Author Topic: Struggling to decipher name of Mother  (Read 1187 times)

Offline tinkerbell5

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Struggling to decipher name of Mother
« on: Friday 06 November 20 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Please would someone be able to help me with deciphering this handwriting?

I'm searching for the parents of Patrick Flynn (born 1826 in Ireland and died 9 Mar 1907 in Scotland). Luckily on his marriage record to Margaret Duffy in 1856 (in Scotland), it states the name of his parents. I can make out "Hugh Flynn" and "Farmer" but I have no idea of his mother's name written underneath!

Thank you in advance.

:)

Side note: Annoyingly his death record states "Michael Flynn" is his father, so I'm hoping that having his mother's name may help the already difficult search through the Irish records.

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Struggling to decipher surname of Mother
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 November 20 15:55 GMT (UK) »
My first thought was "Nabby", short for Abigail I believe.

EDIT: Sorry, I just realised you've asked to decipher the surname, not the first name  ;D

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 November 20 16:06 GMT (UK) »
To me it looks like Flynn  ???, may be cousins married or the name was common in the area where parents were married.

Annoyingly his death record states "Michael Flynn" is his father,
Who registered the death? The informant may not have been someone familiar with the family whereas the groom himself would have given the info on the marriage entry.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 November 20 16:08 GMT (UK) »
I agree, josey, I would say Flynn too.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 November 20 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Sally Flynn maybe
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 November 20 16:11 GMT (UK) »
I came across a wedding witness in Dublin who signed as ' Sabbeth ' and her name was Elizabeth, so a pet name could be ' Sabby '
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline tinkerbell5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Struggling to decipher name of Mother
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 November 20 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Sorry everyone, I do mean the first name, I put surname by mistake on the subject. Thank you for your suggestions  :)

josey, It was his son who registered the death so that would make sense!

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 November 20 16:23 GMT (UK) »
I see from census Patrick & Margaret had a son Hugh b ca 1859 & in 1891 there is a grandson Hugh b ca 1880. This suggests that Hugh is a family name In 1861 Patrick & Margaret are both said to have been born in Leitrim. Have you looked on https://www.rootsireland.ie/ for a birth of a Patrick to a Hugh ca 1826 in Leitrim? It is indexed but you will need to register & subscribe but you can get day/week/month subscriptions. The day one is worth it if you save up several queries. Once you have a parish, you can browse for free on https://registers.nli.ie/
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 November 20 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Compared with the other letters (bs and upsweep of the M) , it looks like Nabby. I see that GenesA also reads it as this.

I've not come seen/heard of this before - Abby or Abbie but not Nabby  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***