Author Topic: Howe family in Staffordshire  (Read 5472 times)

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Howe family in Staffordshire
« Reply #90 on: Friday 28 January 22 07:56 GMT (UK) »
It would be good if we could find George Dawson in 1851
BWH in 1851 was with his first family and listed in the census - Peckham, Camberwell, Surrey and occupation listed as Miller and Baker   Bradshaw Street aged 29   born Sheppey, Kent
The 1855 birth certificate of George Howe says that BWH was a railway pointsman
Would there be a birth notice in the newspaper for George
Not sure if we will solve the mystery
Regards to all

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Friday 28 January 22 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Going back to the baptisms on Freereg

3 children of George Howe/Dawson were christened on the same day 10 January 1866 and siblings of  each written on each baptism.

George HOWE - born 1 July 1855 - father's Forename: George,
Mother's Forename : Mary
Father's surname: DAWSON

so, George was given the middle name HOWE

Frank DAWSON the last child, born 24 April 1866 - wasn't christened until 29 September 1867

----

Then George DAWSON, appears in the Newspaper Articles a month later, Monday 23  November 1867 and he had run off with the Gold, on the Saturday before.

In the article, it says he left a note to his wife, saying she would never see him again, and to kiss his four children.

---

It would seem he'd been planning this for some time and made sure is very young son was Christened before he disappeared.

----

The two girls, Emily Jane and Mary Fear

? whom did they marry and have they been found on census returns.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Friday 28 January 22 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Just to recap:

Frank who was christened just before his father  (George DAWSON)  disappeared in 1867

On Frank's marriage certificate (1894)  - he says his father's name was Baldwin Walter HOWE and proved by DNA

Freereg

Staffordshire, Great Wyrley, St Marks

birth date: 22 April 1866
baptism date: 29 September 1867
person forename: Frank
father's forename: George
mother's forename: Mary
father's surname: DAWSON
person abode: Churchbridge
father's occupation: Messenger at Edge Tool works  (on all children's baptisms) + article on George DAWSON, who ran off with the gold, occupation: Messenger at Edge Tool Works.

---

George HOWE, the brother, named his Son, Robert Frank Walter HOWE

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Friday 28 January 22 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Howe, asked for any other Newspaper Articles on Baldwin Walter HOWE (although this seems a common family name) - not sure if this is a Son, with again the Christian name: Frank

Maidstone Telegraph: Saturday 16 June 1866

Deaths

On the 4th instant, at the residence of his Uncle (W BRISLEY).  Cossington Farm, Aylesford, Frank Charles HOWE second son of Baldwin Water Howe, aged 20.

Another paper, the Maidstone Journel and Kentish Advertiser.... says, this was after a long and painful illness and in his 20 year

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Friday 28 January 22 10:32 GMT (UK) »
'BWH was with his first family and listed in the census - `Peckham, Camberwell Surrey' and occupation listed as Miller and Baker, Bradshaw Street, aged 29 born Sheppey, Kent.'

---

Linked assume to family

British Newspapers on line

Canterbury Journal, Kentish Times and Farmers' Gazette, Kent
25 April 1846

F HOWE Isle of Sheppey -

The insolvent, James Duppa HOWE of Minster, in the Isle of Sheppey, miller, applied for his inter of order and protection.  The insolvent's debts are £275 19s. and his credits but 8s.4d.  He attributes his insolvency to his credit having been stopped, and the insufficienty of his receipts to pay necessary expeneses.  His principal creditors are Mr ROBINSON of Minster, farm and market gardener £146 16s. and £2. 16s. costs.  Mr B D HOWE, of Minster £100; Mr Bentley of Sittingbourne £9 2s. 6d.; Mr R BIGG of Minster £15 5s and  ...  The Court granted the interim order and fixed the 21 May at eleven o'clok for the ins. Ivent to apply for his final order and protection.

---

My x Grandad around this time, was also a Miller, in Gloucestershire who went bankrupt, and it was him who changed his surname on census return and moved to family in Wiltshire and was a labourer in the GWR. (Great Western Railways) :  The Railways were opening up all over the Country.

There was a Corn Law in England from 1815 and 1846 with trade restrictions on imported corn into the United Kingdom.  After that it was lifted and I was told, many Miller's went out of business.

Can only assume Baldwin, might have been in the same position - and disappeared to escape debt.

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Friday 28 January 22 21:54 GMT (UK) »
The previous information regarding the various Howe family members are connected to BWH
What I don't understand is why BWH name as father appears on birth record of George but does not appear on the baptism records and why BWH name as father appears on marriage record of Frank
Particularly the 1894 marriage of Frank who listed him as deceased, it shows that Frank knew his father's name but the birth was recorded as Frank Dawson
Where is Frank in 1891?
The marriage of George Howe 1880 shows George Howe as the father (clerk)
George also continued to use Howe from his marriage
Maybe we will never know, but it has been an interesting story and I have appreciated all the assistance
So if BWH is George Dawson who went off with Miss Pink where is his death record and burial - I doubt whoever was with him at time of death knew who he was really and possibly we will not find him - yet another missing mystery family member in the tree

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Friday 28 January 22 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Another interesting point is that both George and Frank gave their children very much Howe christian names such as Frank Baldwin, James Richard, George, Frank Walter - which is a further indication that they knew their father as Howe

Can you confirm if George was bp as George Dawson or George Howe Dawson

Any clues on the girls - Mary in 1881?    Emily Jane in 1891?

Current thinking is children raised as thinking father was George Dawson but as adults they learnt of the Howe connection and began to use Howe instead of Dawson
Interestingly mother Mary is listed with George (son) as Mary Howe in 1891

Capetown - in previous post you said  'so 1871 census appears to be him' - who were you referring to - I might have missed something

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Saturday 29 January 22 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Chempat had the clue about Frank Dawson 1866 way back on page one of this post and we all missed it, but we have come full circle ......... A

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Saturday 29 January 22 09:38 GMT (UK) »
I posted that so long ago that I cannot remember the exact reasons, but I do not usually throw random people into the mix, so I was interested in the Great Wyrley birth place.

I have just been investigating someone who took his wife's (married) surname on their subsequent marriage.  That was fairly quick to sort out.

Have you found anything more on Miss Pink - I only ask because I like the name, and because I like meandering around unrelated people.  She started a school and then disappeared?  What about her poor pupils, or perhaps the 'school' was not very successful? Schools pop-up and disappear fairly quickly as women try to support themselves.