Author Topic: Full Baptism  (Read 575 times)

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Full Baptism
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 October 20 11:10 GMT (UK) »
I think you can only be baptised once.
My nephew because of problems immediately following his birth was baptised at the hospital  (1980.)
He recovered and when his parents enquired at their local Methodist Chapel  few months later about him being baptised in the Chapel they were told it couldn't be done as he's already been baptised.

Some years ago a friend had a baby who was very distressed immediately after birth and the the Sister gave the baby a name and baptised him.  The mother being under anaesthetic at the time.  Sadly the baby only live a few minutes.

Offline stewpot72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 October 20 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Just to add a little more confusion, if that isn't too strong a word, the page in the parish register, preceding the one where John Maycock's record is, has these records -

John Heritage ..."Received his baptism December 8th 1799"

Susannah? Reading, "baptised October 1799 .... Received December 25".
And
Will Warmant "Received his full baptism 25th March 1798"

Regarding the suggestion that a first baptism may have been if the child was sickly, I can't see a corresponding burial record so this may not have been the case here.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 October 20 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering - might the church at Whitnash be termed "High Church", which accounts for the two entries?  It's not something I have seen to be so prevalent in other baptism registers.  Yes, the odd private baptism following by "received into church", but it is prolifically entered in the Whitnash records.  :-\

I personally don't know much about baptisms.  As far as I know I was not baptised.  Nor confirmed, nor married in a church, and neither did I have our daughter baptised, so I am a bit of a "numpty" in this instance.  :-[
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY