Author Topic: Hendersons of Bristol: Driving me crazy  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hendersons of Bristol: Driving me crazy
« Reply #27 on: Monday 02 November 20 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Back again to the National Archives

1766: Bristol Archives

Ancient lease: Corporation of Bristol to Samuel PEACH and Samuel HENDERSON Property - Lewin's Mead  (Bartholomew's land)

etc etc

Bristol's Sugar Trade and Refining Industry - bris.ac.uk

Lewin's Mead refinery and Whitson Court used the Frome.  Proximity to.... Leigh, Samuel PEACH of Tockingham and Richard HENDERSON who had an estate at..

(haven't read the book yet, which is on line)

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 02 November 20 15:14 GMT (UK) »
I do have access via FindMyPast so will give it a go, but the search process can sometimes be a hit and miss and for some reason it doesn't seem to yield many Bristol and Bath related news items pre-1780, hence me getting stuck with the Hendersons. Usually it's a brilliant source of info.

There are several leases and other legal documents on which Samuel Peach and Samuel Henderson feature so it should be possible to check which of the two Samuel Peaches died first and work out which one was S.H's sugar refiner partner. I'm making more work for you, Sugarbakers!!  ;)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 02 November 20 15:22 GMT (UK) »
The book I referred to, states - Samuel PEACH of Tockington and Richard HENDERSON who had an esate at Hanham.

www.discoveringbristol.org.uk

Tockington Court in Tockington, north of Bristol, ...... was purchased by the....  it was sold in the 1780s. to Samuel PEACH a banker and slave-ship owner.  etc.

' goes onto say, Peach was the father-in-law of Henry CRUGER, Member of Parliamnet for Bristol in the 1770s and 1780s'

---

Ancestry

Ellin PEACH, married Henry CRUGER - 14 November 1765

St Augustine-the-Less, Bristol.

Public Members Tree on Ancestry (with a portrait of Henry)

Samuel PEACH died 1785 according to this tree. His Will is on Ancestry)

His Burial is at Olveston, St Mary (on Ancestry)

20 May 1785 - Samuel PEACH Esq.

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 02 November 20 15:38 GMT (UK) »
I have a book, Bristol Lists: Municipal and Miscellaneous, that has couple items:

Anthony Henderson, sheriff 1783-84, died January 31, 1793

Samuel Henderson, sheriff 1803-4, president of Anchor 1806, died February 21, 1821

Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 02 November 20 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Here's a site I recommend, The Bristol & Gloucestershire Archaeological Society. You can search their past publications.

https://www.bgas.org.uk/code/genindex.php?query=%22samuel+henderson%22

There's Anthony Henderson, jeweller and goldsmith, apprentice of Nathaniel Nangle, jeweller and goldsmith, in 1748, son of Samuel Henderson of All Saints, Derbyshire, linen draper

Pontifex - Bucks

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 02 November 20 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Vance, you've just succeeded in pushing the Hendersons back one more generation, which is wonderful, and also answered the question of where in England this particular lot originate from, something that I've been struggling to establish.

CT: the Richard Henderson at Hanham was born in Ireland (c.1717) from what I've gleaned of him. He may actually be related to the Ulster-Scot Quaker James Henderson who married Rachel Dixon in Bristol in 1738, though. His only son John was born in Limerick. If I remember my notes correctly, he settled at Hanham some time in the 1760s where he ran a boarding school, then later on a lunatic asylum. After his son's early death he moved the asylum to new premises at Cleeve/Cleve Hill.

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 02 November 20 18:10 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if Derbyshire All Saints is a mistake. There are several All Saints parishes in Derbyshire. Maybe it should be Derby All Saints, which has been Derby Cathedral since 1927.
Pontifex - Bucks

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 02 November 20 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Vance, I've made a note of that as it's not something I would have known. The Bristol clock/watch/goldsmith, etc, book had quite a few other entries of interest to me, besides Anthony's. I was also able to work out how many jeweller's apprentices Anthony Henderson had: there was quite a gap between his first one in 1759 and the second in 1763, but he had at least five between 1771 and 1783.

Sugarbakers, Thomas Terrett Taylor, a relative of Anthony's wife (she mentions him in her will, and I think he's her cousin's child?) was involved with the British Sugar Refinery Co., Ltd, circa 1863, on the financing side, I think, as he was a goldsmith. Not sure if this is useful/relevant to you?

Capetown, I didn't even manage to get a sniff of Sepprena/Sephrina Short, or any other Shorts prior to 1800, for that matter, so you did way better than me!

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Can I be awfully cheeky and ask if any of you have access to a fuller version of Anthony Henderson's marriage to Sarah Terrett? All I have is a transcription of the Boyds entry which simply gives the names of the couple and the year of marriage (1772), plus a note I made beside it saying "by licence."