Author Topic: Hendersons of Bristol: Driving me crazy  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hendersons of Bristol: Driving me crazy
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 01 November 20 13:43 GMT (UK) »
? Where does James NEWTON fit in and what line are you following.

Ancestry does have the Bristol Wills 1572-1792 (just indexed) and The Great Orphan Books 1379-1674

WILLS

LUDLOW Joseph - 1750
LUDLOW Abraham - 1753
LUDLOW Stephen - 1753
LUDLOW William - 1764

NEWTON James 1599
NEWTON Joan - 1604
NEWTON Robert - 1706
NEWTON James - 1747
NEWTON William - 1767
NEWTON Joh - 1772
NEWTON Thomas - 1785

LUDLOW Joseph - 1750
LUDLOW Abraham - 1753
LUDLOW Stephen - 1753
LUDLOW William - 1764

SHORT Abraham- 1681
SHORT John - 1719
SHORT Walton - 1728
SHORT Richard - 1743
SHORT Hester - 1744
SHORT Samuel - 1745
SHORT Joseph - 1746
SHORT Abraham - 1752
SHORT Samuel - 1773
SHORT Susannah - 1773
SHORT Thomas - 1779
SHORT John - 1785

There used to be and Index on line with the profession listed.

Probably intermarrying just like the farmers/land owners etc.

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 01 November 20 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Just added the will summaries for Anthony and Samuel ...
www.mawer.clara.net/willsH.html#henderson1
... if there are any glaring errors, please let me know.

Question ... the will of Anthony does not give his occupation. Your latest says he was a jeweller, however Sun Fire Office says the sugarhouse 1781 was in the partnership of A&S Henderson. I'm therefore assuming these were the brothers, with Samuel the refiner, Anthony the business partner ... or is there something I don't know ?

Added ... and we also have Samuel junior apprentice to Anthony Henderson S/R 1783 (Bristol Burgesses)
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 01 November 20 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Well done Sugarbakers transcribing the Wills, not an easy tasks with the early forms of writing/grammar etc.

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 02 November 20 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for the long silence yesterday - I was frantically scribbling notes and downloading more wills.

Sugarbakers, firstly, you deserve a medal for transcribing those wills so wonderfully well! By the time I was two pages in to Samuel's I was suffering from severe eyestrain and an incipient headache. Secondly, you didn't miss anything, it's just that early yesterday morning I inadvertently stumbled on a missing piece of the jigsaw puzzle while looking through the NA catalogue:
Counterpart Lease for 99 Years or 3 lives
Deeds: Baldwin Street. Feoffees: Sarah Henderson, widow of Anthony Henderson, jeweller and daughter of Thomas Terret, cornfactor, deceased
After you asked the question, it took me a while to figure out just how I'd come to the conclusion that Samuel's brother and Anthony the jeweller were the same man, but then I went back through my notes and there the clue was. It seems Bristol merchants generally tended to wear several business hats, as it were. I had also thought that Samuel the sugar baker and Samuel the linen draper were two different men, but now I strongly suspect that the same man was both - Sam's earlier partner in the sugar refining business, Samuel Peach, was also a linen draper and a partner in a bank.

Capetown, it's not surprising you're confused. The Sarah Goddard nee Henderson mentioned in Anthony and Samuel's wills is the grandmother of James Thomas Goddard who was my 4 times great-grandma Hannah Newton's second husband. James Newton was her first. Although there was no issue of the second marriage (Hannah was in her fifties by then), I wanted to know more about J.T.G. because he was in a different league to James Newton on several levels. The latter was a working-class cork cutter while J.T.G. was a highly skilled maker of telescopes and camera lens, and came from a fairly prosperous merchant background. Having seen the auction notice for the contents of the Nelson Street house with its mention of telescope and microscope, I think I know where J.T.G.'s interest in opticals came from. Would you mind having a peek at Thomas Short's 1779 will for me? It isn't available on the NA website unfortunately, but it may shed a great deal more light on Samuel H. and Letitia Short's side of the family.

Christopher Ludlow was corn inspector for the city of Bristol for many years and a very lucrative post it probably was, too. I came across this snippet from the Bristol Charities Report just now which links in the Beddome name:
"Rachel Beddome's Gift
'...Mrs Rachel Beddome left to the congregation of Dissenters, meeting in the Pithay, 100l towards a hose for the minister to dwell in, which 100l is at present in the hands of William Ludlow, senior. The interest hath been at four percent, and paid to the Rev. Mr Tommas.'
   N.B. - This 100l was paid into the hands of Mr Christopher Ludlow, by the executors of Mr William Ludlow, 13th January, 1766, but has since been paid by him, with the consent of the Rev. Mr Beddome, towards the purchase of the parsonage house in Cumberland-street, which cost 330l."

