get them. There was only one woman around the grocery area so I braved it and got the eggs, took them to the counter with the parcel, all done in a couple of minutes, they let me pay with my card even though it was a small amount. An hour later the refund was back in my Amazon account.

Took the eggs indoors, washed my hands the went for my walk. Windy again today, didn't rain again. On the way back I came via the road where the house with the tape across the door is. Had a good look, there was more tape inside the window and Halloween decorations so it looks like that's what it's about. Stupid.   ::)

Emailed my painting to art teacher, she was pleased with the changes and approved it as completed. Mostly housework today, cleaned the bathroom, sorted some stuff in the freezer, did some ironing. Actually went and pulled some dead stuff out of the garden, was out there for about three minutes, it was chilly and really dull by then.

Put the TV on quite early, couldn't be bothered with anything else. Rain forecast tomorrow in most places.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 26th October
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Good to hear you discovered what the taped up door was all about.... Halloween nothing more sinister!
At least you know your local garage is a relatively safe place should you need anything else in an emergency....
I admire your fortitude to keep walking every day despite weather conditions....
Pleasing to know your art work has met your teachers expectations and now completed too... on to the next topic?

Up early as it’s shopping day.... having to do it in two parts today though.... it wasn’t as cold as I thought which was good as I’d just got a thickish jumper and a gilet on! First stop the greengrocers... empty ... no children about either as it’s half term... next Lidl’s ... Few people in there mostly respecting others space just a couple of men totally unaware of others.... finally the bank which was quiet... glad I live in an area where the nearest town is quite small and not bustling with people.... home... usual activity with shopping, isolate, wash, repack in other containers.... it’s all seems a normal way to behave now...
After breakfast didn’t feel like doing much so sat and read for awhile...OH busy making bread... he’d forgotten as I hadn’t got all the stuff out for him as a reminder ..... going to be nearly teatime at this rate!
Had a tidy up... bit of vacuuming...
Continued with some more sewing ....
Sons present arrived... he’d had a jigsaw made from a photo of all the family OH very touched....
Bread ready... my turn for the crust....
off out had to go to the bank again! OH decided he needed a change of four walls so drove... go to collect shopping from Waitrose .... same procedure once home... I definitely don’t like having c n c late a /noon....
my turn to host coffee on Tuesday so made lemon drizzle cake and dipped the biscuits I’d made yesterday in dark chocolate... just half the biscuit and popped a slither of stem ginger on top and into the fridge to set...
As we’d had a late lunch we had a late dinner, breaded cod with lots of vegs...
Watched tv.... did some knitting...
Another exciting day passes by....not keen on drawing the curtains at 5pm ..... weather not looking wonderful this week.... good job I’ve got plenty of sewing to do!
Depressing seeing other cities going into higher tiers and large parts of Europe also having much stricter regulations too...
Hope everyone else is coping with this new life.....

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Well done to get into an actual shop Roobarb, and Caroline so busy as usual. I feel very ineffectual in comparison.  :)
DIARY: Woken by the seagulls when the clock said 06:00, but was actually around my usual time, so I decided to get up and enjoy the daylight, as I needed to make an early bread raid.  I thought about Roobarb's comments of visualising flying loaves, which had surprised me, as I vaguely pictured myself as a Brunhilde type with flowing braids and a winged headdress leading a horde of Valkyries.  :D 
(What a disappointment to learn recently that the Vikings are thought NOT to have worn horned helmets.)
Around 07:30 I left the apartment block quietly to a bright sunny start to the day, although raining just enough to produce an immense rainbow arc in the most delicate of pastel colours. 
I was interested to count at least 8 cyclists, and felt they must be very grateful to have such good lighting conditions.  Despite not rushing I still arrived before the bakery opened, but only had to wait a few minutes.  While my loaf was in the slicing machine I heard really loud alarm bells ringing, and as I left I was told it was the Tesco's fire alarm.
I wandered through the almost empty precinct, and the little park which was totally empty, to the seafront where all the ships lay veiled in mist.
As I approached the harbour I was hopeful I might see oyster catchers, but then I noticed a little boy running around on the sand  so it seemed unlikely.  However I was delighted there was one in the far corner who rushed back to the best hunting place as soon as the little lad was taken away and I managed to get some good photos of him foraging for food.
While I was in the shower, the elderly lady we were supposed to visit this morning phoned to say she was unwell, so that has been cancelled for now, and we went out to enjoy the sunshine along Goodrington Beach instead, avoiding the visitors as far as possible.
After a quick lunch had a dust around and a bit of a clean up to impress SiL who planned to pop in for a chat and a cuppa, and then deleted lots of old emails from my laptop to free up some space.
Evening Morris practise at the barn. Quite tricky having to wear a mask throughout, but better than nothing. We are still working on changing all the dances to be covid safe, that is no linking hands or arms, and turning away from each other not towards, so we are all having to concentrate very hard.
A lovely clear night, and driving off the ring road down towards sea level gave a fabulous view of all the cruise ships lit up.
Hope everyone has a reasonable day.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Had to be up early as car into garage at 8.30am. - alarm set for 7 but do you think I could sleep?   All kinds of stupid thoughts kept coming (the kind of thoughts there are no answers to, especially in the middle of the night).   Finally went to sleep and woke up at 6.50am - at most I'd had 2 hours sleep.  My b-in-law coming with me so that he could drive me home after dropping off the car. and would take me to pick it up later.   However, like me a few weeks ago, workmen are putting in cables in the pavement in their road and when garage said car was ready late afternoon the men were workng in his driveway and he couldn't get out so we agreed to get my car in the morning.

Was home by 9am - not used to being up and dressed at this time of the day (let alone having been out).  Had another coffee and went on PC for a while and then sat down to watch 'Homes under the Hammer' at 10 (don't usually watch TV in the morning).   Felt really tired (unsurprisingly) so lay on sofa for a while but didn't fall asleep as I'd hoped.   Made some lunch, watched afternoon TV and did some knitting.   Finished the garment and then sewed it up.   So, another couple of jackets done.  Which pattern to use next?   I normally buy the buttons I need from Dunelm but looking online last week it seemed every item was shown as 'out of stock' which I thought was odd and didn't want to drive to the store if they weren't going to have them.   Eventually found the same items at Hobbycraft and since my nearest store is on outskirts of town decided to order online.   They arrived mid afternoon via Hermes again!   By the time I got downstairs to answer the door the driver had gone to my downstairs neighbour - as I opened the door I could hear my neighbour saying 'she's not in' because he'd obviously seen that my car wasn't there.  Had a giggle over that.

Cumberland Pie for dinner with vegetables and then jelly/custard.   Remembered to watch 'Who do you Think You Are' at 9pm.   Not sure what I watched the rest of the evening - went to bed earlier than usual and went out like a light!

Read about a wedding in Brighton with 250 guests - words fail me.   To my mind, the people organising the event aren't the only ones who should get fined £10,000 - I think that those attending should be fined the same as at the end of the day ALL of them attending know they are breaking the rules.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Mowsehowse- I do love your descriptions of beach walks, bird life and ghostly misted ships out at sea along with pastel rainbows.... in the real world so normal....but probably not bread runs at 7.30 am... what time is that anyway 😩..how lovely to get together with your dancing friends even if you’re having to invent a whole new way of doing it....

Annette- an early start for you too... it’s a shock to the system for sure when it’s not in your normal remit! I usually find that a poor nights sleep is reflected the following day... your nieces new twins will be clothed in lots of lovely garments from you and great to keep busy doing them...
Agree entirely with your sentiments over a wedding of 250 people.... of course people want their special day and that’s understandable but to knowingly flout the rules goes beyond the pale.... people will be people and many have blinkers on thinking only if themselves....

Off to do more sewing...
Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Caroline - yes, onto the next art project this week - All creatures great and small. Can't say it floats my boat but it all adds to my knowledge of techniques.
What a thoughtful present from your son, you'll have to let us know how long it takes for OH to reunite the family! Two lots of grocery shopping  nightmare!

MH - now I'm definitely picturing Brunhilde throwing loaves into the air!  ;D ;D How lovely to see the oyster catchers and the lovely views in the morning and evening.

Annette, hope you got your car back okay today, you'd think the workmen could have warned your brother in law that he should leave his car out of the drive if he wanted to use it again.
I agree about the wedding too, they'll be the first to complain if they all get the virus.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ladies. I am glad you like my descriptions..... you have reminded me of something from the 1980s.
Walking my younger son to primary school one Winter's morning, I was trying to get him to appreciate the beauty of the frost glistening in the sunlight on the grass and trees etc.
Suddenly he wailed "Oh no, teacher will make us write a poem today."
I needed to know more about that statement, so I asked a few questions, and was told "You're waxing lyrical about the frost.
Every time you wax lyrical, teacher makes us write a poem!"
 :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 22:08 GMT (UK) »
With phrases like that to hand it sounds like he was already halfway to becoming a poet!

I'm sure that now you're going to tell me he does the least poetic job in the world!  :D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Carpentry. Highly creative but not a wordsmith.   :)