Author Topic: Grandfather on TV at Wimbledon (tennis) - not sure of year  (Read 2941 times)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Tracing Welsh/Irish roots from Asia with no money!
    • View Profile
Re: Grandfather on TV at Wimbledon (tennis) - not sure of year
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 06 April 22 14:29 BST (UK) »
Having had no success with the other lines of investigation I'm going back to the Womens singles and hoping they'll all eventually appear on Youtube...

Mainly for my own reference, here are the womens singles quarter finals to finals from 1977 to 1980 (information from the Wikipedia Wimbledon Womens Singles pages for each year, e.g. here's 1980). I've included links to all the full match videos (usually an hour and a half to two hours long) I've found on YouTube. I haven't watched any of them yet, although I've quickly scrolled along the timeline for each, and I've had one or two playing at double speed on my second monitor while I've been doing other things - so I could still have missed the incident even if it was in one of these.

1977 WOMENS SINGLES
Quarter-finalsSemi-finalsFinal
Evert v King
Evert v Wade
Wade v Casals
Wade v Stove
Reid v Barker
Barker v Stove
Stove v Navratilova

1978 WOMENS SINGLES
Evert v King
Evert v Wade
Wade v Jasovec
Evert v Navratilova
Ruzici v Goolagong
Goolagong v Navratilova
Kruger v Navratilova

1979 WOMENS SINGLES
Navratilova v Fromholz
Navratilova v Austin
Austin v King
Navratilova v Evert
Wade v Goolagong
Goolagong v Evert
Turnbull v Evert

1980 WOMENS SINGLES
Navratilova v King
Navratilova v Evert
Evert v Jaeger
Evert v Goolagong
Turnbull v Goolagong
Goolagong v Austin
Stevens v Austin

I also found 1980 4th round Goolagong v Mandlikova
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)
Mallow, Co.Cork: BROWNE (1895-1935)
Caher, Co.Tipp: BROWNE (pre1895), PURTELL(pre1895)
Cashel, Co.Tipp: FANNING (pre1886)
Llanelly, Carms: GRIFFITHS (pre1934), REYNOLDS (pre1901), WILLIAMS (pre1934)
Ton Pentre, Glams: LEWIS (pre1901)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 24 February 23 06:20 GMT (UK) »
One of our cousins has suddenly recalled that it was (they believe) the year that Virginia Wade won, i.e. 1977.

So our new odds-on favourite is the Virginia Wade v Betty Stove 1977 Womens' Singles final where Wade won in three sets, 4–6, 6–3, 6–1

I found a 43 minute video of it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNvkSZdZHec, but since the full video of the three set Evert v Wade semi-final (2-6, 6-4, 1-6) was an hour and 40 minutes ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNvkSZdZHec ) it's obviously not the full recording.

So if any tennis fan does happen to have a full recording of this match can you look out for a sound engineer fixing the umpire's microphone at some point. If you do spot it, could you just post a (cropped) screenshot showing the engineer so we can confirm 100% that this is the match.

TIA (and fingers. etc firmly crossed).

Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 24 February 23 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,

Might also serve to watch the semi's as well. Wade v Evert and Barker v Stove and the doubles final Navratilova & Stove v ???.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 24 February 23 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Agreed.

The Wade/Evert semi is on Youtube (fullmatch, official Wimbledon channel) and I've already checked that.

A chap over on the tennis forum sells DVDs and has already had a quick scan of the Wade/Stove final for me, but no sign of the incident. I've asked if he can also check the Barker/Stove semi-final, and I'm really keeping my fingers crossed.

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 27 February 23 23:30 GMT (UK) »
On a sidenote, the BBC outside broadcast cameras seem to be set up mainly on centre court and no 1 court, and only during the later stages of the tournament (gleaned frpm a cursory look through ptogram listings of the free Radio Times archive - https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/issues)

So if we can find the date and court of a specific match we might be able to cross-check to see if it was likely to be televised. I'm thinking specifically of the Gerulaitus v Stewart 3rd round 1978 match mentioned earlier in this topic.

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 00:10 GMT (UK) »
I once got a copy of the BBC's coverage Albert Hall Remembrance Service from the 50's for my mum, as my uncle (who we had lost) featured as part of the Queens Colour Squadron.

Coincidentally, the BBC archive has now moved to a building not far from us (although it is not directly open to the public).
As you now have a reasonable clue as to when this was, maybe this link may be of some help:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/researching-bbc-archives/zrqpwty

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Reuters owned or filmed footage, archived by British Pathe. An example below from 1978 shows the TV cameras in use in early round matches in 1978.

https://www.britishpathe.com/asset/133376/

S_L