Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 4th November  (Read 548 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 4th November
« on: Wednesday 04 November 20 22:44 GMT (UK) »
It would have been a great day to go to the beach but I still didn't have much energy when I got up despite having slept for nine hours. Wasn't properly awake, realised I needed to put the bin out so splashed my face, threw some clothes on and did so. Came back in for plenty of tea. Did usual walk, it was a gorgeous sunny day.

After lunch I edged the front lawn so it looks neat for all my visitors – the postie, the Tesco delivery driver, the Amazon delivery driver......!  Good to be able to do these things without being observed by NN, much more relaxing. Pulled a few dead bits out of the back garden, didn't want to do too much today.
Came in and did some more painting, I'm enjoying doing it. Will have to do some work tomorrow to the other painting, the one I need to do for art class. Got a phone call from a friend, was a nice surprise and good to chat. Made some changes to Tesco order for the weekend, have been looking for something different to eat. Found some 'free from' cream cheese, will give that a try.

Fish for tea again, watched Portrait Artist, I thought some of the submissions were good but most of  the portraits they did in the programme were not a good likeness, the best ones in that respect were of the musician who turned up in a huge coat, she must have been boiling! Lots of fireworks going off tonight, people must have been doing it tonight before they're more restricted. Hope that means there won't be many tomorrow but I doubt it.

I could probably copy and paste this for many days in the future, nothing very different. Ah well, I'm still alive and solvent, will settle for that.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 4th November
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 November 20 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Great to see you’ve posted Roobarb stops me thinking shall I shan’t I!
Glad you’ve had a bright sunny day always lifts the spirits and to be able to relax in your garden knowing you’re not going to be spyed on must be very relaxing... hopefully she’ll stay away for a good length of time!

It was a lovely sunny morning... no hint of frosty ground not even slightly! After breakfast cleaned both bathrooms and bedroom, got the vacuum out and wizzed over all upstairs... very satisfying... how sad is that! ...
Drive to meet Sammy and drop off the 177 face coverings ... she was running late so popped into the small Budgens for milk and found they got the 0% Greek yogurt I like so bought 3 tubs as it’s got a long life so should last! She’s still not arrived so went to collect OH’s prescription from Doctors surgery...
Finally I give her face coverings.... she gives me a part roll of 🌈 fabric to make 2xlge & 3xlge sizes 😱😱.... more fabric for face coverings and a new child’s duvet to make up bags for Christmas gifts.... think I’m going to be busy....
Returning home to find OH has already cleared up leaves in back garden... good chap... still got front to do... sweep back patio and go to help in front garden... we fill five bags, two of which are builders big ones .... off to the skip as our compost bins are full up... thankfully we only have 20 minute wait.... back home fill up one more of the big bags and OH decides to leave it till later in the a/noon to go when it’s quiet...
Lunch, watch the news.... don’t know if I’m more fed up with all lockdown info or US elections.....
OH goes off to the skip taking my dear old clapped out ancient Henry... I wave him goodbye with a 😢 in my eye ..... not really... now got room to put old dyson in the garage instead of taking up room in the boys bedroom - I call it that as they use it when they come to stay.... some chance!
Phone a friend for a quick chat as messaged her a recipe and not sure if she got it or not... we had an interesting conversation as she was only catching every few words and was walking round her house to find a good spot! We got there in the end ... technology eh!
Got dinner ready... baked gammon joint... I put onion, orange and cider in with it..made sliced potatoes layered with leeks, mushrooms tomatoes and feta cheese, then mixed little Greek yogurt with some milk to pour over then baked in the oven, had cabbage and sugar snap peas with it..
Watched tv... lovely programme about Scotland, such beautiful scenery...Escape to the Chateau DIY... think we might have seen it before...
Early night... but not now as been busy on iPad!
Been thinking about my friend who works at Gatwick as she was going to find out if she was going to get the chop at the end of Oct... she’s survived last two rounds... hope she’s ok... sent her a message... not heard back which could bode well as she’s either at work or sleeping due to working shifts... keeping fingers crossed for her... such difficult times for those working....
Well now we’re in new lockdown... don’t suppose it’ll be any different to before...
That’s all folks... keep smiling... only people can’t see with face coverings on!
Stay safe and calm...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 November 20 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Just another quick post. A very dull day with rain forecast for Thursday. (they were right).
Has been very humid for the last couple of days and my feet have come up like little balloons. So no running around today.
People from Mars are voting in key seats in America but don't worry Trump will stop them.  (True I just read in the news, Not fake News).
Have to pick all my strawberry's (a couple of containers worth) before the birds get any fatter. Due to the cat's accident, she can no longer chase them away.
Good Luck with the lockdown.
Stay Safe Stay Strong
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 November 20 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Best wishes to Carole's cat, and wishing her a speedy recovery.... also sorry to hear that your feet have swollen up, and hope you find a way to alleviate that.  When I used to work in retail, standing all day, I would "put my feet up the wall" for 10 minutes when I arrived home from work.
(Sit on the floor beside a wall, lie down and swivel so bum is against skirting board, and feet as high as possible. It must have been useful as I don't have any vein problems.)
More sewing Caroline, wow!  I like the sound of your potato dish.  I have decided to start buying more expensive yogurt, as the cheaper brands are not enjoyable.
Your visitors  :D will notice your immaculate lawn edgings Roobarb, and they will be impressed I am sure.
Diary: H and I walked into town for a few bits, at 09:30 thinking it would still be quiet, but it wasn't. The little model shop was packed, so I didn't bother.  The hardware shop didn't have a plastic measuring jug to replace the one which broke last week, but I did get some handcream from Superdrug, and made a quick dash round Lidl's for an elderly lady who begged a favour.
4 ships in the Bay. I would love to see them coming and going, but I am never there at the critical moment. They just appear, and vanish again.
After lunch on the way to a last garden Morris practise I dropped off the bits from Lidl's. One correct, one not. Must try harder!!  ;)
Practise was fun. Only 4 of us, but it being a sunny afternoon we were able to be outside entirely.
Why is it allowed for 2 people to walk together outside, but not for someone to visit one other in their garden?
The new multi-coloured fairy lights to string around the balcony, (which I bought on-line,) arrived. The solar panel worked so well, the lights were still going at 11:00, and so I turned them off before going to bed. I have put the panel in a box with a clear lid, as my last set was destroyed when the solar unit filled with rain. Hopefully they will survive until we get lighter evenings again.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 November 20 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, I continue to be impressed by the number of face coverings you turn out. I hope things turn out well for your friend's work at Gatwick, such worrying times for so many people.

Carol, hope your feet are soon better and you can resume your running around (within limits!)

MH, good to hear that you enjoyed your dancing. I think the theory behind people meeting up in parks etc is that the authorities can keep any eye on us there but not so easily in private gardens. Very frustrating.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 4th November.
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 November 20 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Ooooh just what I needed,interesting posts.
Dull day today weather wise , but as I had to lie down in a darkened room
it made no difference!
My curtains are back, I did not ask the  price and they collected them and 
brought them back.Not floor to ceiling ,a much smaller window.
But they were £ 55-20 p .,I nearly died when I saw the receipt .
But they do look fresh etc,l
A tartan but only with cream ,caramel and camel colours.I like them.
Well they would  have  put them back for me but I want to wash the frames etc.Then a quicker job for  Christmas,
I have been watching the new comedy show ,” The US Presidential Elections “
Honestly, we should be thankful for what we have got ,imperfect though it is.

Son shopped for me today ,got some flowers as it is my Mum’s anniversary tomorrow.Gosh 63 years,this son was five months old .

Bonfire night and  bangers going off already .

Grand daughter emailed with picture of her cake .
She and gorgeous boyfriend ,think a gorgeous Freddy Flintoff ,made cakes like pumpkins ,looked really good .
Oooh battery low ,will sign off .
Cheerio for now.Viktoria.

Back again ,just watching  a film with the legendary heart throb
Jack Buchanan, 193O’s  song and  dance star of West end shows.

Band Waggon,1953, Fred Astaire also .
Not impressed.

My mother thought he was lovely and he did have an easy elegant style but this film us a Hollywood produced movie ,he is totally out of his comfort zone.

Daughter just emailed, she has closed the workshop down after talking with the lads  and  salesmen ,.
Customers are getting more blasé and reckless ,so
she is worried there will be more awkward scenes as customers try to get in without observing the precautions.
The lads are highly skilled BMW trained mechanics and a good team .
Family men for the most part.

She only had her B12 recently and feels no benefit as yet and here we are again,so perhaps another long time without it.
She is all pins and needles ,nerve damage.

Hope you are all. O.K.
Are you following the US Elections on TV?
Strange system , theirs.
I am surprised so many voted for trump,thought Covid 19 would reveal his real self .

Almost all the leaves are off the dogwood ,a very big shrub.
Buddies too, Apples, Rudbeckia done, pretty “ Baby’s tears “ too now, roses
etc.So a dry day needed to rake them up.
I must also remember to trim back two lovely purple leaved Hebes ,forgot last year so are a bit leggy now .
Well I need a cuppa , so cheerio.
Sleep well everyone and
Viktoria.  Look  after yourselves,.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 November 20 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Carol - hope you’ve got your feet up and resting for a while....

MH - I like the sound of your coloured fairy lights I bet they look lovely... we’ve got some threaded throigh our over hanging outside the front door area... we don’t take them down too much of a pain but it does make the outside look pretty as yours will too from your balcony... lovely that you were able to meet up outside for your last dance for awhile...

Viktoria- yes we’ve been watching that comedy show that is the US Elections.... our reporters seem to be getting quite wound up about it too.... why? Like always they want a definitive answers and seem bemused that the American system doesn’t work like ours!.... frankly I’m fed up with it but I suppose it’s good for a laugh...
You have once again been a busy bee....
Sorry to hear that your daughters business has had to close just because tge general public can’t abide by the rules...
I bet your curtains will look a great when you get them up...
Stay cheerful... not hard for you I know !

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK