Author Topic: Sarah Marshall from Motherwell 1922  (Read 696 times)

Offline lud

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Marshall from Motherwell 1922
« on: Saturday 07 November 20 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Greetings all,
can't find any more info,on  my Ancestors after they departed from Glasgow to Ontario,
Sarah Marshall nee Woods born Dalziel 24 October 1896,her husband James Marshall b 1893 left first in 1921, and was living in 13 Northcoast Street Hamilton Ontario in 1923.
Sarah and her daughter Mary 1 yr old, arrived on S S Metagama 11 Dec 1922 destination 1273 Bannon St Hamilton Ontario, I have a copy of the ships Manifest, with the above information,
any help would be great.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Marshall from Motherwell 1922
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 November 20 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Lud,

I don't have much but there are no streets in Hamilton named Northcoast or Bannon.  I'm pretty sure it was suppose to be Northcote and Barton which are a 10min walk away from each other in the east end.  This makes sense given its proximity to the Steel Mills (his field of employment), a short walk away.

There is a lonely tree on Ancestry by a GMarshall457 that has James Boustan and Sarah a daughter May and a son Thomas.  There is also 3 other unnamed children one with a child.  Obviously created by someone with no knowledge of Scotland given James birth location is identified as Buck's County, perhaps it was the grandkid who started this.  And, what nails it is he used James Boustan as his given name which matches his birth in Muirkirk (Ayrshire) and to his parents on the 1920 marriage.  He indicates that James and Sarah died in Toronto.

Not much perhaps those with access to Toronto records will chirp in.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 November 20 13:28 GMT (UK) »
A possible in the 1945 Voters' Lists in Toronto at 41 Givens Street:

Marshall, Thomas, navy
Marshall, James, war worker
Marshall, Mrs. James
Marshall, Sadie, box maker
Marshall, May, bar wrapper

In 1953 at the same address:

Marshall, James, precision grinder
Marshall, Sarah
Marshall, Thomas, pressman
Marshall, William, compositor

In 1949, only William is listed with his parents, as an apprentice, so both girls are out of the house / married by then. I don't find them at that address after 1953.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 November 20 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Followed Thomas as a pressman, and in 1957, he is living with his parents at 487 Nairn Avenue in Toronto. They are at the same address in 1958.  In 1965, I find a Thomas Marshall, a printing pressman with his wife Norah at 89 Clements Road, Toronto.

Offline lud

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 November 20 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you
DonM and eileenwilson for your input to my request, I will ponder over them,  to night.

Cheers

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 November 20 06:06 GMT (UK) »
Found an obit for a Sarah Marshall...that might fit with the information found by Don and Eileen...

Sarah Marshall died at Princess Margaret Hospital (which is in Toronto) on May 1 1965.  Wife of James Marshall.  Mother of May (Mrs C Featherstone), Sally (Mrs M Thatcher), Tom, B* and J* Marshall.  Interment Holy Cross Cemetery.

Globe and Mail, 3 May 1965, page 36.

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 November 20 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Daughter Sally Marshall Thatcher obituary...2016

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/thestar/obituary.aspx?n=sally-thatcher-marshall&pid=182489217&fhid=11582

Looks like Sally's siblings M, B and J are still living.   I will modify my previous post accordingly...

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 November 20 06:35 GMT (UK) »