Author Topic: 1921 census  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1921 census
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 April 23 12:35 BST (UK) »

Her son Henry's baptism in 1919 has same address (transcript only)

Henry George EVANS Birth 24 Jun 1918
Baptism 09 May 1919 St Andrew Plaistow
Mother Annie, Residence 167 New Barn St
Archive Essex Record Office, Archive ref D/P 527/1/10
Record set Essex Baptisms

The SCOTT family were at that address in 1911 and were still there in 1921.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWF7-764

Frederick George SCOTT married Alice Jane SCOTT in 1886, his father Henry SCOTT, watch maker, her father George SCOTT, rate collector.  Two children that I can see, Miriam Beatrice (married 1908 to Charles Henry SIMONDS) and George Edward Louis (who is mistranscribed in 1921 as George Eden), married 1920 to Edith COOPER.

1921 census free search

Henry Evans b 1918 West Ham, Essex living in Parish of Leyton, No one else showing on the same record.
results for orphanhood show both parents dead and relationship to head is inmate. I've tried several of the names from the Institutions list but got nowhere.
www.findmypast.com.au/articles/world-records/1921-census---institutions-and-prisons

You really need to see this record to find which institution he was in.  You can then follow that up to see what information about him was recorded.

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 April 23 13:21 BST (UK) »
At this time she is working as a munitions worker at 52 Ravenscroft road, Canningtown.

That was a residential address in 1911 and 1921.  Can you please transcribe each column of the birth certificate?

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Charles Bocking Rogers & sons, Hendon1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 April 23 14:04 BST (UK) »
Registration District: Plaistow, county of West Ham C.B.
when and where born : (476) 23rd june 1918 26 Howards road (U.D.)
name : Henry George
name of Father : - (stripe)
name of Mother : Annie Evans a munitions worker of 52 Ravenscroft road, Canning Town (U.D.)
residence: 167 new Barnes street, Canning town
when registerded: 7th august 1918
Sudbury Suffolk, Bocking/Braintree Essex, Hendon/Bethnal green Middx.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 April 23 14:49 BST (UK) »
He was in the workhouse aka Central Home.  This link mentions any available records
https://www.workhouses.org.uk/WestHam/

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 April 23 22:48 BST (UK) »
The address, 26 Howards Road, was the Plaistow maternity hospital.  There are contact details here for archival records:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/894a57a6-e29d-47b9-88b8-9c8a85faf411

I think that her address when the child was born was 52 Ravenscroft, and then she was at 167 New Barn when the birth was registered 45 days later.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 April 23 23:14 BST (UK) »
The only other clue of his heritage is that he list his fathers name as Herbert Evans on his marriage certificate

Well there were two Herberts at 52 Ravenscroft, but one was dead in 1918 and one was very young but old enough to father a child.

1911 census, Herbert NORRIS, wife Alice and children.  Father Herbert wasn't actually at home on census night, he was in a hospital.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWFQ-PMV

Alice is still at that address in 1921 with her daughters and the eldest, Gladys, with her husband.

This was a second marriage for Alice.  Her maiden surname was TUCK and she married firstly to Arthur Martin ROGERS in 1886 and then married Herbert NORRIS in 1901.  Her first husband died in 1899 and Herbert is boarding with her in 1901.  Father Herbert died in 1912 and the son Herbert would have turned 17 toward the end of 1918.

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 07:30 BST (UK) »
He was in the workhouse aka Central Home.  This link mentions any available records
https://www.workhouses.org.uk/WestHam/

Dear rosie99,
May I ask how you discovered this? Did you find a record of Henry George Evans as a resident of the West Ham Union House (Central Home) in the 1921 census?
In an earlier reply by 'Comerton' with a link to 'Find my past freesearch' which was also beyond my search skills/experience, so I am kinda struggling to keep up with this  :P
best wishes
Pete

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 11:25 BST (UK) »
May I ask how you discovered this? Did you find a record of Henry George Evans as a resident of the West Ham Union House (Central Home) in the 1921 census?

Go to Findmypast and without signing in look at the front page where it says start a family tree; click on the link below which says what else can I do and choose search family records; it will show you a search screen and enter Henry Evans b 1918 (+/- 0 years) in West Ham, Essex, also enter 1921 census where it asks for record set.   It will show that there are 4 records available. Click on the button that says 4 results and it will then ask you to sign up for a free search.  Do this - it won't ask for a card or anything at this stage; say no to the free trial and it will then show you the 4 records - only one matches perfectly in Leyton, Essex.    As you click on the results - go for original image it will give you the opportunity to buy just that record.

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 18:16 BST (UK) »
@ nestagj,  thanks very much for the instruction, worked perfectly  ;D

@ rosie99,  I will be contacting the workhouses.org in the link you mentioned and hope that it yealds results

@ Dundee,  Wow! you certainly delved into this one! Your theory looks very plausible the pieces all seem to fit even down to the name 'Herbert' ! This is something I will be delving into too this Easter weekend (once I found all the chocolate eggs that is). My first aim now is to find out when and why Annie passed leaving young Henry to be raised at Central Home.
After many years of searching, I think that the picture is now gradually being put to canvas.
I want to thank everyone who has helped and sent me Pm's  ::) very much appreciated