Author Topic: Yet another DNA query......;)  (Read 285 times)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Yet another DNA query......;)
« on: Wednesday 28 October 20 15:05 GMT (UK) »
I have been spending my half term trying to pin down some of my husband's DNA matches (he has an unknown great grandfather who he would love to identify).

I went to one of his largest DNA matches - 102cM across 4 segments - and created a tree for that person up to gt gt gt grandparents but with no luck.  Next step was to cross reference a small shared match (49cM across 6 segments) and voila!  my husband and the smaller match have shared gt gt grandparents - George and Mary.

Using this to help pin down the branch of the larger DNA match, I've gone back down the line working through all the children and grandchildren of the shared George and Mary but still can't find the elusive tie in.

Is it possible that the larger connection could actually be further back but a large portion of DNA inherited due to cousins marrying?  Or is it more likely to be illegitmacy/extra marital affairs resulting in a close DNA match?

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another DNA query......;)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Dont forget remarriages too
Suggests they may share one great grandparent not two

See if any of the greatgrandparents children are from.a previous marriage

Illegitimacy is the next most probable reason

Not come across how cousin mix amounts come out yetn yet

Atbthis level you need a lot of luck and perserveranceb

Read other posts on this forum and find out how others are goingnp aboit solving similar mysteries ...ive just had a breakthrough
Which involved luck and hunches as well as the science
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson