Author Topic: Diary > Monday 2nd November  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Monday 2nd November
« on: Tuesday 03 November 20 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Had a disturbed night, woke at 2am thinking I'd heard a noise, then at 3am by next door's dog barking. He doesn't usually do that during the night so I got up and looked out of the windows, couldn't see anything. Maybe he was dreaming about chasing rabbits. It was raining heavily during the night too.

Lovely sunny day to wake up to. Got a message from my friend that she won't be able to do a walk on Tuesday as she's managed to get an appointment with her hairdresser after work, before the lockdown starts. We'll be going on Thursday instead, weather permitting.
Went out for my usual walk, was breezy but nothing like the gales we had at the weekend. Walked through the woods, lots of twigs and small branches littering the path. Some parts of the field were squelching under my feet. Enjoyed the walk.

After lunch a friend who lives in London phoned, was nice to catch up. Did a bit more painting, going steady with this one to make sure I achieve what I want.

Cut the rest of the meat from the roasted chicken and put it in containers for freezing. By that time the rain had returned and it felt chilly when I went out to the garage. Would like to do some work in the garden but it keeps raining. The other day I yanked out the cosmos from a pot as they'd finally given up,  I have some tulip bulbs I want to plant in it. Would be able to work in peace out there - on Sunday I saw NN getting in her daughter's car with a large and obviously heavy suitcase, looks like she's gone to stay with her for the duration. What a pity she didn't do that in the summer.

Nothing remarkable about today but it was okay. Guess I've had plenty of practice for this.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 2nd November
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Glad to hear you were able to get out for your walk in the dry.. hopefully you’ll be ok for Thursday too as it looks like clear chilly days...
Hope your painting continues to go as you want...
Some peace and quiet without NN at least means you don’t have to worry about going in the garden!

It was very windy during the night and the sudden gusts kept waking me up... it felt like the house was in a tumble dryer and ready to lift off at any point..
It was bright and sunny when I got up and I put the washing out held on with lots of pegs ... I felt quite worn out by the time I’d battled getting it all on the line!
With Thursdays deadline looming fast I decided I needed to get the parcel off to my Son in OZ.
 I wrapped the two jars of Marmite in bubble wrap,I’d found a nice Xmas card I’d made last year and I put in two Scandi felt tree decorations I’d also made... he’s going to have enough Marmite to last a lifetime as my daughter sent him 4 jars!
I went off to the post office and duly sent it off.... think the postage app I’ve got is way off as it cost me about £23 to send 😳😳 but he’s worth every penny!
I needed to get some fresh vegs/fruit so I went to the greengrocers next... then to Lidl’s ... I expected it to be a lot busier than it was but it was gone 1pm so perhaps people had been out early... shelves were starting to look a little bare but I won’t need to go back for the next month now..
.finally I went to the big craft warehouse we have as I needed more interlining for face coverings, stuffing for soft toys and Christmas card blanks...that too was very quiet. It’s a wonderful place and usually bustling... more staff than shoppers today. I know the manageress there well and she told me that if I needed anything I could phone, pay and either they’d deliver or I could c n c. They’ve been doing good business during all these months which is pleasing to hear... but non of the workshops or their big demonstration days ...
Once home late lunch and then got on with face coverings whilst I watched Michael Palin... I do like him he’s very talented ... The Life of Brian was one of the funniest things I’ve watched....
Dinner was yesterday’s beef. Sliced up in gravy with mash and vegs..
Watched some tv....
Did two things that tell me winter is on the way... put heavier weight duvet on and set heating to come on twice a day... up to now just been for odd hour or so...
Hope everyone is getting organised with the next months lockdown approaching fast...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Monday was the first milestone since Nick died in August. It would have been his 42nd birthday.
We had invariably gone out somewhere for a meal with him and with encouragement from Mark (London) and Andrew (Australia) we booked somewhere we had often been with Nick.

It was a lovely meal, good food and service and plenty of separation. In chatting with the staff the facts of the situation came out and we were offered a drink "on the house". Very nice touch.

When we arrived home there was a plastic bag outside the front door. Nick's best mate Chris here in Radstock had just called by and left two bottles of wine "for his birthday". Strangely they were two bottles of  our favourite wine. :) :)

We have been so blessed with such thoughtfulness  in so many ways in our recent dark days, but are gradually coming to terms and trying to keep positive.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Aww Jeff, I am so glad that you and your wife managed to mark Nick's birthday in such a lovely way. 
The milestones are SO hard to negotiate.