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 02 November 20 11:20 GMT (UK) »
By the way, Sugarbaker, Samuel Blackwell, who is also on your website, is related to my Brown[e]s by marriage. Henry Browne's sister Hannah married watch and clock maker Henry Lane, and their daughter Hannah went on to marry Sam Blackwell in 1815. Henry Browne's father Arthur is a brother of the Rev. John William Browne and uncle of Samuel John Browne. They settled in Ohio, where the Blackwell family joined them just before Sam Blackwell's death. Francis Short corresponded with Samuel after they emigrated re the Nelson Street premises and I think was acting as his legal advisor. Small world, isn't it?

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 02 November 20 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, yes, got it now. Do one job, invest in another, and another !!

We have Henderson & Peach at St John's Bridge sugarhouse from about 1761 to 1769, then Henderson(s) from early 1770s at Hallier's Lane / Nelson St.
Can't find Peach, although there's a Samuel will 1769 and a John will 1776, but neither mention sugar or Henderson.

A lot of info re: Blackwell from US, though it seems some of the links to that info have gone down. There was a letter describing them standing on Bristol Bridge watching their sugarhouse in flames ... then they emigrated.

The sugar business is a small world ... throughout there has been much intermarrying of the refining families ... it kept the money close, and in the early years it kept the "secrets of refining" even closer.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 02 November 20 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Bristol Wills (unless they are Canterbury Wills) - aren't on Ancestry.

However, his burial information is

England & Wales Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial Regier

May 18th 1779

Mr Thomas SHORT Interd 8 yards 1 foot from the North Wall, 2 yards 1 foot from the East Wall to the foot of the grave head and foot  stones at (or on) the grave.

---

Here's another Thomas SHORT Burial (again Non-conformist)

Unitarian, Lewins Mead - 27 Dec 1788

Thos SHORT aged 82 -
Place of Interment : With his Wife, 34 and a half feet from North Wall,  10th S? Row

---

The Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills on Ancestry for SHORT in Bristol are:-

Gualteri (Walter) SHORT - 29 Jan 1710

John SHORT - 28 August 1815

Thomas SHORT - 9 Aug 1849

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 02 November 20 14:06 GMT (UK) »
SB: the Peach family tree is fairly complicated (though I haven't explored it in any great detail) and they are linked with most of Bristol's movers and shakers, either by marriage or business partnerships, or both, e.g. Henry Cruger and the Elton family. Either Samuel Peach senior or Samuel Peach junior had an estate at Tockington, outside Bristol. I don't know which Peach was Samuel Henderson's partner, but it would be interesting to follow that up.

CT: It's a shame the will isn't available on Ancestry, but I might be able to come at some info on the Shorts another way if I dig long enough. The second Thomas Short (bur. 1788) is my man, and I only happen to know that because by sheer chance, his wife Dorcas died about two weeks or so beforehand and was accidentally put in the wrong grave. There's a note to that effect on her burial record, and the position of the correct grave was given. A "Mrs Henderson" was subsequently buried in with the couple, and now that I have a clearer picture of the Henderson tree, I will rummage through my notes and see if I can work out from the date of the burial which Mrs Henderson it was. Samuel H's wife (Sarah Wall) had obviously died some time before he wrote his will, so perhaps it's her. Sarah (Terrett) Henderson lived until 1831 and was 92 when she died.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 02 November 20 14:32 GMT (UK) »
I don't subscribe to British Newspapers on line (although I think you can have 3 free 'goes') - so can only get a brief jumbled article.

This is Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette - Thursday 8 May 1766

mentions, Scurvy, Rbturatism ....  and a sentence.... I Sepprena SHORT, Wife of Thomas SHORT. at Bedminfter, near Brifiol.  do altefi, that I was terri-bly offiiled Twleve Months ...... and so on.

England, Select Deaths and Burials

Seperina SHORT, burial date: 22 June 1767, Bedminster, Bristol.

Mary Sephrenia SHORT, dau of Thomas & Sephrenia, christened 17 June 1767 -