Author Topic: 1939 War Registry  (Read 1055 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 War Registry
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 November 20 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Was she also employed by the school next door, No 19?

There was no school at number 19 but there was a retired schoolmaster living there.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 November 20 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much. I wondered why she was working in Colwyn Bay. Must have been a hotel. Never thought a 20 year old would be that adventurous :)
Thank you for help, much obliged.
Victoria
Many young girls had to leave home to go into service ,especially “ country girls”. They were much sought after ,healthy and strong very often,

There were agencies in towns where they could register , posts were arranged etc.
My grandmother was such a one ,came to Manchester from Shropshire after the 1891 census born in 1866 she was 25.
She did that because there was no employment in the remote rural area where she lived, her father and four brothers were unemployed at  the lead mine where they had been employed was in difficulties ,and men were laid off.
She was a little older than the average girl.
So many very young girls flooded in to big towns for work.
They were open to the worst kind of exploitation ,especially if “ living in” so
Charitable organisations waited at Railway stations to meet such girls ,talked to them and prevented them from being tricked by pimps into a life of you know what!
Hostels were organised  and the girls were encouraged to “ live out” but in a well supervised hostel.
A fascinating history ,
Best of luck with your search.
Viktoria.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 November 20 12:30 GMT (UK) »
I've just re-looked at the 1911 census entry I mentioned.  The address was Park Road, which I see is now the next road to Grove Park, and in the household were 2 others with occupation as Laundress - one from Colwyn Bay and the other from Sunderland.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY