Author Topic: Annie Curme SHEPHERD nee KEET.  (Read 7666 times)

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Curme SHEPHERD nee KEET.
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 31 October 20 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that information Lu.

However as I had already gathered these details I will put them up anyway....

1872/18653   Iwerson   Gertrude Keet   Annie Curms   Peter
Death of Gertrude Keet [1873]…..

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZH18730116.2.7?items_per_page=10&page=4&phrase=2&query=keet&snippet=true&type=ARTICLE

1867/12222   Iwersen   Ellen Ingeborg   Annie Curme   Peter   -   

1871/18410   Iwersen   Edna Alexandra   Annie   Peter   -   

1874/24162   Iwersen   Elizabeth   Annie Curme   Peter   -   

1869/16330   Iwerson   Priscille Cathrina   Annie Cerin   Peter

Marriages:

1898/1192   Elizabeth   Iwersen   Samuel Allardyce   Calder   

1900/2269   Priscilla Katrina   Iwersen   Thomas   Napier   
Deaths:

1946/27614   Napier   Priscilla Cathrina   77Y

1948/29751   Calder   Elizabeth   75Y

Marriage of Elizabeth Iwerson [1898]……

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/WAIGUS18980702.2.10?end_date=31-12-1898&items_per_page=10&query=elizabeth+iwerson&snippet=true&start_date=01-01-1898

Marriage of Priscilla Iwersen [1900]…..

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/WAIGUS19001020.2.29?end_date=31-12-1900&items_per_page=10&query=+iwersen&snippet=true&start_date=01-01-1900

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 31 October 20 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Lu.

Re your  reply #23,  Mr “B” = Mr BATKIN, Annie’s brother in law.

Below a continuation of the quote in that thread. At that time Mr BATKIN, was felling bush, like his neighbours, in an endeavour to establish pastures of English grasses. Note Messes B., will probably be POTTS, or RONALDS, from the published passenger lists. B, P & R can be similar from a hand writing perspective. Must say I'm a little surprised that Annie's account of the passengers she spent 100 [?] days with, don't necessarily marry up that well. Another reason I struggled to identify the Simlah, as the vessel they travelled on.

I have my doubts that the Messrs POTTS or Messrs RONALDS,  were candidates for being the three cadets - the "Messrs B" mentioned several times by the author (Annie).    The RONALDS brothers were rather "well to do" - Francis (Frank) becoming a Bank manager  and the other two (or at least James) returned to England after purchasing their parcels of land.     Of the POTTS I can find little, but you might like to explore that angle further.

My guess > and they weren't exactly on the same ship  -  would probably be the BELL brothers  who arrived in New Plymouth on the ship "Cresswell"  around the end of August 1853.
This was just a matter of weeks after Annie herself along with baby, had arrived in Taranaki.  (And she talks about going with her sister to watch the boats coming into the roadstead ... etc). 
The "Simlah" had first gone to Auckland - arrived 10th June 1853.   By the time it discharged its cargo and set sail for New Plymouth it was already early August.   Annie's husband then joined her and they travelled back to Auckland.
It appears that Annie really only spent about seven or eight weeks in Taranaki ???

Back later - I've got a rugby game to watch.

~  Lu

Edit - correction to spelling.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 31 October 20 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Passengers per "Simlah" - 1853  :

Incidentally there are at least three passenger "lists"(or mentions of the passengers)  in the newspapers - and a number of stray names which don't stack up against each list.   ???  ;D

I'll insert the dates and newspapers here shortly, just for reference.

Added :
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/DSC18530712.2.3

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZ18530706.2.3

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZ18530611.2.3

~   Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 31 October 20 08:20 GMT (UK) »
I also came across Annie and babe arriving in Taranaki ( - from memory, only the SHEPHERD's return to Auckland in October 1853 had been found so far. )  ???

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/TH18530810.2.3

"Taranaki Herald"  .... Arrived 6 August 1853 -  Simlah ...   
   Passengers:  Mrs SHEPHERD and child, Mr SALISBURY :

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 31 October 20 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Alan

... just can't find it at present, but think you asked earlier about  "Mr C. B. " (who had meet Annie on arrival at New Plymouth - a stand-in for her brother-in-law who had been waylaid).

"Mr C.B. " I'd earlier discovered was one Charles BROWN who had worked in a variety of areas with Charles T. BATKIN.     

Charles BROWN eventually became the Superintendent of the Province of Taranaki ... and he appointed Charles T. BATKIN to the role of "Clerk to the Superintendent and Executive Council of Taranakl" in 1857.

~  Lu

Note:   Was able through another source to confirm Charles BROWN had also arrived in the Colony with the BATKINs.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 31 October 20 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

A link to something very interesting just found. Why did I not find it three days ago ?

https://kura.aucklandlibraries.govt.nz/digital/collection/akldpeople/id/306956

Saved you ladies some hard work.  Nice to be filling out Annie's story though, with supporting evidence.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 31 October 20 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan

.... can't believe I didn't find that info earlier in my searching, either.   ;D ;D

Never mind ... it sure was an interesting "story" ... and kept our brains ticking over.

Perhaps we should all be considering leaving similar tales for our kids / grandkids ??
[Nah, they need to do the "hard graft" ... the thrill of the chase is far more rewarding !!! ]   :D :)

~  Lu

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 31 October 20 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lu and Minniehaha.

I was not at the computer checking the thread yesterday during the day, so missed your finding of THE THREE SISTERS. I just jumped on line when I discovered about the journal account.

Interesting that the title of the story and per chance the boat Annie and James returned to Auckland on was named THREE SISTERS.  Simlah arrived in roadstead off New Plymouth on August 10th 1853, and the SHEPERD'S set sail for their Auckland return on October 17th 1853.

I'm not related [as far as I know] to the people being discussed here. Or at least in that time period of historic records. My interest is in the pioneers, more so than the genealogy of the living. Until October 27th, I had no idea who the author of the series was. BUT it's been an interesting voyage of discovery since then. It's a talented crew contributing to this board.

Michael Hammerson [user name] and I [Fresh Fields] were/are interested in the account because it describes the land and those living on it, in the years leading up to the Charles MYERS [x2] joining the military campaigns.

Interesting about THE PLOUGH AND THE PAKEHA, I'll have to find my copy. Believe I have one somewhere, gifted from the publisher. I started researching my family pioneer's in the 1970's so have read [and forgotten] a lot of the historic works, written by the Cambridge historians. Erris PARKER included, who's research is the foundation of the Cambridge Museum.

While we are rediscovering research done previously, the advance of material and it's scope by Papers Past, will have made more press clippings available. I've catalogued quite a number now. Should anyone care to contact me.

Quite a number of years ago, per chance, I came upon a large series by THE WARRIGAL, giving a detailed account of the Waikato and Bay of Plenty, in the late 1880's which I consider significant, but it is still hidden away in the WEEKEND PRESS in Christchurch because it is not digitised, in it's original form, and therefore is not quoted by historians covering the area of it's descriptive account.

What I learned from from trying to dig out copies of all the published chapters of the series, I used to locate GRANDMAMA'S tale.

Alan.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 02 November 20 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello again - Lu

Re reply #47; I will attach my spread sheet list generated from the main press clippings that I have collected. It's pretty consistant except for the 'POTT'S'.

Driving to Waiuku, it hit me that while I was concentrating on the comparison between Annie's account of her fellow SIMLAH passengers, and that of the signed testimonial, it was published at the end [Auckland] of the first leg of the voygage, and that the destination was New Plymouth, where the Taranaki Herald only named Mrs SHEPHERD & child, and Mr SALISBURY, but there were probably others sharing the two cabins.

Other press clippings noted that the Rev., David BRUCE arrived, and did not waste time taking up his duties.

Re the Cresswell, that ship went first to New Plymouth, and a signed testimonial was published by the Taranaki Herald, on August 31st, as you state.

Regards,

Alan.

PS. I see yesterday I said the SIMLAH arrived at New Plymouth on August 10th but now note the date stated in the Shipping Inteligence report, was August 6th. So a few more days before the publishing date.