After an average day I set off in my little old car, (no sat nav,) for our 3rd evening Morris practise since March. Usually I double up, but for various reasons, unusually I was alone yesterday.  But I had checked the map, scribbled directions and knew the route.  The first thing that happened was the slip road off the dual carriageway had been closed, and I was certain I would end up in Exeter, but I was able to take a different exit, and struggle back to goal.
We had a lovely practise, distanced with masks, and waved our goodbyes, as we are not hopeful of meeting again this year. I decided to take a route through Newton Abbot to get back to Paignton, and was very distressed to find a police road block at the station so I could not get back to the dual carriage way.
Back tracked to find another slip road closed......
Well, I won't trouble you with the details..... suffice it to say I ended up going via Totnes to get back home.  :'(  There are certainly quicker routes through the unlit lanes, but I get lost using them in daylight!

Enough said probably...... onwards and upwards.
More of the same for Caroline and Roobarb.... (good luck with the art work).
Enjoy your day if you can folks.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 08:07 GMT (UK) »
A difficult time for you and your wife Jeff... but having the back up of family and thoughtfulness of your Sons mate all help to start putting your lives back together again... a lovely idea to go out for a meal in celebration / remembrance of his birthday too... you’re very brave... onwards and upwards..

MH - I don’t envy you trying to find alternative routes when those expected ones are closed! It’s hard enough at the best of times but not in the dark and without a sat nav... you can get ones that just sit on the dashboard my OH has one that he keeps in the glove box and just gets out when needed.... mine is integral but not as straightforward as his to operate.... Christmas present opportunity perhaps. 😄
Sad not to see your dancing friends as you’ve only just been able to sort your venue out... keep fingers crossed everyone will behave as they should and we might all be able to do some sort of meeting up in December...
We all have to stay positive... I’ve got over my initial feelings of doom and am looking on this month as a productive time by enjoying making my Christmas cards as well as sewing and tge time will fly by....
Only downside is OH not being able to play golf which is ridiculous as it’s outside, distanced and only with one other! Ah well so long as he doesn’t decide to start decorating we’ll be fine... 🤞🤞

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, I do so agree about "OH not being able to play golf which is ridiculous as it’s outside, distanced and only with one other!"
With ref to "Ah well so long as he doesn’t decide to start decorating we’ll be fine... 🤞🤞"... we popped to B&Q early on Sunday morning, hoping to look at the plants. Pouring rain, and a massive queue.  Went for a walk instead, and called back later.  I asked if it is always so busy on a Sunday.  NO!! Vastly more people than normal..... :-\
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Well that’s my fear.... bored and indoors never bodes well.....
Just hope he thinks about the two 1000 piece jigsaws not done yet instead!
His backs been giving him lot of jip over last week to the extent he’s had to take codine... never takes any unless it’s bad so just been resting.... he had back op 20+ yrs ago and been fine but odd times it gives him few problems! Doesn’t do much for his temperament either 😢understandably..... good job I have my work room to retreat to 🙂
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 09:23 GMT (UK) »

I think under the circumstances we all need our own space, mu husband insists on going to the gym 3 days a week, not for his body I might add, at the moment his time is limited  but it gets him out to possibly chat to others if he can and of  course I get on and do my own thing till lunch time

I started off very well at the beginning of lockdown till my husband had pneumonia, then it all stopped and he just sat around, it is almost catching to be honest so I never really got to do what I intended  to do in getting things sorted out, just did bits and pieces, I wanted to  sort the loft out, having never moved I have 56 years of "stuff" including a lot of things for my stall at the church bazaars which haven't taken place this year.

I just feel thankful that we aren't living in  small confines and can't have a little bit of our own space, I do count my blessings but it doesn't stop me complaining from time to time

We just have to get on with it

Take care

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 09:38 GMT (UK) »
You’re so right LM....it’s so important to have some time to yourself to do things you want..... I sometimes feel guilty as I can find so many things to do in the winter.... my OH activities involve outside projects.... unless it’s decorating...which I stay away from as much as possible...  I always end up being the gofor....  not that I mind but it’s usually when I’m in the middle of something...
Shouldn’t moan really as we have each other and I know it’s incredibly hard for those who only have their own company all the time....
Well the suns shining today... for the moment... wish I’d put the washing machine on now...😤😤...
Have a good day and glad you were able to enjoy your birthday...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK