Author Topic: Domenico Sabini - Discovering Italian ancestors via France  (Read 617 times)

Offline member1799

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Domenico Sabini - Discovering Italian ancestors via France
« on: Friday 30 October 20 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have been tracing my family history in the UK and my Great Grandfather, Baptista Sabini was born to a Domenico Sabini and Maria who immigrated from Borgotaro / Borgo val di Taro, Italy, to Paris, France and finally London, UK in the latter 19th Century with at least two Sabini brothers (Andrew and Ottavio Sabini... and possibly also a Joseph Sabini).

I am trying to find records and information about Domenico Sabini and Maria prior to arriving in London but have found it much harder than finding UK records. I would really appreciate help in finding records for them (birth, marriage, travel), or indeed any evidence of their time on the continent (work, residences etc) - or advice where I could search for this information.

Domenico Sabini died in 1920 in London, but his birth is listed as Borgotaro Italy, with varying dates from 1852, 1853 through to 1857 in UK records - this is the key dates I have for him so far.

His wife Maria has a maiden surname which is spelled very differently across their childrens' birth/baptism records including; Camponimasi, Campomenosi, Campomenoso - so I am not sure if any of these are correct or hint at a known Italian surname. I believe she died in about 1928 in London. Her date of birth has been listed variously from 1863 (1891 census) to 1855 (1911 census).  She is listed as Italian and from Borgotaro on most documents. But I do not know if she met and married Domenico Sabini in Italy or France.

They were definitely in France in 1883 as this is when their first child Auguste/Augusto Sabini was born (in a place called Boulogne-Billancourt), and they had arrived in London by 1887 as this is when their daughter Catherine/Catterina was born in Holborn. However, I do not know anything about them prior to them living in the UK and would like to discovery more.

Thanks

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
Re: Domenico Sabini - Discovering Italian ancestors via France
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 October 20 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Boulogne-Billancourt belongs to the Hauts-de-Seine Departement, so you should begin your researches in France at the Archives Départementales Hauts-de-Seine. They have birth, marriage, death records and also census lists (Recensements de la population) online.

http://archives.hauts-de-seine.fr/archives/aide-a-la-recherche/rechercher-par-thematiques/genealogie/dautres-sources-genealogiques/archives-en-ligne/

Naissances (births) 1881, page 39/40, 02.06.1881, Sabini Marie, d. of Joseph Sabini, age 27, and Dominique Molinari, age 21. Witnesses Joseph Spagnolli and Giacomo / Jacques Oppici.

Naissances (births) 1883, page 12, 20.02.1883, Sabini Antoine Vincent, son of Joseph Sabini, age 29, and Dominique Molinari, age 23. One of the witnesses was Dominique Sabini, age 31.

Naissances (births) 1883, page 21, 20.03.1883, Sabini Antoine, son of Dominique Sabini, age 31, and Maria Canpominusi, age 22. Witnesses Giacomo / Jacques Oppici and Joseph Caretta.

For the parents and also all witnesses are mentionned age, profession and address.

I didn't find any Sabini marriage in Boulogne-Billancourt in the years 1880, 1881, 1882 and 1883.
Unfortunately there is no census online of Boulogne-Billancourt for the years 1881 and 1886.

I also found the surname Campominosi in Nogent-sur-Marne, Departement Val de Marne.
Nogent-sur-Marne, Registres d'actes. Naissances 1887-1889, page 87, 11.05.1888

http://archives.valdemarne.fr/e/etartcivil?from=2750&size=25

Regards

Svenja

Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 October 20 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Borgo Val di Taro (Borgotaro), belongs to the Province Parma, Emilia-Romagna. This town is situated 57 Kilometer southwest of Parma und near the border to the Province Massa-Carrara.

As the Sabini-brothers were born in the 1850ies it is difficult if not impossible to find their baptism records online.
As far as I know the Antenati-Website only puts records of the civil registry offices online, but not parish records.
In Italy records of the civil registry offices started in the 1860ies or the 1870ies (not in every place at the same time).
On familysearch I also didn't find parish records for the Sabini-brothers in Borgo Val di Taro (Borgotaro).

Edit:
I just looked at the familysearch Catalog and there are some parish records of Borgo Val di Taro (Borgotaro).

Page 210: 06.01.1848 (31.12.1847), Sabini Baptista, father Augustino, mother Catherina Marianni

Page 236: 19.08.1849, Sabini Joannes Baptista, father Jacobo, mother Catharina Malaspina

Page 238: 09.10.1849, Sabini Baptista, father Augustino, mother Catherina Marianni

Page 259: 06.10.1850, Sabini Octavius, father Vincentio, mother Anna Maria Fenaroli

Page 281: 18.01.1852, Sabini Domenicus Ludovicus, father Vincentio, mother Anna Maria Fenaroli

Page 284: 22.03.1852, Sabini Domenicus, father Augustino, mother Catherina Marianni

Page 312: 16.03.1854, Sabini Joseph, father Vincentio, mother Anna Maria Fenaroli

By the way there are also some other surnames (Gasparini, Spagnoli, Molinari, Bracchi, Oppici) in Borgo Val di Taro which I saw in Boulogne-Billancourt and/or Nogent-sur-Marne.

Regards
Svenja

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 October 20 17:07 GMT (UK) »
scottie press - little italy - if you see any surnames connected - these are the families that came to liverpool
Albertini
Baccino
Bartolomei
Bianki (sic)
Boggiano
Bonneretti/Boner
Bonna/Boni/Bonne
Bordessa
Capaldi
Cappella
Chiape
Cogliolo
Colletta
D'Annunzio
Edro
Fasciole
Fascioni
Ferri
Franchetti
Frediani
Fusco
Gianelli
Conelli
Granelli/Grannell
Guzzoni
Iello
Imundi
Innelli
Mancini
Marengo
Minchelli
Miolla
Minghella
Moretta
Muscatelli
Pacelli
Podesta
Riccio
Riozzi
Rocca
Russiano
Sabatini
Santangelli
Sartorri (sic)
Silvano
Sinagoea
Tambourini
Tremaraco
Valerio
Varcelli
Ventre/Ventro
Vermiglio
Volante
if you google scottiepress little italy you will se a lot of info on Italian families that came to Liverpool - the busiest seaport in the world at the time
ADDED
https://anglo-italianfhs.org.uk/articles/books/italiansinliverpool.php
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 October 20 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

On the familysearch Catalog there are also some marriage records of Borgo Val di Taro (Borgotaro).

Page 678: 17.11.1870
Sabini Octavius, father Jacobo, mother Bartholomea Malaspina
Becarelli Maria Magdalena, father Dominicus, mother Beltrami Antonia

Page 729: 1878
Sabini Baptista, father Augustino, mother Catherina Marianni
Dellapina Maria, father Vincentio, mother Brugnoli Joanna

Sabini Octavius, father Vincentio, mother Anna Maria Fenaroli
Ferrari Francisca, father Aloyisius, mother Antonia Parodi

Page 741/742: 1880
Sabini Joseph, father Vincentio, mother Anna Maria Fenaroli
and Molinari Dominica, father Antonio, mother Maria Della P...

I didn't find the marriage of Dominique/Dominicus Sabini and Maria Campominusi/Campominosi.
I didn't see the surname Campominusi/Campominosi or similar in Borgo Val di Taro (Borgotaro).
So maybe Maria came from another place and this marriage took place there.

Regards
Svenja

Offline member1799

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 October 20 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

On the familysearch Catalog there are also some marriage records of Borgo Val di Taro (Borgotaro).

Page 678: 17.11.1870
Sabini Octavius, father Jacobo, mother Bartholomea Malaspina
Becarelli Maria Magdalena, father Dominicus, mother Beltrami Antonia

Sabini Baptista, father Augustino, mother Catherina Marianni
Dellapina Maria, father Vincentio, mother Brugnoli Joanna

Sabini Octavius, father Vincentio, mother Anna Maria Fenaroli
Ferrari Francisca, father Aloyisius, mother Antonia Parodi

Page 741/742: 1880
Sabini Joseph, father Vincentio, mother Anna Maria Fenaroli
and Molinari Dominica, father Antonio, mother Maria Della P...

I didn't find the marriage of Dominique/Dominicus Sabini and Maria Campominusi/Campominosi.
I didn't see the surname Campominusi/Campominosi or similar in Borgo Val di Taro (Borgotaro).
So maybe Maria came from another place and this marriage took place there.

Regards
Svenja

Hi,

Thank you for sharing those findings. That's immensely helpful in clarifying Domenicos birth date, along with finding his parentage and extended family details which I can explore further.

His marriage, along with his wife Maria have proved the hardest to discover. My grandmother believed Maria was from an Italian family residing in Marseilles (slightly senile at this point in her life though),  however there's never been evidence of this and census documents state Borgotaro.

Thanks for your help!