Author Topic: Death of Margaret Jane Johnston, wife of Cornwall McCready  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Margaret Jane Johnston, wife of Cornwall McCready
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 September 21 10:23 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, Alastair  :)

Peggy13 is on here regularly so she should pick up on your reply and post here in response.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Al Ditty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 September 21 10:44 BST (UK) »
Many thanks KG for the welcome.

Al

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 September 21 14:23 BST (UK) »
How great to hear from you, Alastair. If we are talking about the same Cornwall being your mother's grandfather, then your grandfather must be either Samuel or Edward. I was to Ireland twice before Covid, and I hope to return when things settle down. I visited Wood's Chapel several times.
How far back in your family tree have you managed to research? My main family of interest is the Johnston family. You may know that Cornwall's father-in-law was Andrew Johnston who was first married to Nancy Wallace in Co. Tyrone. So Margaret Jane Johnston had several  brothers as well as several half-siblings. Would love to compare notes. 
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Al Ditty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 September 21 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Peggy.

Yes definitely the same connection. My grandfather was Samuel but I never met him. I did meet Uncle Edward (Eddie) though.

I’ll speak to mum when I visit with her again next weekend to see if she has any more information . But I am very much a novice in this family tree stuff.

Great that you were able to visit. Whereabouts in the world are you?

Great to connect. Al

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 September 21 19:41 BST (UK) »
I live in British Columbia, Canada but was trying to connect with Johnstons in/near Magherafelt. I love Ireland.
I didn't know my grandmother's siblings other than a one time meeting with her sister Rose who was in her 70s or 80s at the time. So your mom may not know her grandmother's siblings. But I have 3 brothers for Margaret Jane from Andrew's second wife Rachel Margaret Lennox. And I have traced Joseph, William, Wallace and Annie from the first marriage from birth to death with rumours that there was also  a Margaret and a Bessie. I wonder if there would be a Margaret from each marriage. I would be thrilled if your mother could fill in any blanks. Maybe she has old photos, letters, whatever. I know that Andrew Johnston's father was Joseph but I don't know his mother's name (suspect Elizabeth) and I don't know if Andrew connects to the other Johnstons in Magherafelt as he was born Co. Armagh and resided near Coagh in his first marriage. Here's hoping your mom can recall some things about the family tree.
When did your grandfather Samuel  die?

Offline Al Ditty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 September 21 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Peggy 13.

Just visiting mum at the weekend.

She loved to hear the information you have.

Her dad Samuel died on 01 April 1978.

My mum was 3 or 4 when her grandmother died. She recalls holding her hand, coming from the gospel hall beside their home place in Aughrim.

Sorry we don’t have much more information than that.

Alastair

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 11 September 21 22:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your prompt reply. I am guessing your grandfather Samuel died in Ireland. Would it be possible to know his wife's name?
If your mom recalls anything else, please let me know.
Good luck in your research.
Peggy