Author Topic: DIARY > SATURDAY 31st October.  (Read 1359 times)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DIARY > SATURDAY 31st October.
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 01 November 20 17:12 GMT (UK) »
I can't believe that we are governed by such "scare-mongers" - isn't it hard enough that we will have lockdown for a month without hinting that it could be even longer - before it even starts!  :-X

Glad to say that I won't be searching for toilet rolls  ;D
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 01 November 20 17:16 GMT (UK) »
What IS tge matter with these people? I am completely dumbfounded with these #%+&#@ people....
By the time I have my c n c ( Monday 9th) perhaps the baskets will be empty... the thought if going to my greengrocers doesn’t bear thinking about... good job forward planning is done in this household and I’m sure in all those who post on here because we are the sensible people...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 01 November 20 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Well ,what an exciting morning ,up to my waist in the sink unit .
Everything back more or less the same , but tidier .
Why can’t I throw anything away, about four sorts of oven cleaner ,
Millions of tins of polish,mahogany,oak,beeswax.
Last week I was a slipper fetishist this week a polish fetishist!Believe it or not one tin is from when we first lived in Belgium and a new parquet floor to be worshipped. It is beeswax.Just a bit left now but my word what a shine .It was a very very very big tin!
It is only 55 years old and still works well ,as long as you use the minimum amount .No parquet now but some oak furniture that likes it.
I had no electric polisher ,just a weighted three circular brush   .
Three bedrooms,a huge living room and very long hall and corridor to polish .
It came up really well if one of the boys sat on the brush whilst I went over the floors .They were almost eight and six.It was fun for them.
Kept my waist slim !
Well lamb keg steak in mint sauce ,new potatoes and green beans and peas.
Will have yoghurt later .

Has anyone seen the new Mn Ms advert it is really laugh out loud stuff .

Well no trick or treaters last night , must have been all the barking and growling I was practising, kept them away.

Just watching the Catherine Cookson “The Tide of Life”.
I remember reading it years ago.
Wolf Hall is on tonight Channel 20  9-20.

Very busy sorting pens that work,from those that don’t .
Honestly it is like a stationers’ sooo also a pen fetishist.
That is three !
Such a rainy windy day , but forecast for milder weather on Radio.
Some nice dry bright weather would be a tonic ,and I would go for a walk.
Looked at dogs with Blue Cross ,some lovely ones but their descriptions do make me think twice ,poor things .must have been poorly treated,imagine a tiny Chihuahua,so fearful it cannot be touched.
Hope you have all had a good day, we and everyone else have a long haul ahead .
At least we know  there are kind eyes reading our posts  ( even when  mine are rubbish )and there are contacts when we feel alone .
It is a lot that!
Well, I need a cuppa,so for now cheerio.
Viktoria.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 01 November 20 18:02 GMT (UK) »
I can't believe that we are governed by such "scare-mongers" - isn't it hard enough that we will have lockdown for a month without hinting that it could be even longer - before it even starts!  :-X

Glad to say that I won't be searching for toilet rolls  ;D
Well , too late now but many feel the initial lockdown was too late and too short ,but  there is hope that this lockdown will mean people will be a bit more sensible over Christmas.
I doubt it personally ,too selfish by far many people .
But the first money doled out will have been wasted if people are not sensible
now.
Those family owned firms with employees they know personally, understand their individual difficulties and like and respect them through daily contact,
I would not like to be in their shoes .
To be truthful I think some people need to be scared a  great  deal more !
I wonder why they resist the figures , they are shocking.
Let’s hope this lockdown works ,but I fear it is not enough, too little too late.Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 01 November 20 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Once again Viktoria you have me smiling on a day when I didn’t feel like it, so thank you for that....
I bet you were singing when you and your boys were gliding along your floors in Belgium! My daughter did her middle university year in Belgium a town called Turnout right up near the Dutch border and we had a good few visits out there enjoying the coffee Culture there ... she was working at Jansens... she had a great year.... sorry I digress...

You are right too about this lockdown now probably not being sufficient... let’s keep fingers crossed eh.🤞🤞
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 01 November 20 19:12 GMT (UK) »
I read today there were queues for card factory shop and folk saying it was for their Christmas cards!
North East of England

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 01 November 20 20:33 GMT (UK) »
I bought my Christmas cards last January,  all I need  is Christmas stamps  not in  P O yet, I think I am going to resort to giving cash for presents this year,  did make a few nice peg bags recently, already bought the pegs so that is another 2 gifts sorted

The buffer, my mother was a church caretaker and had to buff a very long aisle,  is absolutely shone a credit to her,  I think it must have been a lump of lead covered in soft material, no wonder she was so slim

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 02 November 20 12:33 GMT (UK) »

Looked at dogs with Blue Cross ,some lovely ones but their descriptions do make me think twice ,poor things .must have been poorly treated,imagine a tiny Chihuahua,so fearful it cannot be touched.

Viktoria.

Victoria, have you thought about a retired greyhound? They usually go to specific greyhound rescues rather than the usual ones. Obviously they don't like small furries but apart from that they are perfect I understand. We looked after one for a few weeks, she was the most laid back dog we have ever known - including all our many labs! She never got up before about 10am - the others would be downstairs panting for breakfast, she would be upside down in her basket completely unbothered. They don't need masses of exercise but obviously a nice walk. They are very loving and obviously well trained (although on Jessie's first day she managed to snaffle several sandwiches off the plate on the dining room table - we'd never had one tall enough to do that before  ;D ) We all cried when we had to hand her back to her proper home.

Just a thought

Pat

King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 02 November 20 15:37 GMT (UK) »
A friend of mine has a greyhound, she got her from the greyhound rescue centre. She'd been a racing dog and had been injured. As you say Pat, they're inherently lazy, if I went to my friend's house (in normal times!) the dog was often asleep and if awake was horizontal! She does need walks but as they're sprinters and not marathon runners, the amount of exercise is not as much as you might expect. When my friend first got her it was recommended that she had a cage for the dog - not as bad as it sounds, it was indoors with the front open and blankets inside, the dog liked going in there sometimes, apparently it gives them a feeling of security. She's a lovely dog, my friend loves her to bits.  :)
Oh, and as for the snaffling food, this particular naughty girl almost had a large pan of pasta sauce that was on my hob (it was cold), luckily my friend stopped her before it was brought to the floor!  :D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales